It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

External door panels ?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

External door panels ?

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2019, 08:21

Hi chaps

LOML wants this back door made for us.

I was proposing to make the rails and stiles from Tricoya but was wondering about the panels. Would it be better to use Medite Accoya ?

Regarding the construction, those panels look flush on the original and so I'm guessing that maybe they rebated the rails and stiles and dropped the panels in ?

That cock bead ...can't get my head round that one. Planted on ? It's not on the panel..RH middle panel has split but the bead is intact. I don't think it's moulded onto the rails or stiles (could be though) as it doesn't run al the way through that top rail, for example. But it doesn't look planted on as they look flush with the panels and rails etc. Mmmmm.....coming round, as I type, that they are moulded on the rails and stiles.

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Mike G » 11 Jan 2019, 09:07

Don't you think they've rebated the edges of the panels such that the back of the panel sits flush with the back of the grooves in the stiles and rails? Thus moving the panel outwards from the more usual position, to finish flush with the outside face of the door?

As always with this forum, the images are too small to see detail, and I can't even see any cock beads.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 11 Jan 2019, 11:03

Mike G wrote:As always with this forum, the images are too small to see detail,

Mike apologies if this is granny sucking eggs time.
Images hosted by the forum are limited to keep storage space and hence costs down to a non advertisement funded level.

Images held off site, like Rogers held on Flickr, are limited to the size of the image on the host. A click on the image and a subsequent enlargement of the image on the host site could make a much large image available.
Unfortunately the image Roger uploaded to Flickr is quite small.

Any chance of a large one Roger?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2019, 11:28

Andyp wrote:...
Any chance of a large one Roger?

I'm afraid not as it came off a For Sale site.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 16:52

How bizarre I'm making one very similar to that now. I'm using sapele for the stiles and rails and tricoya for the panels. It's slightly different in terms of proportions buy not by much. I've grooved.......I'll post some pictures when I'm next in the shop The cock beads I'm gonna prime all the way around then then pin them onto the stiles/rails afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 16:53

Ahhh, I think your tricoya and accoya are a bit fuddled up.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2019, 17:19

Coley wrote:Ahhh, I think your tricoya and accoya are a bit fuddled up.

LOL ! Tricoya = solid wood Medite Accoya = MDF type Tricoya. Think that's right.

Looking forward to the pictures. Any reason why you went sapele ? My concern is stability given the 'climate' although it's not exposed to direct rain. Well..not all the time :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 17:34

I've never had an issue with the stability of sapele so longs it's painted or finished properly. That said a few years ago I did increase the gaps between frame and door from 2mm all the way around to 3mm top and sides and 4mm on the bottom. This was mainly to suit most draughtstrip recommended gaps though.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 17:37

RogerS wrote:
LOL ! Tricoya = solid wood Medite Accoya = MDF type Tricoya. Think that's right.

That's the one

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 18:33

Here's where I am at the moment.
Stiles have got a 12mm wide groove around 8mm deep. Every edge that takes a panel had the same groove. The top edge of every rail then had a bevel on it.
The cock beads will be primed all the way around and just pinned in place. Hopefully any water that may find its way between the panel and cock bead will be able to find its way out with the bevel helping things.
The rest of the beads will just be fixed as normal.
Hth

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 08 Feb 2019, 06:51

Did you bang this project on the head Roger?

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Feb 2019, 08:24

Coley wrote:Did you bang this project on the head Roger?

Hi Coley....

LOL...other things have priority, I'm afraid.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby will1983 » 08 Feb 2019, 11:20

Coley wrote:Image

Hi Coley, I'm new to this whole door making lark so please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

Looking at the section above i presume the exterior is the left side? If that is the case, what stops water from accumulating at the bottom of the groove in the rail?
I can see how it being chamfered and lower than the interior side prevents it from ingressing inside but I can't see how it can escape. Surely the bottom edge of the panel will be permanently submerged.

Thanks
Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Feb 2019, 14:33

will1983 wrote:

Hi Coley, I'm new to this whole door making lark so please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

Looking at the section above i presume the exterior is the left side? If that is the case, what stops water from accumulating at the bottom of the groove in the rail?
I can see how it being chamfered and lower than the interior side prevents it from ingressing inside but I can't see how it can escape. Surely the bottom edge of the panel will be permanently submerged.

Thanks
Will

I think that's just extra lines on the drawing, I think the bottom of the channel that the unit site in is chamfered all the way along. I could be mistaken though.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Coley » 08 Feb 2019, 14:35

TrimTheKing wrote:
will1983 wrote:

Thanks
Will

I think that's just extra lines on the drawing, I think the bottom of the channel that the unit site in is chamfered all the way along. I could be mistaken though.
You're correct, just an extra line on the drawing. All the horizontal rails that could collect water are beveled

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Feb 2019, 15:44

Bl00dy amazing me! :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby will1983 » 13 Feb 2019, 15:34

Thanks guys, that makes much more sense now!
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Jul 2019, 15:47

Coley

Why have you made the tenons the way that you have ? Specifically the three parts arrowed ?
door details external.png
(864.42 KiB)

TIA
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 10 Jul 2019, 16:19

The red arrow is pointing to a normal haunched tenon similar to this arrangement- Image
The haunched part stops the tenon falling out should the wedges and glue fail.
The green and yellow arrows point to the middle rail on the door. Rather than have a tenon let's say the width of the rail so 150-200mm I've split it into 3. Now I've got less possible shrinkage over the width of the tenon (2 smaller tenons) and an extra pair of wedges so 4 in total for that joint. The haunch part on that rail is just to help keep things in line and provide an extra area for the glue instead of cutting it right out. It's just flipping the stop around on the morticer for depth the same as the top and bottom rail.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Jul 2019, 16:42

Thanks Coley. Not sure I follow your explanation re the red arrow as I can't see how the haunch would stop the tenon falling out.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 10 Jul 2019, 17:08

The stile gets cut off on the red line.Image
The pencil scribble is the timber that is left from only haunching partway into the stile. I thought you were dominoing everything together or have I got my wires crossed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Jul 2019, 17:41

I'm Domino'ing the internal doors and some sections of the orangerie but decided to go traditional for the back door as it's going to be pretty heavy. Although as I type this (and having spent best part of an hour fiddling about with SketchUp to work out the joint detail of the bottom rail) I'm having second thoughts. :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to General Woodworking