It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

Recommendations for a digital camera

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Recommendations for a digital camera

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2019, 17:53

Hi chaps...my 15 year old Panasonic DMC-FZ20 is getting a bit long in the tooth and so thought I'd treat myself to a small lowish priced replacement. Say up to £3-400. Any suggestions..I just basically want something that will shoot a decent photo. Not that keen on gizmos. A good lens. The Sony HX60V looks a possible.

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Recommendations for a digital camera

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 May 2019, 18:30

SLR style or point and shoot?

I bought the Olympus XZ-1 which is a compact but has a lot of DSLR style features. I like that a lot when space is a consideration. It’s a good few years old now but 10mp I think and there may be a newer model.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby old » 07 May 2019, 18:50

lots of phones take really good pictures but what do you want to do with them if its google photos (or apple) thats job done.If you like larger images or experiment with depth of field/zoom then a camera is best but consider physical size and image size on the rear screen some times larger is easier to use/see, there are lots of other considerations it depends on what you hope to achieve.
old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2019, 19:35

old wrote:lots of phones take really good pictures but what do you want to do with them if its google photos (or apple) thats job done.If you like larger images or experiment with depth of field/zoom then a camera is best but consider physical size and image size on the rear screen some times larger is easier to use/see, there are lots of other considerations it depends on what you hope to achieve.

I really struggle to take a good photo with a phone.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 07 May 2019, 22:22

Panasonic LUMIX TZ90

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 May 2019, 22:46

Rod wrote:Panasonic LUMIX TZ90

Rod

:text-+1:
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Robert » 07 May 2019, 23:41

It comes down to personal preference in the end.

Not looked in detail but I think that Sony has no viewfinder so all photos must be composed looking at the rear screen - something I only do occasionally but maybe fine for you ...assuming you can see it in bright sunlight. Sony do tend to have good low light handling.

I have a Panasonic camera as my second camera for when I have to travel light(er). It's not a point and shoot compact camera and it is over your budget but like other Panasonics I've used it is good at everything except low light. High ISO is noisy (textured). If you'll never be taking pictures in low light without using the flash then the Panasonic could be a good choice - and it has a viewfinder for when the sun is too bright for using the screen.

With so few camera shops around now it is hard to go and hold different models to see what you like or don't.
Try and work out what features you want then read reviews, get confused, get annoyed and just buy one that seems like it might suit :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 May 2019, 23:47

You're welcome to borrow the Olympus if you want? I don't use it often.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodster » 07 May 2019, 23:56

Sadly many compact cameras don’t appear to be designed to be used in bright sunlight as they don’t have a viewfinder and you can’t see much on the rear screen due to sunlight washing out the image. I’d stick with Panasonic, most if not all of their compact cameras have viewfinders.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 08 May 2019, 00:46

I don't know where you live now but I think it's in the south of England. If so, I suggest you take a trip to Park Cameras and discuss your requirements with them. They have a very good reputation.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Phil » 08 May 2019, 08:23

Canon Powershot A550

Bought about 10 years ago.

Has a view finder.

This one only has 7.1 MegaPixels

Replaced their card with a SanDisc 4BG

Has a lot of very fancy settings that I generally forget to turn on or how to use.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 May 2019, 08:29

Gill wrote:I don't know where you live now but I think it's in the south of England. If so, I suggest you take a trip to Park Cameras and discuss your requirements with them. They have a very good reputation.

Very much the opposite now Gill. He’s in the ‘real’ North as he so often likes to tell me. ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Phil » 08 May 2019, 08:36

He is so far North his property back wall is the border with Scotland. :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Gill » 08 May 2019, 15:01

Ah... right. :oops:

I don't think there is much call for good photography shops in the north. Most photographers up there seem to be southerners who bought their kit in the south before travelling north.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2019, 15:19

MY63 wrote:
Rod wrote:Panasonic LUMIX TZ90

Rod

:text-+1:

Yep, I've got a TZ70 and SWIMBO's got a posher TZ100, both with Leica lenses. These are specifically 'travel' cameras; they take a great pic, have a decent telephoto but are quite small and can be easily carried either round your neck or or in a camera bag on your trouser belt. For travel stuff IMO they're difficult to better - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 10 May 2019, 18:14

"He’s in the ‘real’ North"

Trim mate, you want to try travelling north of Fort William, maybe two days north, before you use that sobriquet...try Achmelvich or Drumbeg for 'OMG, North'... :D

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 May 2019, 18:18

I lived in Aberfeldy for a while as a kid, that’s quite Northy.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 13 May 2019, 08:24

Know it well; spent many Easters tramping around in the snow near there and other Scottish highlights/highlands. Agreed, quite Northy...bet the nightlife and weekends there were...quiet?

Roger? Canon 750D. 24 Megapixies, clear, high resolution video, remote control possible, good 'macro', crackin' camera!!

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 May 2019, 12:18

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Know it well; spent many Easters tramping around in the snow near there and other Scottish highlights/highlands. Agreed, quite Northy...bet the nightlife and weekends there were...quiet?

I was little when we lived there but later on, mostly it was summer holidays and Christmas/NY. We would be snowed in every Hogmanay and the family hotel bar would run 24/7 for a week with locals coming in/leaving at all hours and just serving themselves :lol:

Yep was very quiet indeed, beautiful part of the world.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodster » 13 May 2019, 18:47

After looking at several cameras I bought a Panasonic TZ80 for my wife.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pana ... 27/verdict
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 14 May 2019, 09:31

"the family hotel bar would run 24/7 for a week with locals coming in/leaving at all hours and just serving themselves "

A wee bar in Park, centre of the Sperrins, got in there very late one rainy night, hoping to get a quick pint before kip, asked :

"When do you shut?" - as if was fast approaching 11pm.

Reply: "Aaccccckkk..about September". :D

Sam
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat