It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:32

Bog oak tenon saw project

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Bog oak tenon saw project

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2019, 11:43

For 30 years or more this awful freebie has kicked around in the back of drawers in my workshop, unusable on wood. I can't remember whether it came free in a Cornflakes packet, or with maybe a handsaw, but it was so awful that the last time I used it was as a scraper on some rock-hard plaster to try to form a key (it was useless even at that). Here it is in all its glory:

Isn't it gorgeous?

It had some sort of coating on it which had prevented it rusting, so cleaning it up wasn't very difficult (120 grit and a squirt of WD40):

Being hardpoint (heat treated) the teeth were too hard to file off, so I marked a line and ground them off on the bench grinder:

There wasn't an awful lot of merit in the handle, so I ummed and ahhed for a while before deciding to make a new one. I just happened to have a scrap or two of bog oak kicking around, so I thought I might try that. I traced over a handle from my tenon saw which I've always found really comfortable:

I've never owned a pistol grip saw, so I thought I'd give that a try. I sketched out the bits I didn't need, and in a few minutes on the pillar drill and the bandsaw produced a blank:

It's not too late to go back to the original handle, but the saw nuts will only screw into the plastic so many times........ Anyway, a few minutes with a rounding over bit on the router (mind that end grain!), then rasps, sandpaper, bits of dowel, chisels........you know, getting rid of all the stuff I didn't want, I ended up with a really comfortable handle:

Cleaned up with some white spirit:

It'll probably need some teeth, I guess. I've never cut teeth from scratch before, so after filing the edge dead straight, I printed off some lines at 12 per inch (my other saws are 15 and 21 TPI, so I've got the finer stuff covered):

Then taped a section of it over the edge of the plate:

I transferred those lines to the plate by sawing directly through the paper with a junior hacksaw. I sawed too deep, as you'll see later:

Interestingly, I picked the plate up at this stage and without a handle, used it to cut pretty cleanly through a piece of 2x1 pine!!

Now, I've heard one or two people talk about using a soft start to their tenon saws, going from a relaxed profile to a rip profile over the first couple of inches, so I thought I'd give that a try:

You can see the slope of the front of each tooth change from 60 degrees to vertical over the first 2 inches. You can also see that the over-deep hacksaw cuts have left their mark. This saw won't really be right on this sharpening, but I'll get it spot on next time.

My damn setting pliers snapped in half whilst setting the teeth. Cheap rubbish only lasted 40 years:

It works, even without any saw nuts:

I really like the gradation in colour in the handle, which just has a coat or 2 of Osmo on it, and some wax:

And just a reminder of what it looked like when it started:

I'll order the saw nuts on Monday, and they'll be the most expensive part of the saw.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Bog oak tenon saw project

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Apr 2019, 12:35

Nice...so you can it appears, make a 'silk purse from a sow's ear' :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Apr 2019, 14:04

Really splendid project, Mike. Great WIP, thanks
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Apr 2019, 15:09

Roger,

I have acquired at least two, I suspect that it is at least three, saw sets over the years and after a search of all the likely hiding places eventually found two no name sets huddled together, they would appear to work but are not as nice looking as yours. If you are prepared to slum it I will send you one, the handle or bits may even be interchangeable. They are painted in a dull camouflage green increasing the chances they will never be found again.

Nice restoration on the saw, I am half way through a Diston restoration but at current rate of progress it will be another year. I am on my third day of fitting a door! Constant interruptions and priority tasks make progress difficult, at least I have finished the floor.

Kevin
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 14 Apr 2019, 16:07

Thank you for your kind offer, Kevin, but I'll pass as I've got too many other projects on the go and/or half-finished. SWMBO would kill me if I embarked on a saw restoration project !!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2019, 16:12

I think he meant Mike, not Roger...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2019, 16:41

HappyHacker wrote:......I have acquired at least two, I suspect that it is at least three, saw sets over the years and after a search of all the likely hiding places eventually found two no name sets huddled together, they would appear to work but are not as nice looking as yours. If you are prepared to slum it I will send you one.........

That's fantastic, Kevin, thanks.

I'll drop you a PM. Cheers.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Apr 2019, 17:50

Confused.com is me. One day I may work out what is going on. I might even find where the others are hiding, I know I have more than 2.

I have got your PM and will go and sort out packing it, hopefully in post tomorrow.

No need for beer tokens, do someone else a favour in the future :)
HappyHacker
Sapling

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Apr 2019, 18:41

I did find this while searching. A niece bit of casting. Says German on the other side. No idea how to work it as not had any need to set a saw in recent years.
Attachments
IMG_20190414_182429333.jpg
(148.28 KiB)
HappyHacker
Sapling

Postby RogerS » 14 Apr 2019, 19:00

I go to Screwfix when my saw is blunt :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Apr 2019, 20:09

Nice job on the saw Mike.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Apr 2019, 22:34

Nice job.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 15 Apr 2019, 09:07

Yes nice job
Lee Valley used to have free downloads of various handle shapes.
This is one of them:

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Apr 2019, 19:55

The saw nuts arrived today. Yeah, it would been better if they were steel:

It works, albeit a little harsh (feels like one tooth is prominent somewhere):

Anyone who fancies making their own tool handles, or anything else, out of bog oak, sale day is soon!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery