It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:00

A VERY long term project - Finally finished !

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: A VERY long term project - at last a progress report !

Postby chataigner » 19 Sep 2019, 17:14

Back after a long absence ! 18 months since I posted on this "little house for rental" project, but I have some progress to report ! It is awesome slow, but I'm active in two photo clubs plus the equestrian club, have a 2/3 acre garden and Isabelle works full time, so I'm the cook on weekdays. That's my excuse anyhow. Here's how it looked early 2018 :

So what have I done ? The south facade joinery has all been replaced in oak made in the workshop during the winter, this includes doubling the size of the lh window, new lintel etc and I've just heard that the double glazed panels are ready for collection, so they will be fitted later this week (polythene stapled in the openings for now to keep stray cats out !).

Outside I've fitted the first battens for exterior insulation and later, wood cladding. Needed the cladding to cover the horrible brickwork, so it seemed like a good idea to add insulation at the same time, allows me to save space inside.

The upper floor has been fitted out with a dry liner and new dividing walls (french style metal frames, rockwool insulation and plasterboard), Isabelle has started on the plasterboard joints.

Next step is a lowered ceiling to allow insulation and somewhere to hide the electrical cables. I've made a little progress on the electrics - we now have light to allow work in the evenings as the year advances. Plumbing is done as far as is possible without the final kitchen and bathroom fittings. The open plan kitchen corner is started, as is the bathroom.

Over the next few weeks while Isabelle gets on with the plasterboard joints, I will move downstairs and fit the dry liner and new partition walls. Then, during the winter I'll make the new front door and two N side windows.

Will try to post more regularly !
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Sep 2019, 18:07

Coming along.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 20 Sep 2019, 06:32

And there's me thinking Brexit had got the better of you. :)

That's some progress.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby StevieB » 20 Sep 2019, 07:28

Impressive! Have you got a steel plate between those beams or just 2 pieces of timber? I had thought from the earlier photos that it was a single beam, but from the last photo it doesn't look that way - any sag at all?

I took out a wall in our old house and despite a steel beam and acro's the wall above it still dropped enough to introduce sheer stress cracks in the plaster that meant I had to strip it back to brick and have it done again (plastering is one of the things I just cannot do myself!). It has taken about 12 months to settle fully :shock:
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Sep 2019, 08:08

I see you are using pressed metal profiles for your stud walls, as is common on the continent. Spaniards who visit us here look really confused when I tell them our walls are made of wood.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 20 Sep 2019, 08:27

StevieB wrote:Impressive! Have you got a steel plate between those beams or just 2 pieces of timber? I had thought from the earlier photos that it was a single beam, but from the last photo it doesn't look that way - any sag at all?

The two beams are bolted together in five places with 16mm steel bolts and wooden spacers to maintain the overall width I wanted. As for sag - nothing visible, but as this house is upside down (living space on the first floor and bedrooms below) there is nothing above except joists supporting the attic floor, so I doubt I'd notice.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 20 Sep 2019, 08:33

Mike G wrote:I see you are using pressed metal profiles for your stud walls, as is common on the continent. Spaniards who visit us here look really confused when I tell them our walls are made of wood.

Yes, and the great advantage when fitting a dry lining in an old building like this is that the galvanised profiles are very resistant to damp - the previous dry liner in this house pre-dated the steel profiles and the wood frames had rotted (fortunately not dry rot).
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 20 Sep 2019, 09:20

I've always thought those galvanised profiles were a good idea.
They are heavily used here for office partitioning but I've rarely seen them used for housing here or even being promoted at building exhibitions. I sometimes think that the UK building trade is very change resistant unless forced to adpart to meet building regs.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby chataigner » 20 Sep 2019, 10:17

...and they are soooo quick to install because the rails and uprights interlock, no awkward skew nailing of butt joints. You can clip the uprights into the top and bottom rails without finally fixing them, then any small misalignment with the plasterboard sheets due to sloping floors etc, can be corrected by sliding the uprights to fit as you attach the plasterboard. They also have pre-punched holes for passing conduits through and the channel profile holds the insulation until you fit the plasterboard. Brilliant !
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby StevieB » 21 Sep 2019, 07:38

Yes, but over here they are waaaaay more expensive than a length of studding - suspect that is a large part of the reason they haven't caught on!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Sep 2019, 13:52

Yeah that, and the conduit thing. We wire our buildings very differently from those on the continent, and don't use much if any conduit at domestic level. Conduit would be necessary with the pressed metal studwork.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Sep 2019, 19:15

We split one very large bedroom into two when we moved here and those metal frames were used. I am still loathed to hang anything heavy on the plasterboard. I am aware of Molly and other plasterboard fixings but give be a solid wood stud any day.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 22 Sep 2019, 11:02

Me too - but just like the wood studs, if you can locate the metal frames, the fixings in metal that concertina when tightened work very well. Needs a steel compatible drill of course...
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 22 Sep 2019, 11:07

Fitted the glass yesterday. The weather forecast was for rain and high winds, not too worried about the rain on its own, but my stapled on poly would not stay put long in high winds.

In the event it was nothing much, but at least it's raining - first significant rain since june. :D :D
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 22 Sep 2019, 11:15

Mike G wrote:Yeah that, and the conduit thing. We wire our buildings very differently from those on the continent, and don't use much if any conduit at domestic level. Conduit would be necessary with the pressed metal studwork.

Put like that the conduit sounds daunting, but it's actually flexible plastic tube, prewired with 3x1.5mm2 or 3x2.5mm2 single strands. You feed it though the studs off a reel just like you would with UK flat twin and earth - plus you can always pull an extra wire or two in where needed. Around 40c/m for the 2.5.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 14 Oct 2019, 23:39

The back of the ground floor is below the level of the garden in this little house - it's built into a hill. There are some concerns with damp - more than that - with water getting in so I've taken lots of measures to ensure good drainage above in the garden close to the house. Now, just for belt and braces, I'm creating a "cellar" area at the back where the old staircase was which will be separated from the downstairs living areas by an insulated partition wall.

In the cellar will be some rough storage and things like the gas cylinder for the cooker, the hot water cylinder etc. I've dug down though the centuries of accumulated rubbish under the old floor (joists laid straight onto the soil would you believe !!!) and found bed rock about 30cm down. The house walls are built directly onto the rock, quite reassuring really !

However - I could picture water arriving via the sub soil onto the bed rock, then seeping/flowing along the sloping surface of the rock under the rest of the house, sooooo, I've spent a day drilling, chiselling etc to create a sump in the rock and a series of channels to direct water to it and plan to fit a float actuated pump to get rid of any accumulation of water. Above will be hardcore for drainage then a concrete floor.

The pumps I could find in the big sheds here are for wells and need at least 30cm of water to function - not suitable - then I thought about my boat in the UK, that had a little 12v electric bilge pump with a float switch and cleared all but 15mm or so of water in the bilge. Found a super one on line plus a mains to 12v DC power supply to run it, all for less than 35€. It's just arrived. Installation tomorrow.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 15 Oct 2019, 07:17

chataigner wrote:
Mike G wrote:Yeah that, and the conduit thing. We wire our buildings very differently from those on the continent, and don't use much if any conduit at domestic level. Conduit would be necessary with the pressed metal studwork.

Put like that the conduit sounds daunting, but it's actually flexible plastic tube, prewired with 3x1.5mm2 or 3x2.5mm2 single strands. You feed it though the studs off a reel just like you would with UK flat twin and earth - plus you can always pull an extra wire or two in where needed. Around 40c/m for the 2.5.

Interesting. In Spain, the conduit is fitted empty.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 15 Nov 2019, 23:39

Not a huge amount of progress that's easily photographed, though quite a bit going on - insulation etc. and the electrical distribution board fitted and connected on my side at least. The most visible part is some kitchen cupboard doors, wood frame plus mdf panel, built in the workshop and fitted (mostly) today. I say mostly cos one was 2cm too short. All the others are under drawers, so it's the only full height one and somehow I'd got it wrong. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Will the site software pick up the word Merde I wonder ?

Photos when it's replaced - happily I have enough material left over....
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Nov 2019, 00:21

Zyt alors!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 16 Nov 2019, 23:20

" using pressed metal profiles for your stud walls, as is common on the continent"

Don't have to go that far Mike. My two Nephews-in-Law have used them extensively in Dublin for 15 - 20 years as large mill buildings etc become subdivided into apartments. They aim to completely 'board out' a conventional 3 bedroom house shell in a day. Laser level, metal framing, screw guns.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby flying haggis » 17 Nov 2019, 17:33

there are quite a few houses in parts of Norfolk on new estates that use the metal studding. I know coz I delivered it to the sites. I think normal t&e just gets used with metal studwork here ie no conduit
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby chataigner » 25 Nov 2019, 11:10

Nearly two weeks of continuous rain or drizzle has put a stop to progress on the dry liner and stud walls downstairs because I ran out of plasterboard a few days ago and cant fetch more with an open trailer in the wet.
So... I've built and fitted the kitchen cupboard doors and drawers. Simple cope/stick joinery and mdf panels. I wanted real tree wood wooden doors so that they could easily be touched up in case of damage because once the pretty melamine or lacquer jobs are chipped there's not a lot you can do (the house will be rented out).

First coat of lasure has come up horribly orange (it says med oak on the tin) looks like I'll need to find a better colour. MDF will be painted to match other things in the kitchen when we decide on colour schemes.

Oh yes, and I've also fitted and wired the new electrical distribution board.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 25 Nov 2019, 11:26

chataigner wrote:....

Oh, I'm so jealous that you're still allowed to that over there. I sympathise with the weather. I wish I had a covered walkway from the workshop to the house :(
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 25 Nov 2019, 11:43

RogerS wrote:

Oh, I'm so jealous that you're still allowed to that over there.

JFDI Roger and if any jobsworth want paperwork get a spark to sign it off.

I don't bother with signing off electrical work but for gas I do all the labouring and get a gas safe man to commission it and make the final gas connection ie tighten up a 22mm compression coupler on the incoming pipe. Last time he ran all the boiler diagnostics and signed off the job for £80 inc vat which gave me 5yrs warranty on the boiler and registartion with the local authority.

There is a muttering about rental properties having to have a regular electrical inspection (Gas safety inspection is already mandatory each year in England). I'm thinking of doing a training course, getting some test equipment and doing it myself.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby fiveeyes » 27 Nov 2019, 02:25

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Oh, I'm so jealous that you're still allowed to that over there.

JFDI Roger and if any jobsworth want paperwork get a spark to sign it off.

I don't bother with signing off electrical work but for gas I do all the labouring and get a gas safe man to commission it and make the final gas connection ie tighten up a 22mm compression coupler on the incoming pipe. Last time he ran all the boiler diagnostics and signed off the job for £80 inc vat which gave me 5yrs warranty on the boiler and registartion with the local authority.

There is a muttering about rental properties having to have a regular electrical inspection (Gas safety inspection is already mandatory each year in England). I'm thinking of doing a training course, getting some test equipment and doing it myself.

Bob

Agtree..when you need a job done right..do it yourself
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP