It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:16

Wood burning stoves

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Wood burning stoves

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2019, 11:29

Make sure your woods dry! :D

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y-2019.pdf

"We will legislate to prohibit the sale of the most polluting fuels. In August 2018, government issued a consultation on cleaner domestic burning of solid fuels and wood. The purpose was to identify appropriate action on wood which would enable people who buy wood in large quantities and season it at home to continue to do so, but to reduce the sale of wood that has not been seasoned or dried, which is highly polluting when burned".
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Wood burning stoves

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2019, 11:39

Woodster wrote:Make sure your woods dry! :D

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y-2019.pdf

"We will legislate to prohibit the sale of the most polluting fuels. In August 2018, government issued a consultation on cleaner domestic burning of solid fuels and wood. The purpose was to identify appropriate action on wood which would enable people who buy wood in large quantities and season it at home to continue to do so, but to reduce the sale of wood that has not been seasoned or dried, which is highly polluting when burned".

Those statements are mutually contradictory. Typical govt/civil service nonsense.

Wonder what happened to that proposed legislation re the sale and mail order delivery of anything with a sharp edge. Like chisels.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 14 Jan 2019, 11:47

Well I have a neighbour who burns wet wood and what a stink it makes.
Our little estate was built to be “powered” by natural gas so no chimneys.
Over the years a number have installed wood burners and on foggy nights the stench is horrific as the smoke is not blown away.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jan 2019, 15:12

Burning unseasoned wood as well as the pollution risk is also uneconomic and sheer madness. Wet wood does not burn as hot, emits more smoke and produces more ash. Chimneys would soon get coated in tar/creosote which would need cleaning at least twice a year to prevent the risk of chimney fires.

There has been a fashion over the past 20 odd years to have wood burning stoves in modern homes, more for affect than practicality. What ever happened to smokeless zones in urban built up areas?

Seasoned wood is about 20-30% more expensive here and I have the space to store at least 2 winters worth at a time so I hope the same restrictions on selling only dry wood won't cross the channel.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2019, 15:18

It has also been fashionable over here Andy. They do look nice but I'm not sure I could be bothered with one to be honest. I can understand those that have access to free wood using them though. I must admit I didn't know about the wet wood issue, I assumed folks let it dry out before burning.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jan 2019, 15:33

The problem in a urban areas is space. We buy wood in early spring for burning the winter in the year after so it seasons for at least 18 months, often more as we normally have some left over from the previous year.

We burn about 8 steres (aprox 8 cubic meters) which when stacked in four rows about 6' high, 12' long and 2' wide with space in between for the mower. That would be a big chunk of the garden in most modern homes.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2019, 17:32

So Govey is saying in one breath that

"they will enable people who buy wood in large quantities and season it at home"

but then goes on to say

"reduce the sale of wood that has not been seasoned"

Anyway, doesn't fuss me ! :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jan 2019, 22:35

Sounds just like the Diesel thing all over again.

Burning wood was all carbon neutral and to be encouraged. Now it is frowned upon!

Ijits!
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat