It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:03

New Member Waggie

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

New Member Waggie

Postby Waggie » 03 Jan 2020, 21:21

Hi guy's I brand new to this forum and in fact new to woodworking, I'm now 64 and eagerly awaiting retirement at 66 (thanks to our government) I've always been very good with my hands, properly comes from my profession (sparks) but It's long been an ambition of mine that when I retire I will spend a large amount of time teaching myself woodturning and small woodworking projects. So during the last 12 months or so I've been buying machinery I now have a record lathe, Wadkin planer, record chisel mortiser, 12" saw bench, biscuit jointer, 2 routers (1 bench mounted, belt sander, orbital sander plus a number of other hand tools. I will acquire tools as required. I am now planning the construction of a workshop and intend to install dust/chip extraction. So a very exciting times for me. retirement only just over 12 months away.
Waggie
Seedling

Name:

Re: New Member Waggie

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jan 2020, 11:06

Hello Waggie and welcome.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jan 2020, 12:09

[quote="Waggie" So a very exciting times for me. retirement only just over 12 months away.[/quote]

+1 Retirement is the best job I've had!
I started early at 55 after a career in electronic research to look after SWMBO who has less than good health. Just squeaked in by 1 month to be able draw state pension at 65 before the rules changed.
Retirement gives me plenty of time in the workshop as well as time for the domestic duties and paydays too. What's not to like!

Nice collection of machinery you have and the skills to look after it.

If you get an idle moment, why not edit your profile to give your approximate location and PM andyP and he will put you on the members map - so useful to find local assistance should you need it.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2020, 12:13

Welcome Waggie.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 04 Jan 2020, 12:50

Welcome to the forum Waggie. As you have a lathe may I suggest you think about joining a wood turning club? I’ve found it very helpful meeting like minded people once a month. The wood sales are also much appreciated.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Jan 2020, 10:31

And a warm welcome from me too.

Dont forget photos of past and present projects we are nosey here and love to see what everyone gets up to. :)

Can someone define retirement? I stopped "working" at 45 but witout drawing a pension, does that count as retired?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Jan 2020, 13:36

Welcome from deepest Mid-Devon!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia