It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:41

Scroll saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Scroll saw

Postby MY63 » 13 Aug 2019, 10:33

I visited the local Axminster saw the other day to buy a palm router (Makita) which is great. I watched a brief demo of a scroll saw and I have to admit I was tempted to buy the £80 version. The assistant put me off by trying to convince me I needed the £400.
Last time I thought about buying one of these I bought a used bandsaw which is great and I use it lots already but I think these corners are a little tight even for the thinner blade.

ImageIMG_0485_1 by my0771, on Flickr

When the outer leather cover is moulded over the card it looks like this

ImageIMG_0502_1 by my0771, on Flickr

So my question is are these like the bandsaw and suitable for buying second hand and if so can anyone advise on which are the best to buy used.
Oh and of course if anyone knows of one laying in the corner of a workshop somewhere that I can buy that would be great.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Scroll saw

Postby StevieB » 13 Aug 2019, 13:57

Well you will not be able to do piercing cuts on a bandsaw, so no - a bandsaw couldn't cut the rose you show. If you want edges as rough as that ie you are putting it under leather so a smooth edge is not critical, then I would say any scroll saw would be fine. Really cheap ones come with pinned blades and are a faff, as well as limiting the size of piercing cut you can do. Most fine blades are pinless so go for this as a minimum would be my suggestion. As you want to trial one, ebay will be fine. There are the usual Chiwanese clones to the same shape/spec but in different colours and with different badges at the bottom of the range. The Rolls-Royce is the Hegner, but Eclipse saws get a good write-up and the Axminster's are a copy of these. One left field option is a 'diamond' brand scroll saw - bit of a marmite machine, some people love them, some don't. I am in the latter camp and sold mine but each to their own. Quality blades make all the difference, ans as with most things - you get better with practice, you get expert with LOTS of practice!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Aug 2019, 16:11

If anyone's interested, over on UKWorkshop someone is selling a top of the range Hegner scroll saw (virtually new) for half-price...a mere £600 - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Aug 2019, 16:44

I have the basic single speed Hegner which still comes out for the odd job or two. I always underestimate how quickly the blades need replacing. They go dull very quickly. Even good blades are quite cheap but they do need replacing often. IME.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Aug 2019, 18:11

Andyp wrote:I have the basic single speed Hegner which still comes out for the odd job or two. I always underestimate how quickly the blades need replacing. They go dull very quickly. Even good blades are quite cheap but they do need replacing often. IME.

I must say I was tempted for all of 5 seconds Andy but I'd never use it much and it's a fairly big bit of kit...'tis a bargain though if you're on the look out for one - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 14 Aug 2019, 21:43

Thanks StevieB I appreciate the information I cant find any Eclipse saws for sale currently The Axminster at £149 takes pinless blades.
@woodbloke £600 is way outside my budget but hopefully someone else will snap it up.
There are a number of Hegner's on ebay for around £240 but they look like they have had a hard life.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 01 Dec 2019, 19:15

I have finally found a scroll saw on Gum tree and my offer has been accepted by the seller. I am meeting him tomorrow at a halfway point.
When I bought my bandsaw this time last year a few members were very kind and gave me a number of points to check I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers to check.
The saw is a Hegner Multicut 1, The blower pipe and key tool are both missing but the price has been reduced accordingly.
From the pictures I have seen the machine is clean and all of the paint is present unlike some I have seen.
The seller assures me it is in good working order my car has a power inverter to 240 volts should I use that to start the saw before parting with my cash.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 01 Dec 2019, 21:01

I am by no means familiar with these machines but from memory the air pump is fairly expensive so even of the pipe is missing, it might be worth checking that the air pump will develop a fair pressure otherwise it might need replacing.
240v Inverter fitted to your car? Impressive.
Is it standard equipment or something you have fitted?
I have a Honda suitcase generator that I take with me for this sort of excercise.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 01 Dec 2019, 22:48

Sorry Bob nothing flash just an aftermarket one but it works pretty well for charging stuff.
I had assumed that the bellows produced the air would the air pump be the cylinder on the front?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 01 Dec 2019, 23:03

Yes the bellows are the air pump. presumable with some sort of valve to stop it sucking back.

Parts diagrams and prices here https://www.hegner.co.uk/spare-part-fin ... start=true

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 02 Dec 2019, 09:32

If you mean the cylinder on the front as seen here it is for a dust extractor hose

The tube can also be inserted at the base of the bellows to blow dust away.

Years ago mine did not come with the blue flexi hose. They are worth having as you can direct the dust in any direction.
For thin stuff there is not a lot of dust produced so I prefer to use it in blow mode.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerM » 02 Dec 2019, 12:10

Just picked up a great s/h Hegner Multicut 1.HMm-1V (variable speed) in very good condition on Gumtree for £200. New price is £586 so I think I've got a bargain. They seem to come up regularly in the north but less frequently in the south. My bro-in-law investigated this one for me and checked it out so looking forward to receiving it when they come down for Xmas.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby MY63 » 02 Dec 2019, 16:19

Thanks Andy yes it was indeed the dust port.
Mine does not have one but I understand a little more now so I now have a Hegner Multicut 1 scroll saw it originally came from a school.

Image2019-12-02_03-04-08 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see it is very clean and works well I need to get some good blades. I know it is not a top of the range machine but it is the best for my budget and as I only paid £160 I think it is a bit of a bargain.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerM » 02 Dec 2019, 17:55

MY63 wrote:Thanks Andy yes it was indeed the dust port.
Mine does not have one but I understand a little more now so I now have a Hegner Multicut 1 scroll saw it originally came from a school.

Image2019-12-02_03-04-08 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see it is very clean and works well I need to get some good blades. I know it is not a top of the range machine but it is the best for my budget and as I only paid £160 I think it is a bit of a bargain.

That's a cracking good buy at that price Michael. Looks very tidy too. My best guess is that you could make a quick £100 profit if you Ebayed it - not that you'll want to of course. That looks like "a keeper". :mrgreen:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby MY63 » 02 Dec 2019, 18:11

Thanks RogerM The seller accepted my offer although I am sure he could have got more money had he waited a little longer. I am really pleased with it I tried a couple of cuts and all is well.
I have been looking for one of these for a few months so I wont be selling it any time soon.
MY63
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery