It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:13

Barrel lock problem

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Barrel lock problem

Postby Phil » 05 May 2019, 20:32

Barrel lock problem

This is part of my long-term doors project viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2277

The front door barrel lock. I have fitted a number of them without any hassles.

But, this one has got me stumped. I fitted it in March when I looked after their house.

All went very well, chiselled out the recess, drilled all the holes spot on (pays to make an accurate template).
Fitted the barrel and inside handle first.
Then the outside handle.
BUT!
The barrel just would not go into the hole in the handle. It was out by 1mm.
I loosened, tightened, fiddled just no way I could get it in.
The lock worked so I left it, packed up and vacated work site before they arrived home.

Went back on Thursday, took the door off, dismantled the lock and handles. Check the alignment, did a bit of filing, reassembled, same problem.

When I try to force the handle on, everything moves in sync and I just cannot get the barrel into the hole on the outside handle!
Any thoughts on what it might be?
Handles out of alignment? Lock-barrel hole out of alignment?
Some fotos.

The lock

Side_View.jpg
(24.08 KiB)

Inside handle

Inside.jpg
(15.25 KiB)

Outside handle. You can see the 1mm gap where it just will not go in.

Outside.jpg
(20.41 KiB)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Barrel lock problem

Postby 9fingers » 05 May 2019, 21:49

That is what we know as a Euro cylinder here, would have a long m5 screw going into the body from the edge of the door. Try slackening that screw and it should allow the handle to be fitted and all the woodscrews screws driven home and only then tighten the m5 screw.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil » 06 May 2019, 17:42

Bob, thanks.

That was one of the 'fiddles' that I tried.

Everything just moves in sync, the gap stays there.
Hence my thought that something is out of alignment. :(
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 06 May 2019, 19:08

Phil wrote:Bob, thanks.

That was one of the 'fiddles' that I tried.

Everything just moves in sync, the gap stays there.
Hence my thought that something is out of alignment. :(

I suppose it is possible that the backset of the handle shaft is different to the lock cylinder backset due to a manufacturing error but generally there is a bit of slack in both so the lock mechanism can be installed, then the handles fitted with some shims round the cylinder to centralise the gap.

Now that screw holes have been made in the door, and might be in the wrong position, you might have to block the holes with a dowel and re-drill?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jonathan » 06 May 2019, 22:21

Phil over here in Spain that's the only lock we have and yes they can be a right royal pain sometimes.....1st I would cheque that the euro hole in the lock is not been made on the sku......if it looks good assemble everything without tightening up any screws and see if you can get it all in the right place before tightening anything.....if it still won't go together and the lock is good it could be the handle has been stamped out wrong.....I had a two last year that where out of wack.....one I managed to file and get to fit....the other I had to replace
Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 06 May 2019, 23:47

I think I would loosen the inside handle, undo the M5 screw, then loosen the outside screws. I’d then place a key in the barrel and wiggle the barrel and outside plate until they mate. Finally fasten all the screws and check for proper operation.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sammy.se » 07 May 2019, 09:20

Try assembling without the handle shaft (square rod), and without any screws. Whenever I've had issues, it's the handle shaft. Which can be fixed with some filing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 May 2019, 08:13

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.

I am currently sanding doors for them and when I take the doors back for spraying, will spend some time again fiddling with this lock.
If the same result, I will consider replacing the handles first.
I have done some filing of the handle shaft on both ends for more flexibility. The first one was a stuff-up, fortunately there were spare shafts from old locks that were taken off the other doors where I replaced locks.

Bob - the screw holes I plug with 2mm dowels and some gorilla glue. If the hole is too big it gets 1.5 dowels (the second one is trimmed with a Stanley blade)
2mm dowels = toothpick :)

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Jonathan » 08 May 2019, 19:09

Tooth picks do make a nice 1.5mm dowel as do the good old Jean Chancel self igniting match stick......

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby LawrenceS » 10 May 2019, 12:09

Has the door been given a "leading edge" bevel of about 2 to 3 degrees?
This is quite normal nowadays and if you have taken your measurements from the arris of each face then your handles will be out of alignment by the width of the bevel on the edge.
Just a thought, as I had made a similar mistake with a pair of security night locks. The bevel at the top was different to the bottom and I only measured at the bottom.
LawrenceS
Seedling

Name:

Postby Coley » 10 May 2019, 22:45

Make everything loose and feel where the handle wants to sit,don't force it. Theres usually enough play with all the components to get them to work together. I'll quite often fit a lock and drill the holes for the keyhole only to find it needs a bit of easing to get everything to work. The drill bits that have teeth on the sides really help give that extra bit of wriggle/slop for everything to work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 May 2019, 08:10

LawrenceS wrote:Has the door been given a "leading edge" bevel of about 2 to 3 degrees?

I eliminated that bevel by making the template for one side and then drilling through. So the alignment and spacing is spot on. (I was caught on that one when I did the first lock many years ago!)

The lock is also centered, 0.5mm difference on the one edge.

I have nearly finished sanding these big cupboard doors, then they can go back for spraying and I will fiddle with the lock.

Phil
Old Oak

Return to General Woodworking