It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:20

Extra Oak Shelf - Finishing?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Extra Oak Shelf - Finishing?

Postby felixgogo » 06 Sep 2019, 11:04

Recently I purchased an oak bookcase - as my work working skills don't yet extend to total construction. I asked the vendor if they would sell me an extra shelf, as the items I'm displaying were too small for the 3 spaces as standard. They refused to sell me a shelf, which I thought was a bit mean.

Not to be put off, I got a offcut from my local wood yard, and cut this to size, repositioning the others shelves to suit.

However, my bare oak timber shelf needs to have some finish on it to approach a match - any suggestions?
felixgogo
Seedling

Name:

Re: Extra Oak Shelf - Finishing?

Postby 9fingers » 06 Sep 2019, 11:36

Maybe you should “Phone a Friend” :lol:

Try just some varnish of your choice on an offcut of your offcut that has had the same degree of sanding as the bare shelf. Nearly all finishes will darken the surface a bit immediately and a bit more still over time.
If want it darker straightaway then try some spirit based light oak stain on another offcut. Stain on varnish won’t take. I like rustins but there are others. Apply sparingly with brush paper towel or clean rag. Leave to soak for a minute or so then wipe over with towel or rag to remove excess/ even up the effect.
Varnish on top of stain won’t darken much so you can test the colour just after staining. Further coats of stain won’t do a lot more. But looking at your photo I think light oak will do the job for you.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 06 Sep 2019, 12:00

I think you first have to determine what is on the original. If the people who sold you the bookcase won't or can't tell you what it is, then see if they will give you a category. Is it an oil, a lacquer, a varnish, a wax, or a 2-part product? If they won't tell you, then you might just see if there is someone more experienced than you nearby who can give you an opinion. It's only then that you'll be able to decide on the best match.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Sep 2019, 18:46

If the original piece is a commercial job then it's almost certainly been sprayed with a proprietary lacquer or similar so you may find some difficulty in matching a new shelf to it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Sep 2019, 18:53

Woodbloke wrote:If the original piece is a commercial job then it's almost certainly been sprayed with a proprietary lacquer or similar so you may find some difficulty in matching a new shelf to it - Rob

I was working on the assumption that the OP would be OK with a "near enough is good enough" finish compare to the starkness of a piece of raw oak in a finished item.
Agreed a good match will be very difficult and possibly need the commerical finish to be removed and the whole piece treated in the same way.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Sep 2019, 22:55

9fingers wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:If the original piece is a commercial job then it's almost certainly been sprayed with a proprietary lacquer or similar so you may find some difficulty in matching a new shelf to it - Rob

I was working on the assumption that the OP would be OK with a "near enough is good enough" finish compare to the starkness of a piece of raw oak in a finished item.
Agreed a good match will be very difficult and possibly need the commerical finish to be removed and the whole piece treated in the same way.

Bob

:text-+1: Agreed Bob, spot on - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby felixgogo » 08 Sep 2019, 03:14

Thanks all, given the original vendor sells a 'wax' to use for further care, I suspect this is what is used.

And agreed, I'm looking to get close enough so it doesn't scream out its presence.

Good idea on testing on an offcut, this is what I'll do.

Thanks again everyone.

Ian
felixgogo
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Sep 2019, 07:22

felixgogo wrote:Thanks all, given the original vendor sells a 'wax' to use for further care, I suspect this is what is used.

And agreed, I'm looking to get close enough so it doesn't scream out its presence.

Thanks again everyone.

Ian

posted at 03.14 :o Now does that make you a very late owl or a very early lark ? :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Sep 2019, 08:36

RogerS wrote:posted at 03.14 :o Now does that make you a very late owl or a very early lark ? :lol:

Or somebody suffering with insomnia as I do? (but it appears to be getting better :eusa-pray: :eusa-pray: ) - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Sep 2019, 13:16

felixgogo wrote:Thanks all, given the original vendor sells a 'wax' to use for further care, I suspect this is what is used.

Thanks again everyone.

Ian

I doubt very much it’s a wax finish. We have several small Oak units and the vendor sells wax to care for it but the original finish is some kind of varnish. I know this because it has chipped off in a couple of places. It’s not just clear varnish either, it has been tinted with something.

Probably the easiest finish you could apply is just some sanding sealer. You can apply it with a cloth or a brush and then wipe over it with some very fine sandpaper when it’s dry to de knib.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby felixgogo » 14 Sep 2019, 02:55

Early - because I'm in Hong Kong! So 7 hours ahead.

I think you're right, it's a spray finish, then the wax is for touching up and further care. So in fact it could be anything!

I'll try a few finishes on the bottom of the shelf to see what is closest.
felixgogo
Seedling

Name:

Return to Finishing