It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:01

Track saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Track saw

Postby MY63 » 19 Apr 2019, 21:09

Thanks Doug I would have it cut by a local engineering shop. I would still have 3m of track just in a more user friendly format.
My workshop is quite small if I put a 1.5m track on the bench to make a cross cut it would over hang the bench by 750mm leaving me 250mm to get past. Where a 1m track would still allow me to make crosscuts and have space to move around. If I needed I could still join them all together.

Anyway I used the saw today to finish off my mammoth fencing project it works perfectly. It sailed over the joint when I trimmed the chip strip. It was so easy to push compared to the Titan with very little vibration and such a smooth cut.

I know it was three times the price but it is way better and I intend to get my money’s worth I will be looking for stuff to cut :)
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Doug » 20 Apr 2019, 07:51

If you find as I have that you use the tracksaw far more than you thought you would your next problem is blades, being quiet small they blunt fairly quickly, a cheaper supplier of blades are these chaps https://www.keybladesandfixings.com/col ... des?page=2
Apart from using their blades in my TS55 I’ve also fitted one in my site chopsaw & so far theyve worked admirable
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 20 Apr 2019, 08:45

Doug wrote:If you find as I have that you use the tracksaw far more than you thought you would...

I've got a TS55 but it's rarely used as I don't do a huge amount with board material - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 02 May 2019, 09:12

My Makita track saw works fine with one exception when I was cutting the 45 degree angle for my French cleats over a full length of 2440mm x 18mm plywood both edges are burning lots of smoke I set the saw to 32 mm so it just broke through the bottom of the plywood..
I have tried speed 6 pushing the saw quickly and slowly and I have also tried speed setting 4 again quickly and slowly. It cuts 90 degrees without issue.
I spoke to the guys at Axminster and their technical department who first suggested a blade with more teeth then I asked them to check as my rip hand saw has big ugly teeth where as my crosscut saw has smaller teeth.
The assistant phoned someone else who confirmed a blade with less teeth would correct the issue.

They were kind enough to provide a 24 tooth blade FOC (I returned the gesture with cake) I dont have a lot of ply left and dont really need anymore french cleats cutting.
What I would like to know is has anyone experience this before ? is it user error ?
Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 May 2019, 11:08

I would think that partly happens because the blade is buried in the material. I’ve seen the same with a table saw and having more blade poking out (or less blade in the material) resolves it.

It’s counter to safety advice and requires more guarding but the science seems to make sense.

Blade spending less time in the material, less heat build up, less burning...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 02 May 2019, 11:43

TrimTheKing wrote:I would think that partly happens because the blade is buried in the material. I’ve seen the same with a table saw and having more blade poking out (or less blade in the material) resolves it.

It’s counter to safety advice and requires more guarding but the science seems to make sense.

Blade spending less time in the material, less heat build up, less burning...

Thanks Mark that makes total sense to me I am going to give it a go
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 02 May 2019, 11:46

Also ripping vs cross cutting in plywood is a moot point as there is not a common grain direction. Larger gullets allow the waste to be cleared better and protrusion of the teeth and gullets through to job ought to help clearance. Any further depth just increases the blade area in contact with the cut and possibly more friction.
Maybe you are pushing too hard and not letting the machine do the work?
Is the ply sheet or the piece being cut off flexing? Maybe better support could help?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 May 2019, 13:07

Not sure I agree with that Bob.

The teeth are wider than the blade so in theory there will be less metal touching wood by having more depth on the blade, because only the depth of the entry and exit cuts will have metal in them at any given time with the remaining teeth either below or above the workpiece...

If the body of the blade is touching the timber then there’s something very wrong.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 02 May 2019, 15:35

I decided to approach Makita just to be sure it was not the saw I spoke to an engineer who listened carefully to what I had experienced and he felt that it was more than likely the base plate of the saw was not correctly aligned and as this is not a user serviceable item he suggested I return the saw either directly to Makita or to Axminster. My local Axminster offered to send it off for me which would take 5 to 10 days but with the bank holiday. I rang their head office who offered to pick mine up tomorrow and send a replacement on Wednesday. I asked to speak to a manager who rang the Local store and suggested they replace it for me, Not sure why they could not have done that as the saw is only 14 days old.
Off to swap it over now.
Thanks for the help I hope the next one is ok :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 02 May 2019, 17:05

TrimTheKing wrote:Not sure I agree with that Bob.

The teeth are wider than the blade so in theory there will be less metal touching wood by having more depth on the blade, because only the depth of the entry and exit cuts will have metal in them at any given time with the remaining teeth either below or above the workpiece...

If the body of the blade is touching the timber then there’s something very wrong.

If only the tips are touching then there is very little chance of burning unless they are blunt and this is a relatively new blade so I agree that something else is wrong either in alignment or technique.
This is possibly bourne out by the following post regarding makita's willingness to exchange on the grounds of mis-alignment.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 02 May 2019, 17:16

Thanks Bob and Mark
Makita offered a repair it was Axminster who replaced the saw I called in and spoke to the manager who apologised for the trouble. They are selling off some 1.4m tracks as Makita now supply 1.5m tracks. I asked if they were able to order me a 1.0m track for crosscutting as he could not order a 1m he offered me a deal on a 1.4m track which I gladly accepted. Fingers crossed my saw issues are resolved.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 07 May 2019, 20:09

Remember when I mentioned cutting a 1.5m length of track for cross cutting well I had to use my workshop to cut some shelves the other day this picture may help to explain my problem.

Image2019-05-07_12-31-03 by my0771, on Flickr

Now I have 3 tracks 2 x 1.5m and 1 x 1.4m so one of them is for the chop literally :D :D :D
But which one and by how much my bench top is 718 mm wide I will be adding edging either 20mm 0r 30mm front and rear.

Suggestions..
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 08 May 2019, 19:51

Just to keep everyone up to date I dropped the rail off with my brothers friend who is an engineer. He is going to cut it to 1 x 1m and 1 x 496mm it is being cut on a milling machine so 4mm will be lost I have used one of the 1.5m rails and kept a 1.5m and 1.4m intact I can join them back together if I ever require more than 2.9m I can still cut a 2.44m board and have more than 200mm at each end. I will post a picture when it is done
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Track saw Track cut

Postby MY63 » 13 May 2019, 08:17

My engineering friend cut the track for me on his milling machine so I know the cut is perfectly square.
I now have 1 x 1.5m 1 x 1.4m 1 x 1.0m 1 x 500mm well it is actually 496mm but near enough.

Image2019-05-13_08-00-01 by my0771, on Flickr

Many people may think that cutting the track is crazy however it makes the saw very easy for me to use with my disability and has opened up cutting sheet materials that was not possible before.

Millie the springer spaniel is supervising photography this morning.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 13 May 2019, 09:37

Nice one, Michael.

We all have to adapt what's on the market for our own particular needs.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery