It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:30

Quotes

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Quotes

Postby Jonathan » 24 Sep 2019, 21:15

Guys....how do you add a quote when replying?
You probable noticed I always muck this up....Help.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Re: Quotes

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Sep 2019, 21:29

Jonathan wrote:Guys....how do you add a quote when replying?
You probable noticed I always muck this up....Help.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

There’s a quote button at the top of each post that will auto populate the full post as a quote into your reply.

If you want to add comments in between multiple quotes then you need to understand how a quote works.

When you click ‘quote’ you will the start of the text prefixed with the following text [ quote="Jonathan"] (I’ve added a space after the square bracket so it stays as text in this reply) then the end of the quote has an ‘end statement’ which is [ /quote]

So if you want to do multiple quotes then you need to do a little cut&paste editing to ensure that the quote text is bookended with the above open/end statements.

Hopefully that makes sense...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Robert » 24 Sep 2019, 22:54

and if you click quote on someone's reply with multiple quotes in it you can see the formatting as the whole post will appear in your potential reply window. Just use the browser back button after you've had a look.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Jonathan » 25 Sep 2019, 04:43

Jonathan[/quote]

Hi Jonathan

There’s a quote button at the top of each post that will auto populate the full post as a quote into your reply.

If you want to add comments in between multiple quotes then you need to understand how a quote works.

When you click ‘quote’ you will the start of the text prefixed with the following text [ quote="Jonathan"] (I’ve added a space after the square bracket so it stays as text in this reply) then the end of the quote has an ‘end statement’ which is [ /quote]

So if you want to do multiple quotes then you need to do a little cut&paste editing to ensure that the quote text is bookended with the above open/end statements.

Hopefully that makes sense...[/quote]

Thanks guys....lets see if this works.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 25 Sep 2019, 04:47

Arrrr.....will try again later when I get to a computer, at the moment using Tapatalk on mobile.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Robert » 25 Sep 2019, 09:40

I don't use tapatalk but somehow the first tag of the quote has been changed.

it should start [quote='then the name of the person etc

But you have the second tag that ends the quote at the start ie [/quote

I've left the endings off the tags so they don't work. The ] square bracket ends each tag.

Guess we need another tapatalk user to see if quote works ok.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Sep 2019, 10:36

Robert wrote:I don't use tapatalk but somehow the first tag of the quote has been changed.

it should start [quote='then the name of the person etc

But you have the second tag that ends the quote at the start ie [/quote

I've left the endings off the tags so they don't work. The ] square bracket ends each tag.

Guess we need another tapatalk user to see if quote works ok.

This is from Tapatalk. And my reply last night was from Tapatalk. The issue isn’t Tapatalk, it’s a classic PEBKAC error!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Sep 2019, 10:41

Interestingly though, your message shows very odd in Tapatalk (see pic).

I think I understand why, because despite you leaving a space before the square bracket, it still seems to be interpreting everything in between the square bracket/quote closed square bracket as the text within.

Different behaviour in phpBB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Simon_M » 25 Sep 2019, 10:58

TrimTheKing wrote:
Jonathan wrote:How do you add a quote when replying?

It's certainly not the easiest of tasks to get right!

Using "Preview" shows how the quoted text will look - so if you edited the quote down to just one sentence, you can verify that the tag structure remains intact. If you make a mistake, then using the "back" or "undo" buttons on your browser can undo the changes or even "exit" the reply editor all together.

Jonathan wrote:I will try again later when I get to a computer.

Using a computer may allow you more freedom to package several quotes into one reply. Quote each of the original posts and paste the text into your favourite editor and use the "back" button to exit the reply editor. You can then rearrange the text and paste this into a new reply, then click Preview and Submit.

This is also an easy way to quote two parts of the same quotation, avoiding too much intermediate text from the original quote, you can copy the quote in your editor and select only the text you want in each quote, adding a reply to it.

Robert wrote:The ] square bracket ends each tag.

Almost, this quote contains a square bracket, but it's still correctly formatted because each [tag] has it's own "matching" end [/tag]. The reply editor has buttons to help add additional tags e.g. select some text and click the formatting buttons to underline some text.

The simplest editing mistake is to shorten the original quoted text and inadvertently remove some of the surrounding (nested) tag structure(s). Using Preview or counting "matching" tags can help.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Simon_M
Seedling

Name: Simon

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Sep 2019, 11:00

Correct Simon. Takes me back to learning Pascal and C++, count to make sure you have the right number of ‘end’s for the number of procedures you have. :D
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Simon_M » 25 Sep 2019, 11:17

TrimTheKing wrote:Takes me back to learning Pascal and C++

I also learned Lisp, it has super parentheses "]]", which is a closing super right bracket, which makes up for how ever many closing round parentheses you need.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Simon_M
Seedling

Name: Simon

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests