It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:48

Multi Tool

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Multi Tool

Postby Woodster » 13 Feb 2020, 14:02

I’ve never needed one of these before but we’re decorating one of our rooms and among some other horrors was a strip of chipboard that needed to be removed. I initially thought I might be able to do the job with my Japanese pull saw but soon realised it wasn’t going to do the job. After a quick look I bought one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-emt3 ... 240v/622fx

I can’t believe how well it worked and it even left a good finish which surprised me. It came with several blades and a sanding pad so I didn’t need to get anything else. I will be getting a couple of narrow blades just in case though. The blades are easy to change without any tools. Well pleased for the money.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Multi Tool

Postby Rod » 13 Feb 2020, 14:17

The Rolls Royce of them is a Fein which I could never justify buying so have a Bosch instead.

ALDI, Rutlands etc sell cheap blades for them as they have universal mounting holes.

Used mine the other day to cut some architrave off a wall.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Feb 2020, 14:52

I got my blue Bosch version as a Christmas present from my wife and a promo from Screwfix on the basis that I have most of the tools I need but needed to respond to "well what DO you want for Xmas".

Whilst it does not get regular or heavy use, It has been very useful indeed for a number of repair jobs in both my home and in some rental properties. No regrets whatsoever, in fact I'm a fan of them now.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Feb 2020, 15:01

Yep I have a Bosch too and it's had a lot of use over the years. Very handy tool indeed.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Feb 2020, 15:07

Rod wrote:The Rolls Royce of them is a Fein which I could never justify buying so have a Bosch instead.

ALDI, Rutlands etc sell cheap blades for them as they have universal mounting holes.

Rod

When I was working for Ax the lady who was i.c. of purchasing power tools recommended Fein as the best brand out there. She also mentioned (and was a joiner by trade) that if she had to have just one power tool a Fein multi-tool would be her immediate pick - Rob (who hasn't got one and never used one)
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Multi Too

Postby Woodster » 13 Feb 2020, 15:56

I don’t think Its something I’ve ever needed before but it certainly saved me a lot of trouble yesterday. I’m now looking for other uses for it and just saw this hack (pun intended :D) that may be worth trying.

https://youtu.be/SgCam8t3670
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Feb 2020, 16:32

Woodbloke wrote:
Rod wrote:The Rolls Royce of them is a Fein which I could never justify buying so have a Bosch instead.

Rod

When I was working for Ax the lady who was i.c. of purchasing power tools recommended Fein as the best brand out there. She also mentioned (and was a joiner by trade) that if she had to have just one power tool a Fein multi-tool would be her immediate pick - Rob (who hasn't got one and never used one)

I agree with her 100%. I'm on my second one...not because the first wore out, just that the blade clamping mechanism was so, so much better on the later model. Mine have got me out of so many predicaments.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Feb 2020, 18:20

RogerS wrote:I agree with her 100%. I'm on my second one...not because the first wore out, just that the blade clamping mechanism was so, so much better on the later model. Mine have got me out of so many predicaments.

Interesting Rog...so which model did you go for? I don't envisage buying one at the moment but it would be useful to know a gud'n - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 14 Feb 2020, 19:06

+1 for the Fein.
I have the multi master starlock, love being able to change blade or blade position in 1 second flat.
It's one of those tools which when you first buy it you kick yourself for not buying it years ago.
Work colleague had one of the multi tools that takes 5 mins to change the blades, he tried my Fein and he was won over, his old saw went into the dust collection corner.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Feb 2020, 19:24

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:I agree with her 100%. I'm on my second one...not because the first wore out, just that the blade clamping mechanism was so, so much better on the later model. Mine have got me out of so many predicaments.

Interesting Rog...so which model did you go for? I don't envisage buying one at the moment but it would be useful to know a gud'n - Rob

The Fein, Rob.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Feb 2020, 19:26

Jonathan wrote:+1 for the Fein.
Work colleague had one of the multi tools that takes 5 mins to change the blades, he tried my Fein and he was won over, his old saw went into the dust collection corner.

Yup..just like the 1st generation Fein but that is going back years. I'm surprised that they weren't able to patent the idea as they were the first.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 14 Feb 2020, 21:33

I was tempted to go for the Fein when I recently bought my second multi tool but they now have a very impressive blade attachment system with a patent on the blade design. With their blades £5 a pop & my ability to hit a nail most times I use the tool I decided to go for the 18v Makita which uses standard fitting blades which I can get for around a £1 a time
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 14 Feb 2020, 21:56

Doug
Yes the Fein blades can be expensive, we use the wood and nail blades which gets over the hitting an nail problem, although they don't like Spax screws, they will however cut through budget screws.

Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Feb 2020, 00:31

RogerS wrote:The Fein, Rob.

Yep, but which one? Looking at the Ax page there's a few different Fein's and I was always a little puzzled as to which one was better; I'd probably go for this one? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Feb 2020, 06:51

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:The Fein, Rob.

Yep, but which one? Looking at the Ax page there's a few different Fein's and I was always a little puzzled as to which one was better; I'd probably go for this one? - Rob

Yup..that's the one that I got ...does it come in a box ? Mine did. And hopefully they've not changed the box because, for once, the inside dimensions are generous without too many mouldings etc and so putting the Fein back is very easy. Unlike some manufacturers who think you need to be an anti-Houdini to fiddle everything into just 'the' right orientation so you can shut the lid.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 15 Feb 2020, 09:17

Woodbloke wrote:Yep, but which one? Looking at the Ax page there's a few different Fein's and I was always a little puzzled as to which one was better; I'd probably go for this one? - Rob

That was the one I had demonstrated at the FFX show it is a cracking piece of kit.
A chap I work for has an earlier version which I use & they really are quality kit which is why I went for the demo, but as mentioned previously I was put off by the price of the blades, I notice on the Axminster site that a wood metal blade is nearly £11 & even though they say it lasts 3 times as long as a standard blade I can buy 10 blades for that price.

I’m left wondering if Fein did have the patent on multitools as years ago it was the only brand that made them & they were in the £400 range now everyone makes them the fein machines are significantly cheaper so are they making their money on the blades :eusa-think: personally I don’t notice any difference when using like for like Fein & cheap blades on the Fein or Makita
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Feb 2020, 10:42

I get my blades from Saxton.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 15 Feb 2020, 10:50

RogerS wrote:I get my blades from Saxton.

Are they the new starlock plus Rog ?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Feb 2020, 11:36

Doug wrote:

Sorry, Doug...what's starlock plus ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Feb 2020, 13:11

Just watched UToob clip on that Fein; incredible bit of kit, but as you say Doug, expensive accessories. Cheaper on the Fleabay maybe? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 15 Feb 2020, 19:56

RogerS wrote:
Doug wrote:

Sorry, Doug...what's starlock plus ?

Starlock plus is Feins latest blade which works with their new all singing & dancing quick blade attaching/ releasing machine Rog
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 15 Feb 2020, 22:51

I’ve noticed the blades for some makes can be very expensive, I wonder if they last 5 times longer?

In a review I saw the top machine was the Festool but at 10x the cost of mine I guess it should be! :D
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 16 Feb 2020, 12:34

Woodster wrote:
In a review I saw the top machine was the Festool but at 10x the cost of mine I guess it should be! :D

Isn’t the Festool machine made by Fein, it’s certainly based on their design, being Festool they’ve based it around their system design so plug-it cord & also a detachable base that I believe fits certain Fein models.
As with all things Festool you’re paying a premium for the extra system design & not just the simple function of the tool, though whether the extra cost is worth it is down to the individual user
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Feb 2020, 12:48

Woodbloke wrote:Just watched UToob clip on that Fein; incredible bit of kit, but as you say Doug, expensive accessories. Cheaper on the Fleabay maybe? - Rob

In my book the multi tool is a "get you out of trouble" device. Not so much a bodging tool but not a precision craftsman tool either. Brilliant for nibbling away at skirtings cutting redundant pipes off at floor/wall level etc.
For a tradesman, it is a "must have on the van lifesaver".

But Rob knowing the sort of work you do, you possibly dont need the top of the range models and something like the bosch would do all you would ask of it and leave more spondulics to spend on nice timber etc

You would be welcome to have a play with my blue bosch one if you like.

Beware of doing too much delta sanding with them. The amount of power (heat) that it is possible to deliver into the sanding pad can melt the velcro hook pads and the abrasive falls off. Much better to stick with the purpose built delta sanders with lower power motors.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2020, 15:02

9fingers wrote:
In my book the multi tool is a "get you out of trouble" device. Not so much a bodging tool but not a precision craftsman tool either. Brilliant for nibbling away at skirtings cutting redundant pipes off at floor/wall level etc.
For a tradesman, it is a "must have on the van lifesaver".

But Rob knowing the sort of work you do, you possibly dont need the top of the range models and something like the bosch would do all you would ask of it and leave more spondulics to spend on nice timber etc

You would be welcome to have a play with my blue bosch one if you like.

Beware of doing too much delta sanding with them. The amount of power (heat) that it is possible to deliver into the sanding pad can melt the velcro hook pads and the abrasive falls off. Much better to stick with the purpose built delta sanders with lower power motors.

Bob

I tend to agree on the tool being a DIY lifesaver; probably essential if you've bought a place and are in the process of 'doing it up' but I finished with that pita several years ago, so now it's only the odd bit of paint brush wielding when SWIMBO nags me enough :lol:
Yes though Bob, next time we have a 'meet' I'd like to have a little play with your Bosch and see what it can do - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery