It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:28

Statins....Urg!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Statins....Urg!

Postby RogerS » 10 Oct 2019, 11:08

Well I've just had my bloods taken (results tomorrow) to see if my lifestyle changes have made any difference. Even if they are the same (HDL and LDL) then I'll not bother with statins as I rang the changes on QRISK and the marginal improvements (at least for me) only brought the risk down fractionally. So on balance, I'd rather take that risk than risk side-effects etc. Still not on any regular medication and long may it stay like that.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Oct 2019, 11:41

Malc2098 wrote: But since taking statins, this was every night lying awake for hours.

Back to the GP to discuss a solution, he suggested to take the tablet with breakfast. It seems to have worked. I've had the last five consecutive nights dropping of soon after going to bed and sleeping for 8 or 9 hours!

So, fingers crossed, and I'm also trying to adjust lifestyle to get off the bloomin' things.

9fingers wrote:
At my recent annual diabetic check up, my nurse put me on Atorvastatin 40mg instead of simvastatin.
I noticed an immediate change. Very poor sleeping indeed and mild mental confusion

Bob

Isn't that interesting? Both of you chaps have experienced the same sort of sleep problems that I had and Malc, I assume that the doc put you on Astorvastatin (20mg is the 'normal' dose)? As my doc said (great bloke by the way who said to me that 'treating insomnia was a sod!' :lol: ) everyone is different and drugs affect people in different ways, but he said months ago when this started that 'it's always the drugs' when this sort of thing happens - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Oct 2019, 12:11

I think I was born with mild mental confusion. :lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 10 Oct 2019, 12:20

Malc2098 wrote:I think I was born with mild mental confusion. :lol:

Nah, it's what happens when you get to your age :lol: 8-)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Oct 2019, 15:57

RogerS wrote:

You can be a bitch at times, Roger! :lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 10 Oct 2019, 16:16

Malc2098 wrote:
RogerS wrote:

You can be a bitch at times, Roger! :lol:

I feel Malc is probably correct in saying "I think I was born with mild mental confusion"

He has now developed it fully to maturity with age. :lol: :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Oct 2019, 16:28

9fingers wrote: mild mental confusion...

Bob

I wondered if that phrase could be extrapolated when I left it in? Apparently in can :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Oct 2019, 16:51

You boys! :lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 10 Oct 2019, 17:00

I’ve been slowly weaned off one of my pain killers that gave we twitches, trembles and sent me to sleep. I only had to sit in an arm chair and I’d fall asleep.

Sadly the sleeping has gone back to normal but the pain has come back! Catch 22.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Oct 2019, 17:26

Malc2098 wrote:You boys! :lol:

Plenty of milage in that phrase Malc :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 10 Oct 2019, 21:03

Okay, drugs, their side effects...right? I am developing marked arthritis (species unknown) in both thumbs/wrists. The present anti-inflammatory is supposed to be taken with codeine phosphate as a pain killer. Zombie synthesis is more like it. Now, 'Ah ken fine weel' codeine is an opioid, but does the doziness pass with time, or, do I need to seek a less stupifying jungle juice? Anybody out there on long term experience of it?

Snoring Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Rod » 10 Oct 2019, 23:47

I was on Co Codamol for a time but didn’t suffer any tiredness - it made me constipated.

I found paracetamol together with ibuprofen worked better with no side effects.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Oct 2019, 07:37

Rod wrote:
I found paracetamol together with ibuprofen worked better with no side effects.

Rod

When I had my op a few years ago, paracetamol and ibruprofen were the drugs of choice to reduce pain - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Oct 2019, 09:31

I'm fortunate and don't seem to be affected by the drowsiness side effect of drugs that a lot of people do.

I had an infected wisdom tooth a few years back and was on the train to London for work. A friend of mine who suffers badly with carpal tunnel was travelling that day too and gave me two Tramadol from her personal stash and told me to suffer for the day and take one when I got home that night otherwise I'd be asleep at my desk. The pain was such (and without bigging myself up I have a high pain threshhold) that to her horror I popped two of those bad boys down with a glass of water immediately!

She looked at me like she was going to beat me and admonished me for the silly boy that I am and said I now needed to be careful because I would be falling asleep inside the hour, I smiled. Needless to say she was incredulous when I messaged her two hours later to say the pain was much subsided and no drowsy effects.

Also reminds me of when I was about 15 and had an op to repair a shattered arm from a sports injury. I was chatting away to the anaesthetist about how he might need to give me an extra dose because I remembered being about 12 and having my adenoids out and the chap then telling me he had to give me extra to put me out. This fella just gave me a 'Yeah yeah yeah, big man thinks he's impervious to anaesthetic, like all the tenagers!' look.

When I came round after the op he made a special trip to see me and told me, with a smile, that he did have to give me an large adult dose to properly put me under and could they take some bloods to test to understand why it was. :lol:

I wonder if that is my super power? Not that it's particularly helpful! :eusa-think:

Codeine for me though, like Rod, bungs me up something rotten! :?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 11 Oct 2019, 14:46

Thanks Gents. Apparently, I have been prescribed anti-inflammatories for so long ('bout 5-6 years) the docs are quite worried re my liver function being knobbled :o . That's why they shied away from Ibroprofen; my previous 'flammo' was a super duper coz of it. I'm now on Naproxen (seems useless, frankly) and Omeprazole to stop the over-acidification common with this drug family. [The acid reflux can be high Molar !].

As regards pain control, I remember co-codamol (rugby player's knee and lumbar disc) but again, the history makes 'em cautious re re-introduction of it. Paracetemol? Same caution re liver apparently. Deitydammit, I seem to be stuck with opium derivitives.

Reckon I'll go back to the medics, seek a review; I vaguely remember you can get steroid injections in the joints.

Cheers, Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby Coley » 12 Oct 2019, 12:54

Might be worth asking if pregabalin would help. It's used for longterm pain relief amongst other things, in my case my back. I've had to taper up to the required dose and it really wasn't pleasant. Side effects pass after 3 weeks though- dizziness, insomnia and a general feeling of being completely off my face.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 13 Oct 2019, 22:25

Sheesh...Coley...Okay, will see the local G.P. to see if he/she will jump.

Sam
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 14 Oct 2019, 15:58

Bloods in....a marginal improvement 6.3 > 6.0 but probably statistically insignificant. I'll keep on the minimal sat fat regime though. Just try that bit harder.

Just got three parameters slightly out of kilter and my goal is to clear those back into the normal range.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Oct 2019, 18:00

RogerS wrote: I'll keep on the minimal sat fat regime though. Just try that bit harder.

Low sat fat seems to be a key player...and your'e always trying Rog :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 15 Oct 2019, 09:39

I've just read a page or two of this thread and was struck by the number of contributors who are on some form of long term medication. Makes me wonder how the human race survived this far when such products were not available.

Am I being too cynical if I suggest that the statistics on risks are over played, the statistics on side effects are played down and that the best option for most things is do nothing ?

Maybe I'm lucky (apart from major surgery for prostate cancer) but when my GP put me on something for high blood pressure I did a personal clinical trial - didnt take the medication at all - went back to see him after 3 months and was told that it was working fine, blood pressure much better.

More or less the same for cholesterol a year or two later - only thought about taking it - and it worked a treat.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby RogerS » 15 Oct 2019, 10:04

chataigner wrote:I've just read a page or two of this thread and was struck by the number of contributors who are on some form of long term medication. Makes me wonder how the human race survived this far when such products were not available.

Am I being too cynical if I suggest that the statistics on risks are over played, the statistics on side effects are played down and that the best option for most things is do nothing ?

Maybe I'm lucky (apart from major surgery for prostate cancer) but when my GP put me on something for high blood pressure I did a personal clinical trial - didnt take the medication at all - went back to see him after 3 months and was told that it was working fine, blood pressure much better.

More or less the same for cholesterol a year or two later - only thought about taking it - and it worked a treat.

Couldn't agree with you more ! You've followed my doctrine of BRAN.

What are the :

Benefits of taking medication

Risks of taking it

Alternatives to the medication

Nothing ...what happens if I don't take it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Oct 2019, 11:00

chataigner wrote: Makes me wonder how the human race survived this far when such products were not available.

Human beans just died a lot younger and had bigger families to compensate

RogerS wrote:...my doctrine of BRAN.

..and that's one of things that you ought to be munching quite a lot of to reduce cholesterol (or so it says in the NHS publication) - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Oct 2019, 11:24

Just had my statins review with my GP. I told him taking them in the morning appears to have improved my ability to get off to sleep at nighttime, but is still playing havoc with my stomach.

How went back though all my numbers over the last two years, took my BP again, which he said was awesome, put the numbers back into qrisk2 and it came out 24.5%.

He agreed that my BP, cholesterol and those things were not in anyway bad, but the things I couldn't change were my age, gender, being European etc.

He said he was prepared to reduce the dose to 10mg Atorvastatin instead of the standard 20mg. I agreed.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 23 Oct 2019, 11:53

Thought this might be of interested to some of you guys
Article on BBC about when to take blood pressure meds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50122964
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Oct 2019, 14:39

Useful to know...thanks Andy - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat