It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:34

Games & Card Table (complete)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Octo - card table

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Nov 2019, 08:12

Ha! Indeed!... I've still to get the router out and try not to mess up the perimeter string and burr Oak lipping today ...eek! Then there's sanding through.... Or messing up the finish potential.... No turning back now, I'm mid tight rope.

I'd probably of switched across to a router and template (the sensible route in the first place!) if the hole needs to go up tho, Roger's method above is a good way to go up sizes when you've lost your centre point or indeed have no centre at all... handy for lots applications

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Nov 2019, 08:14

Andyp wrote:Project of the year I’d say.
Feels like it's taking a year !

Thanks Andy and Rod.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby stu » 07 Nov 2019, 12:02

Mike G wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:....Thanks Mike, I was poised with the 40mm forstner... Just incase I (goofed) had to go up a size ...

The problem with that is that the first goof-up might have stuffed up the centre-point, and to try to start a Forstner on its rim, without the centrepoint biting first, would have been a catastrophe. So you'd have had to drill out with say a spade bit, smaller than the first Forstner, insert a plug, re-find the centre, then attempt your bigger size Forstner...........knowing that if that one didn't work you'd be going through that all over again with an even bigger Forstner. Too much angst!!

You just need to drill through a bit of scrap first and clamp in it the correct spot and it will guide the forstner perfectly!

In fact, I would have been tempted to do it this way on a piece like this anyway, I'm not a brave as Jimmy
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Nov 2019, 12:50

Ok, now you lot have me wondering about my plan to use this *hole saw to sink the four (playing) chip cups

EDIT *"Workzone" by Aldi

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Nov 2019, 13:15

:text-bravo:

Bloody lovely work mate and very glad you're sharing it with us on here, despite telephony submergence... :eusa-doh: :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2019, 13:39

I would take a piece of scrap and drill a hole the same size as the pilot drill on the hole cutter.
Drill the same size hole in the table 15-20 mm deep. Use the shank of the drill to align the scrap and the table. Take a second piece of scrap and put it under the table if you plan you hole to go all the way through.
Clamp up the sandwich of scrap-table-scrap securely. Say prayers and drill all the way into the lower scrap and maybe all the way through the lot. Rinse and repeat with fresh scrap for each hole.

Do test hole first because one those hole saws don’t drill accurately to the marked size. You have a little wriggle room due to the lip on the cup which is an advantage.
If there much of a gap, wind a narrow strip of tape round circumference of the cup just under the rim until it is a nice self retaining fit. Then invert the table and backfill with epoxy to secure it. The tape will remove the risk of epoxy leaking through and marring the top surface.

I did a very similar job with tea light holders a couple of years back

HTH
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 07 Nov 2019, 14:36

Will those cups be removable by pushing through from the underneath? If not how are you going to clear out the base of the hole?
Whether drilling right through or not is investing in a forstner bit for those holes out of the question? tear out from those hole saws can be awful.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Nov 2019, 14:58

I bought Axminster drill guide to hog out the mortises of my framing.

While the principle appears OK, the axminster one has too much play in it. It's very sloppy. I don't know if the Wolf or Rutlands versions are any better.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Nov 2019, 20:13

Some top tips chaps, thank you. The hole saw cuts a perfect snug hole; friction fit. There's only 20mm of material to go through so the plan will be along the lines of...

• Remove top from legs.
• Cut template with the hole cutter
• Clamp template in place
• Cut 25mm access hole for a shear cut, bottom bearing router cutter to drop in and do the deed.

The cups have a turned over lip so will sit proud by 2.5mm and cover any line in the hole. These will be removable for cleaning maintenance; a simple push from the underside.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 18.53.18.png
(302.39 KiB)

I cut out the octagon and test fitted today with some scrap to form the perimeter cap, this has some (really sticky!) self adhesive T. O. Olstation & Sons draft brush on the inside to take up the 3mm tolerance and make for a squeaky fit. :eusa-dance:

IMG_20191107_112917498.jpg
(103.48 KiB)

IMG_20191107_113546881.jpg
(125.31 KiB)

IMG_20191107_114532455.jpg
(82.94 KiB)

I've cut some holes to receive the tops of the cups, they'll be some felt pads too. I might line the cup holes with baize :eusa-think: -too much ?

IMG_20191107_145239286.jpg
8, so it works in any rotation to receive the four
(188.29 KiB)
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Nov 2019, 21:52

I like the baize touch. I've started putting it on the base of my wooden tea light holders.

(Been using up offcuts of the larch of my post and beam frame)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby chataigner » 08 Nov 2019, 08:46

I've just caught up on this thread - wow ! Amazing work ! Chapeau !!! :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Looking forward to the next progress report.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2019, 15:57

Lippings with Ebony detail added (mini, rebate, insert
4x4mm string, plane, router trim).

The top is lipped.... this was a slow and labourious process ... And quickly dulled and caked my TS blade cutting the ply mitres... Think Smokey fresh ply aromas ....I was reluctant to drop the tooth count for fear of wrecking the burr.... Any tips? Thoughts?

ImageImageImageImage

Now to softly, softly clean up and not wreck the show Image

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2019, 16:01

Malc2098 wrote:I like the baize touch. I've started putting it on the base of my wooden tea light holders.

(Been using up offcuts of the larch of my post and beam frame)
Here's the baize, I'll be using, picked by the customer..... First dealings with this company, and the service and advice has been excellent. Lovely fabrics too

https://www.baizewoolfabrics.co.uk/prod ... -pale-sea/

(Ps...No affiliation)

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 09 Nov 2019, 16:05

Ouch! I just saw the price

"£114.95 - £149.95 / m inc. VAT"

Is that per mile rather than metre? :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Nov 2019, 16:09

Jimmy Mack wrote:
https://www.baizewoolfabrics.co.uk/prod ... -pale-sea/

(Ps...No affiliation)

Nice, very nice.

I'll be also trying out some different coloured suede, goatskin, I think, from a retired bookbinder.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby fiveeyes » 09 Nov 2019, 18:11

Just caught up this WIP. I can say no more than what has already been said.
OUTSTANDING
It is, without doubt, a pleasure to watch a true craftsman. :text-bravo: I shall continue to make all sizes of kindling, and loads of sawdust. Truly inspiring.

bill
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2019, 19:42

fiveeyes wrote:Just caught up this WIP. I can say no more than what has already been said.
OUTSTANDING
It is, without doubt, a pleasure to watch a true craftsman. :text-bravo: I shall continue to make all sizes of kindling, and loads of sawdust. Truly inspiring.

bill
Too kind Bill, you're making me blush.

I have a large pile of kindling too... And I've not mentioned my first games octogan was too small as I measured the width of the flat sides but marked these as the points! (that probably makes no sense).... ... Any ideas for a lovely Oak octogan on ply let me know

Oh ...and here are a some coopered toes I made...too big.... What was I thinking ?!

Jnr will be getting some bridges for his train set from Santa

But we won't tell anyone it can be our secret

Last edited by Jimmy Mack on 09 Nov 2019, 19:51, edited 3 times in total.
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2019, 19:44

9fingers wrote:Ouch! I just saw the price

"£114.95 - £149.95 / m inc. VAT"

Is that per mile rather than metre?

Bob
true... It's good gear though, ever if I can't afford it myself

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 09 Nov 2019, 21:14

[quote=

The top is lipped.... this was a slow and labourious process ... And quickly dulled and caked my TS blade cutting the ply mitres... Think Smokey fresh ply aromas ....I was reluctant to drop the tooth count for fear of wrecking the burr.... Any tips? Thoughts?
/quote]

Jim....I use a sharp rip blade on the slider for all my cross cutting of solid timber....I find too many teeth and the charf can't clear......I generally use the rip blade for everything except MFC and MDF.

Ps....my blades are 300mm diameter, don't know what the results would be with a smaller diameter.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Nov 2019, 14:27

I think next time I'll go with a 300mm ripper and try and back everything out.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 15 Nov 2019, 19:24

A few shots of the baize going on, I was pretty nervous doing this and the fabric (real wool) wasn't cheap. It's not something I've much experience with either. If anyone does have any experience laying baize do chip in.

First job was to mask up with a cheap 'rag'

ImageImageImageImage

I rolled baize onto the tube it arrived on and rolled it out onto the contact adhesive like you would when applying a pastry top to a pie

Once down I used a decorators foam mini roller to flatten out into the adhesive

Then a trim with 10mm excess, a tuck, trim and final trim

ImageImage

And here with the chip cups popped in place. These weren't too bad to install, though I did have to notch out a bit of the top of the legs, which was a pain.

Now to wrap it up away from harm.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Nov 2019, 19:45

Hang on a sec......how does that work? Where have the half-hidden card inlays gone?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 15 Nov 2019, 20:01

Mike G wrote:Hang on a sec......how does that work? Where have the half-hidden card inlays gone?
It's drying...

This is it with the first coat, I was going to go with Roger's method using the RAW + 3032... But learnt that RAW works by using a white pigment, which would of messed up my Black's and Ebony details (milky)

So I've continued with wax oil for maximum chatoyance.... Though it will golden over time, which I feel will look quite ok/ mellow with the Oak ( Mike, I think you mentioned the finish tones being more similar/ relaxed / mellow in your earlier comment, when I popped up the drawings).

For clarity the card top pops on-top of the baize top, here's the test fit from an earlier post with the gash ply edging

I've made a stand kit which lives underneath... Photos soon

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Octo - card table (baize)

Postby Robert » 15 Nov 2019, 20:30

Amazing project and can only echo all the other superlatives already posted :)

One small suggestion get some of this stuff from screwfix for masking wide areas

https://www.screwfix.com/p/kip-drop-clo ... -33m/9004g

Comes in different widths and the polythene has a nice static cling to whatever you stick the tape to. I used 3 different widths during some recent redecorating and was impressed with it. Tape is probably not as good as the best painters tape but it all came off clean without tearing and sealed fine at the edge.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Octo - card table (baize)

Postby Jimmy Mack » 15 Nov 2019, 21:15

Robert wrote:Amazing project and can only echo all the other superlatives already posted :)

One small suggestion get some of this stuff from screwfix for masking wide areas

https://www.screwfix.com/p/kip-drop-clo ... -33m/9004g

Comes in different widths and the polythene has a nice static cling to whatever you stick the tape to. I used 3 different widths during some recent redecorating and was impressed with it. Tape is probably not as good as the best painters tape but it all came off clean without tearing and sealed fine at the edge.
Interesting, Robert, that would of been very useful, and I like that it appears to have no adhesive; working off static.

Thanks

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP