It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:25

New member saying hello

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

New member saying hello

Postby Fingal » 24 Aug 2019, 12:09

Thought I'd pen an introduction...

I have been hovering for sometime but felt my way of woodworking might be dismissed as not a proper-job; as they say down in the West Country. Studying the forum, I don't think that problem will surface as you all seem a decent friendly group.

So, I am in South Staffs and at my late stage in life I just decided to do some woodwork because it began to interest me more and more. I doubt I'll become an expert with tools, so I didn't gather many. Just a plane (A Record 5-1/2 off eBay) and a few chisels from the same place, a saw and a hammer I already had. My most sophisticated tool is my mitre saw, which I splashed out for, to cut stuff I know needs to be exact in length and square. I make framed work a lot and I bought a Kreg jig. So I hope I won't fall foul of traditionalists and/or pedants :mrgreen: I probably will have questions, but I am not here merely to 'pick brains'. Mostly to enjoy the posts that really interest me and maybe add a few myself.

I am happy in my air-conditioned shed (The cladding is full of holes at one end! ) On a good day it does for me. My tools are in a box in the conservatory and I put castors on it to save my back! I suppose I'll add tools as I find the need, but for now I get by with the basic things I already had, so I am doing okay.

I also joined another forum three days ago, but no contact from them since; so I guess not much going on there then.

Activation here was swift and painless so

HI EVERYONE! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Fingal (Alfred)
Don't hide your light under a bushel; you never know whom you might be inspiring.
Fingal
Seedling

Name: Alfred

Re: New member saying hello

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2019, 13:51

Welcome Alfred.
The next couple of posts will be moderated with hopefully minimal delay and then your posts should appear nearly instantly and you will be able to add photos and quote URLs in your posts etc

We like photos to see what you are up to.

Most of the forums are a bit quiet due to holiday season and other activities competing for members time but traffic will soon recover.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Fingal » 24 Aug 2019, 14:04

Thanks Bob.
Nice to be here.

Alfred. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Don't hide your light under a bushel; you never know whom you might be inspiring.
Fingal
Seedling

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Aug 2019, 15:03

Yo, Alf!

Welcome from deepest Mid-Devon.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 24 Aug 2019, 16:15

Welcome to the forum, remember we do like pictures.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 24 Aug 2019, 16:29

Hi, Alfred.
Yes we pride ourselves on being friendly and of mixed abilities. We all have something to learn from everyone so dont be shy.
We like photos too
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Aug 2019, 20:40

Hi Alfred and welcome aboard.

Yep the whole ethos of this forum is to try and keep things nice and friendly. Hopefully you’ll enjoy yourself here and with the woodwork.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Fingal » 24 Aug 2019, 21:37

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I am glad you all like pictures. So do I on account of I don't read too well! :lol:

I'll see what I can do, though I am no great shakes as a photographer! ,Mainly though I have to make something worth clicking!

(Al) Fred :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Fingal
Seedling

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 25 Aug 2019, 14:48

Welcome from a Celtic refugee, claiming asylum in Northumberland, but temporarily suffering hearstroke in Zummerzett.

Anyone with a good Celtic 'handle' (remember C.B.'s?) gets my approval! :D

Sam(uel).
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby 9fingers » 25 Aug 2019, 15:25

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Welcome from a Celtic refugee, claiming asylum in Northumberland, but temporarily suffering hearstroke in Zummerzett.

Sam(uel).

Wandering off topic Sam, if you are in Zummerzett then maybe a trip to Yandles would be a good idea.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby dingle3 » 25 Aug 2019, 19:33

just saying hi for the 1st time.I have a problem so thought this would be the best to ask some of the members who make be able to help.but won't ask here are this is just a "hello " page
dingle3
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 25 Aug 2019, 20:15

dingle3 wrote:just saying hi for the 1st time.I have a problem so thought this would be the best to ask some of the members who make be able to help.but won't ask here are this is just a "hello " page

Welcome Dingle.
Make sure you set your profile so you get email alerts when someone replies to you so you can go and look.

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 30 Aug 2019, 14:09

Thanks Bob, good idea. We have moved on, presently not a kick in the gluteals from chez Charlesworth...will try to wrangle my two shopaholics sated enough in Cornwall to owe me a visit as we drive back toward Brizzel. And then once again chance the carparks that were the A1M and M6 on the way down...

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Sep 2019, 17:40

9fingers wrote:
SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Welcome from a Celtic refugee, claiming asylum in Northumberland, but temporarily suffering hearstroke in Zummerzett.

Sam(uel).

Wandering off topic Sam, if you are in Zummerzett then maybe a trip to Yandles would be a good idea.

Bob

Always a good idea, this Friday 6th I'll be delving into the darkest (literally) recess of the wood store at the show - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)