It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:39

Track saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Track saw

Postby Moteyi » 19 Mar 2019, 21:36

I have on occasion ripped down a 4 x 2 with my festool, using another piece of 4 x 2 beside it to support the rail, but you MUST use a decent quality sharp rip blade and ideally have the saw hooked up to the extractor. I've also ripped the waney edge off large oak boards with my track saw before and this is a very good way of making large pieces more manageable.
Moteyi
Seedling

Name: Steve

Postby Doug » 19 Mar 2019, 22:18

This is mine ripping a piece of maple engineered flooring in half I went for the Metabo 8ah batteries which give a remarkable amount of power & run time

F8EBDE9A-2F40-46EA-9369-A2B585CA5402.jpeg
(157.64 KiB)

94A59607-F42A-49F2-AA31-3AA1D07E8273.jpeg
(160.59 KiB)
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 20 Mar 2019, 05:36

But you're on site there, Doug ! We're not comparing like for like ! I wouldn't take my table saw onsite !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 20 Mar 2019, 08:41

RogerS wrote:But you're on site there, Doug ! We're not comparing like for like ! I wouldn't take my table saw onsite !

Yebbut the only difference in the work shop is I substitute the trestles for two pieces of wood so I don’t cut the bench, plus I’d not got a photo of my workshop set up on my iPad I’ll check my phone.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 20 Mar 2019, 09:04

I recently purchased the Makita track saw from Axminster - came with enough track to do an 8ft sheet and a systainer as a package. I did look at the Festool but couldn't see where the extra £100 was in terms of benefit. Had it for a couple of months now and used it for cutting 18mm plywood sheets.

Pro's - nice and accurate, the track doesn't slip even without clamping - the rubber bits on the bottom really do stop skidding, but as they sell replacement strips I am wary about how long these will last. A doddle to set 2 pencil marks or line the track up with a pencil line - it is as accurate as your pencil line.

Con's - it is corded. While the cord is long, I am wary of catching the cord on the end of the track as I push forward on the cut since the end of the track is sharp. It hasn't restricted my cuts in terms of length, but I am conscious of it. In terms of the anti splinter strip - it kind of works, but it is not the cleanest cut in the world. I am using the stock blade however, which may not help.

Overall - it allows me to make cuts I wouldn't easily be able to make otherwise. Outside of sheet goods I don't see it has a huge amount of value because I have a table saw and bandsaw. I suspect a battery one would be easier to handle, but no more accurate and possibly heavier.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 20 Mar 2019, 11:03

StevieB wrote:..... they sell replacement strips I am wary about how long these will last. .....

They are for when you're tired and not concentrating and the track saw jumps the track, gouging out bits from both the strips and the track. DAMHIKT :oops:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby will1983 » 20 Mar 2019, 11:31

StevieB wrote:
Con's - In terms of the anti splinter strip - it kind of works, but it is not the cleanest cut in the world. I am using the stock blade however, which may not help.

I have the same saw StevieB, try fitting a Freud blade. I found the stock blade very good but only for a limited time, mine started to lose it's edge very quickly. The Freud blade however is lovely to use. I got a pair in a set (1 rip and 1 crosscut) off Amazon for about £35.

I also have the usual collection of table, mitre and band saws in the workshop but I can only use the track saw on site. It isn't the very best at everything but in conjunction with a pair of trestles and a multi tool I've not found anything I can't do yet.

I did make myself a small portable work surface, it's just 12mm ply with two lengths of 2x1 glued to each of the long edges for about 3/4 of the length. The short ends of the 2x1 are square to the long sides so when the track is butted up against them it works like a large mitre box for cutting square ends on pieces. Only took 15mins to make and is really useful. I can also use it upside down when I need to do a long cut on a piece larger then the space between the 2x1 rails.

Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Mar 2019, 13:54

RogerS wrote:
StevieB wrote:..... they sell replacement strips I am wary about how long these will last. .....

They are for when you're tired and not concentrating and the track saw jumps the track, gouging out bits from both the strips and the track. DAMHIKT :oops:

You did that as well!! :oops:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby HappyHacker » 20 Mar 2019, 14:38

RogerS wrote:

Or use the track with a router and forget to align the cutter with the edge of the rubber or even the track before plunging :oops:

In my experience the rubber strip last a fair amount of time if it is not abused.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby MY63 » 21 Mar 2019, 21:50

I have to admit to a possible error in buying the Scheppach saw when I watched Peter Millards video I was not paying attention and when he said it would work on Festool style track. I don’t think he actually said that but never mind.
The track is my issue I was planning on buying another 1400mm of track I assumed it would be reasonably priced but it is £79.99 for 2 x 700mm which is 1p less than the saw
Anyway I am going to return it tomorrow as I have not opened it yet P M s reccomendation was the Titan from Screwfix which has been reduced to £109.99 for 5 days so that is my current plan.
I still think the track saw suits my needs just need to get the right one without selling body parts.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby StevieB » 22 Mar 2019, 09:01

If you can afford the initial purchase price and don't need it long term after your build, it would almost certainly sell on a woodworking forum or e-bay.......
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Mar 2019, 11:08

Michael,

I see the Titan comes with 2 x 700mm track but no listing of extra track pieces being available. Titan is a screwfix own brand so unless it is compatible with other makes of track you will be limited to cutting widths of 8 x4 sheets.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 22 Mar 2019, 12:57

StevieB I don't have a budget for tools at the moment but I don't want to cut 22mm OSB by hand and my little Ryobi battery circular saw just is not going to cut it (sorry about the pun).
I spent all of the money I had set aside for this job and quite a bit more on timber.

Bob you are correct the reason for returning the Scheppach was because the saw cost £80 and the track was £79.99 for an additional 2x 700mm. Although the saw would work on other tracks the track was not totally compatible with other track and accessories.

According to Peter Millard the Titan saw works with the Festool and Makita style track he also said that the blade was good out of the box. When I bought the Scheppach it was reduced to £80 and the Titan was £129 or £139 yesterday they reduced it to £109 until the 25th so I bought it this morning if I am not happy I will return it.

Obviously I would like to have the best tools available but I have to be aware that this is not something I am going to use every day or even on a weekly basis.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 13 Apr 2019, 21:04

I thought it would be fair to update this after using the Titan plunge saw for the first time.
I have never used a plunge saw and have very little experience of circular saws either having had a cordless saw for about 8 months.
Out of the box the track would not line up as one of the tracks was out of shape. I called the help line they reserved one at my local store as an exchange in fact by the time I arrived less than 10 minutes the lady on the helpline had done the refund resale and the replacement was ready to collect.
Set up was simple I followed the instructions and was ready to cut very quickly.
I was cutting large sheets of 22mm OSB3 set the depth gauge accordingly and started cutting I used an extra straight edge to help me when moving the track as it is only 1400mm but stopped after the first cut it was easy to line up the track and it did not move once in place.
I was concerned about quality but it has a two year warranty and it cuts really well out of the box I am now looking for other jobs I can use it for.
As it uses Makita style track even down to the extra ridge for 45 degree cuts I may buy a 1.4 m piece of their track.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 13 Apr 2019, 21:21

I tend to buy mid to upmarket power tools especially when I'm going to rely on them and want accuracy.

However I have a few Titan tools.. Miniature inline plunge saw, sabre saw where I'm not going to use them everyday. I also bought a brute of an SDS drill/demolition chiseland done far more work than I anticiapted with out protest although recently it has started spitting out grease in use so I suspect a seal has failed but for £50 10 or more years ago it does not owe me anything but has left its footprint on a number of my working T shirts. :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 18 Apr 2019, 08:42

I may have spoken to soon I was using the saw to cut some plywood to make some French cleats.
After two cuts the saw became difficult to move along the track when moving the track to make the second part of the cut the saw would not engage with the track.
Eventually I discovered that a small grub screw underneath was loose.

Image2019-04-18_08-24-46 by my0771, on Flickr

I was not sure exactly what it does but it makes the saw difficult to use so I tightened it.
Two cuts later I was in the same situation this went on all afternoon and in the end I gave up.
I will speak to Screwfix customer services when they open.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Apr 2019, 09:22

I know my saw is not a Titan, but using mine last night and while checking the 90 degree angle, I noticed a couple of grub screws on mine on the inside of the bottom plate, but they both seemed to have a dollop of thread lock stuff. They looked like they were factory set for the 90 degree stop.

Could your be something similar, that has lost its thread locking goo?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 18 Apr 2019, 13:22

I could not see what the grub screw was going into but my feeling was there was nothing on the other side none of the others were loose.
Anyway that is no longer my problem Screwfix were great they offered a direct replacement but I was not to keen to have a third one so they offered an alternative. Thinking about what others had said I decided to spend the extra and get the Makita.
Unfortunately Screwfix do not keep the SP6000 only the dual battery version so they refunded my money and I went around the corner to Axminster and bought it there with two 1.4 m rails

Image2019-04-18_01-21-13 by my0771, on Flickr

Hopefully my issues will be resolved :D
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Apr 2019, 14:30

Nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 18 Apr 2019, 18:24

I hope the new saw passed the very careful inspection!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby MY63 » 19 Apr 2019, 07:57

Yes Dave that is Diesel our springer spaniel he likes to check everything, He was just looking for food really :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 19 Apr 2019, 12:02

I thought I was buying a saw with 2 x 1.4 m tracks when I opened the packaging this morning I have 2 x 1.5m tracks I checked my receipt and it does say 1.5m tracks.
But I only have one joining strip?
Would it be sacrilege to cut one into pieces which would be handy for bench use 2.4m sheets will be the largest item I am ever likely to cut.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby StevieB » 19 Apr 2019, 16:22

Why would you want to cut the track?! Don't forget you need space before and after the board for the saw to run off/into (you can plunge, but it is a pain at full stretch...)
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Apr 2019, 18:07

StevieB wrote:Why would you want to cut the track?! Don't forget you need space before and after the board for the saw to run off/into (you can plunge, but it is a pain at full stretch...)

:text-+1:

Definitely don't cut them. I have 2 x 1.4m Festool tracks and on a 24 sheet as StevieB says, you have to be really careful at the start and end of the cut because you need that overhang.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 19 Apr 2019, 20:40

I had one of my Festool 1.4m tracks cut down when I bought a 2.7m track it’s handy having a shorter track for some jobs but I had it machine cut so that it was square so if I needed to join it to another track it would line up perfectly.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Machines & Power Toolery