It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:24

Trimble Towers Workshop - Fitting out begins...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Trimble Towers Workshop - Organisation.

Postby Norty Raskel » 08 Apr 2019, 12:54

Hi Mark,

I've had a quick skim through this thread again but couldn't find the dimensions, can you remind me.

Although I really shouldn't even be entertaining the thought with the amount of work still to do on the house, I'm already mentally planning my new workshop, my current 6x3m is just too narrow.

Thanks

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Apr 2019, 13:24

Hi Jon

Dimensions are 8m * 5m with a 1m * 3m section out of the front wall. You can see the shape I'm talking about in the link below (scroll to the bottom of that page).

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1963&start=150

With standard 4" cavity walls that gives an internal area of a midges whisker under 30m2, which is just below the requirement for Building Regs. As it happens I have done it to BR anyway because I want to be able to apply for change of use down the line, for if we ever come to sell, but there's no reason to if not required.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2019, 15:59

9fingers wrote:Those tins are great for storage. I have lots from when my son was a baby. He is nearly 32 now!

Bob

:eusa-doh: I knew there had to be a reason for having kids :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 08 Apr 2019, 20:47

Thanks Mark,

I think 4.5 - 5m is ideal, I note Mike's shop is 4.5m wide is also and having an additional 2 metres width to my 3m shop is what I had visualised to make my space useable.

Mine would be right up against the boundary but made of brick and block so wouldn't need BR but I would have to apply for PP due to the proximity of the boundary.

Just the small matter of finishing the house first................

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Apr 2019, 14:44

I’ve made my first sawdust!!!

Does this count as woodwork...? If so then I’ve done my first woodworking in the workshop!

Need to get the timber stash up into the Mez but want to properly sticker it so it has airflow all round. Used some gash pine I was going to make my gate out of before thinking better and buying sapele.

Cut the lengths in two then into 3 lengths about 15mm square which should be more than sufficient do decently sticker it indoors.

Bandsaw fired up first time and purred beautifully. Hasn't moved in nearly 4 years so setting shouldn't have changed but once everything is properly settled then tuning all machines will be first job, well, after getting rid of that pesky rust...

I also chopped up the leftover lengths of Christmas tree trunk to be used in the outdoor fire pit during the summer.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2019, 21:12

:text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2019, 16:06

Another hour in there yesterday between kids football in the morning then cinema to see ‘Shazam’!

Managed to get the bulk of the timber up into the Mez and what’s left is the bits of sheet goods which I need to.m be ruthless with and decide which bits to keep and which to trash!

Once they’re done though I will move the lathe and can get cracking on the bench/cupboard arrangement.

Before...

After...

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Apr 2019, 22:38

:text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 15 Apr 2019, 11:03

Will you stick with those steps for access to the mezzanine? A conventional loft ladder would be bulky and eat into floor space but a rigid ladder which could be hooked onto that beam when required might be better.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2019, 11:06

Andyp wrote:Will you stick with those steps for access to the mezzanine? A conventional loft ladder would be bulky and eat into floor space but a rigid ladder which could be hooked onto that beam when required might be better.

The stepladders are just a means to a current end mate. I will have some kind of ladder like you suggest, that can hook on when required but store away somewhere when not in use. Probably hidden up in between the mez joists I imagine, just need to see if the width works...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 15 Apr 2019, 18:42

Good progress Mark are you making a new bench ?

Just out of interest do you know the diameter of the drum in your (Jet?) sander
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2019, 20:06

Doug wrote:Good progress Mark are you making a new bench ?

Just out of interest do you know the diameter of the drum in your (Jet?) sander

Hi mate

Yep will build myself a proper bench at some point. That was a cheapie to get me going but it's crap!

The spindle sander you mean? It's the standard one then I bought the large one when it was on offer on Ax at some point, 76mm one. I paid £54 but it is £82 now!!! Why do you ask?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 15 Apr 2019, 20:14

It’s the drum sander I’m interested in, I’m toying with the idea of building my own & wondered what diameter the drum was :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Apr 2019, 20:33

That's the biggest drum that Jet do for that machine. For its big brother there is a 100mm drum too but I don't know if the thread is the same size. I would assume so though as it would be odd to have two machines with different thread sizes and have to manufacture 2 sets of drums...

You're welcome to borrow the drum for a bit if you want to check it out?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 May 2019, 00:37

Doug wrote:It’s the drum sander I’m interested in, I’m toying with the idea of building my own & wondered what diameter the drum was :eusa-think:

Not sure what time I replied to that message about the drum Doug but apparently I persisted on the spindle subject!!!

Mine is the 16-32 meaning it’s 16” wide drum and open at one end so you can flip the workpiece and sand 32” wide in total. The drum is 5” (127mm) diameter.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 03 May 2019, 06:53

There's a Jet drum sander that pops up from time to time as it gets sold from person to person. Davey on WoodworkUK first sold it to me...excellent bit of kit...it's the largest one...the oscillating version. Then I sold it on to Promhandicam...who sold it on to ...lost track but keep your eyes open, Doug or stick a wanted ad on the forums.

The only downside to it is that the link between drum and motor is a weak link. Mark, do you have any problems with yours ? It can shear.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 May 2019, 07:34

Not had any issues with mine but obviously it hasn’t been hammered. It had a decent bit of use making Tilly’s bed but other than that it’s infrequent and fairly light use.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 03 May 2019, 08:11

TrimTheKing wrote:Not had any issues with mine but obviously it hasn’t been hammered. It had a decent bit of use making Tilly’s bed but other than that it’s infrequent and fairly light use.

Might be worth thinking about getting the wee bits and pieces from Axminster needed to repair the coupler in the future (assuming it's the same type). Sod's Law and all that.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 May 2019, 08:20

The 16-32 is a very simple bit of kit and quite few forum members have them and I've not seen any doubts over the coupling. It's a standard power transmission part and should no problem to replace so I'd not bother to stock and potentially lose spares.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Trimble Towers Workshop - Question for Mike G

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jun 2019, 15:29

I need to get the final constructional element of my workshop completed so I can start the internal fit out but I'm stuck with one element so hoping Mr G can assist.

I recall seeing something in Mike's house build about this but can't find it now. I need to 'fill' the cavity between the skins of my wall at the threshold of the doors but for the life of me I can't work out how you would do it without causing a damp bridge!

Before I took over the finishing from my builder he said to just fill it with stone then stick a 4" or so deep mix of concrete down there but I can't remember how he said to use DPM to stop bridging any damp from the bottom of the cavity or across the skins...

The other thought I had was, does it even need filling or could I just stick insulation down there and put a wooden threshold across, which I'm going to do anyway whether I have to fill it or not...?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Re: Trimble Towers Workshop - Question for Mike G

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jun 2019, 13:20

Mike?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 06 Jun 2019, 13:39

Hello.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Jun 2019, 13:45

Normally, the inner of the two skins is taken down to below the insulation and screed which bridges the gap, finishing against the outermost skin. The DPC is dressed down over the end of the wall, under the insulation & screed at the threshold, and back up the other side. The vertical element of it is exposed until covered by either door linings or by plasterboard.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jun 2019, 17:24

Hmmmm, thanks Mike but I’m not sure my brain is computing that correctly.

Just boarded a train back from London so I’ll take a pic in a couple of hours of what I’m looking at because I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jun 2019, 22:25

A short video hopefully explaining better than my typing did.

[youtube]qt_4R6tLzAI[/youtube]
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds