It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:42

Fire!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Fire!

Postby RogerS » 25 Mar 2020, 22:30

As the local recycling place is shut until further notice, I decided to burn some of the accumulating cardboard etc. Only a very small fire. And this is not going where you think it is :D

Went in the house to check a few things, came back outside and saw some smoke drifting over the adjacent field. Kind of thought ...mmmm...surprised it's still generating that much smoke. Thought nothing of it. Back inside. Back out again a few minutes later to see the field adjacent to us well ablaze. Big time. I thought 'Ooops' :oops:

Did my conscientious citizen bit and for the second time in my life dialled 999 and asked for Fire. Grabbed a shovel to try and blat out as much as I could and save the trees on the drive. I see another figure through the smoke. The figure disappears. Wonder if it was the neighbouring farmer and he had decided it wasn't worth trying to fight. Keep on blatting away. All the while, thinking 'Oh s**t oh s**t...did I really cause this ? But I can't have. It's too big too quickly."

Then through the gloom, said farmer appeared. He'd started it deliberately. We had words. Suggested that maybe he might like to alert his neighbours next time.

25 minutes later ...yup..note to self...do not let house catch fire....the fire engine arrives. "Sorry lads...false alarm. He did it". Details exchanged. Wonder if he gets a bill. T*wat.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Fire!

Postby Mike G » 25 Mar 2020, 23:58

Blimey! Scary.......

Better now than at harvest time, though, when everything is dry and dusty.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Mar 2020, 00:18

What was it - heather, gorse?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Mar 2020, 05:27

Rod wrote:What was it - heather, gorse?

Rod

Neither. Just long very dry grass.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 26 Mar 2020, 10:28

I thought farmers weren’t supposed to do this anymore :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Mar 2020, 10:38

Doug wrote:I thought farmers weren’t supposed to do this anymore :eusa-think:

So did I or was that fields of stubble ? I do know that they do controlled burning of heather and gorse - hence Rod's question. But this farmer is like a lot of others and does as he pleases.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Mar 2020, 10:46

Burning of stubble is banned. Has to be ploughed in now.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 30 Mar 2020, 13:29

High winds a few weeks ago brought down the ivy covering the wall of our neighbours barn. 5m high by about 6m wide "slab" of ivy with trunks up to around 10cm thick. You can not imagine how much it all weighed.
I had cut it up with a chainsaw a week or so ago, but was left with this mountain of rubbish - around 3-4 m3, so.... decided to burn it.
Once we got a good fire going it seemed to burn quite well but with quite a lot of smoke. So much in fact that we had a visit from the Gendarmes : neighbours vanished in the smoke, traffic disrupted on the local main road etc. I had no idea it was making that much. Gendarmes were sympathetic, asked that we stop feeding it to let it burn out as fast as possible. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fortunately most of it was already burned, just one big trailer load left for when the déchetterie reopens.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat