It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:30

COVID Calm...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

COVID Calm...

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Mar 2020, 14:56

This is the weirdest situation it really is.

Though I’m clearly concerned with what’s going on in the world right now and we are completely socially distancing (save for walking the dogs in the local woods and the odd late night trip to the shop for essentials nobody has left the Trimble Towers grounds) I am finding this whole thing incredibly calming and mind cleansing!

That might sound odd but what I mean is that we lead stupidly busy (too much so sometimes) lives with work in the week, evening ‘clubs’ Mon-Wed, football coaching and playing occupies my Sat and most Sun mornings from Sept-May meaning things like my workshop fit out have to fit into whatever evenings I have where I’m not knackered or any spare moments at weekend that I’m not spending with my kids, which is obviously incredibly important.

I’m finding that even 3 days in I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders! I’m not worrying about having to be up at a certain time to get Barney/Tilly to their respective football matches before everyone else so we can get set up, not ‘wasting’ a couple of hours having beers with the lads after the matches, not having to think about who we’re meeting, where, at what time in the afternoon/evening, the world has stopped!

So far this weekend our world has consisted of playing netball (as a family) in the garden to practice with my daughter, laying more flooring downstairs, generally larking around, dancing like fools in the kitchen, reading together and today sitting (me working) outside in the sunshine and generally relaxing.

I need to remember this and after all this is over, try and ensure that I slow things down a little bit and ‘smell the roses’ a bit more often.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: COVID Calm...

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Mar 2020, 15:21

TrimTheKing wrote:This is the weirdest situation it really is.

Though I’m clearly concerned with what’s going on in the world right now and we are completely socially distancing (save for walking the dogs in the local woods and the odd late night trip to the shop for essentials nobody has left the Trimble Towers grounds) I am finding this whole thing incredibly calming and mind cleansing!

That might sound odd but what I mean is that we lead stupidly busy (too much so sometimes) lives with work in the week, evening ‘clubs’ Mon-Wed, football coaching and playing occupies my Sat and most Sun mornings from Sept-May meaning things like my workshop fit out have to fit into whatever evenings I have where I’m not knackered or any spare moments at weekend that I’m not spending with my kids, which is obviously incredibly important.

I’m finding that even 3 days in I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders! I’m not worrying about having to be up at a certain time to get Barney/Tilly to their respective football matches before everyone else so we can get set up, not ‘wasting’ a couple of hours having beers with the lads after the matches, not having to think about who we’re meeting, where, at what time in the afternoon/evening, the world has stopped!

So far this weekend our world has consisted of playing netball (as a family) in the garden to practice with my daughter, laying more flooring downstairs, generally larking around, dancing like fools in the kitchen, reading together and today sitting (me working) outside in the sunshine and generally relaxing.

I need to remember this and after all this is over, try and ensure that I slow things down a little bit and ‘smell the roses’ a bit more often.

:text-bravo: :text-goodpost:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 22 Mar 2020, 15:32

Good for you Mark. I bet also that you are truly grateful that you, like us, have the space to enjoy yourself and are not stuck in a apartment, like so many here.
Talk here of the confinement being extended by another 15 days.....
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Mar 2020, 15:34

Absolutely Andy, it’s very present in my mind, and we talked to the kids about just that the other day, how lucky they/we are to have the space we have to be able to do that and not be locked indoors in a city!

Thankful doesn’t do it justice.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby fiveeyes » 22 Mar 2020, 17:32

Heartily agree. Re-enforces why I do NOT, live in the city.
I do hope that all of you are well.

PS...would like to see the history books in a 100 yrs.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 22 Mar 2020, 17:54

Very early days but I’m quite happy at the moment with what I’m doing indoors or in the shed. As long as I can order in any stuff I may need I’ll be happy.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 23 Mar 2020, 09:26

Nothing’s changed here apart from the weather which is handy as I’ve a few bits I needed to stain so got them outside yesterday & coated them in the glorious sunshine.

IMG_20200322_123017769_HDR.jpg
(324.43 KiB)

The last two weeks I was doing a built in shower room for a retired couple who were happy for me to carry on.

IMG_20200320_131749613.jpg
(304.14 KiB)

IMG_20200320_131719440.jpg
(238.84 KiB)

I was a little surprised the quite elderly couple I start some wardrobes for on Wednesday still want me to go, I explained I was quite happy to postpone but they were insistent they wanted it doing.

Today & tomorrow I’m in the shop building frames & doors then after the wardrobes I mentioned I’ve a few outside jobs & some work on an empty bungalow so hopefully I’ll be able to keep working, particularly as the governments offer of £98 sick pay a week wouldn’t keep the lads in Fortnite skins :shock:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 23 Mar 2020, 13:53

Doug wrote:
I was a little surprised the quite elderly couple I start some wardrobes for on Wednesday still want me to go, I explained I was quite happy to postpone but they were insistent they wanted it doing.

Spoke too soon, just had an email to cancel, the chap seems a bit miffed but his family have insisted he doesn’t have the work done. O well looks like I’ll be self isolating down the allotment the end of this week just hope the promised weather turns up.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Mar 2020, 17:26

Great looking bathroom Doug. I hope the enforced lay off does not do you too much harm financially.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 23 Mar 2020, 17:30

For some this lay off is like a holiday, for others it is work as usual while putting themselves at enormous risk and for others it must be really tough with no income and for the elderly and already infirm it must be very stressful.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 25 Mar 2020, 22:18

Andyp wrote:For some this lay off is like a holiday, for others it is work as usual while putting themselves at enormous risk and for others it must be really tough with no income and for the elderly and already infirm it must be very stressful.

Tell me about. Wickes website has been in meltdown all day !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Mar 2020, 00:27

We are not desperate for food yet but have failed to find any delivery slots in the next two weeks.
Cannot even log onto Sainsbury’s as “Elderly and disabled” - the phone number just drops.
Don’t meet the Govs standards either as I’m not undergoing Chemo.
I suppose I could kill the Wood pigeons that frequent my bird table.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Mar 2020, 18:10

I did a full normal weeks shopping yesterday at around 10am
Talking to the staff, first thing people were queuing outside before opening time but at 10 I could walk in.
Shelves very well stocked and only one item missing off my list chicken breasts but they had legs and thighs.
limited to 4 of any one item. everyone waiting 2m apart according to floor markings. Very civilised and organised as you would expect from a German supermarket! :lol:
When I left, there were a few more people about and the security staff were working a 1 out 1 in system with a queue of about 10 people.
Most of the trolleys were in use but the car park was about 1/3 full - just shows how many usually park there and shop elsewhere.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 26 Mar 2020, 18:52

Next week our post will only be delivered 3 times a week and only about 10% of post offices will remain open.

Not a problem for us but for many here in the village it is their local bank.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 26 Mar 2020, 18:59

I understand that most if not all banks make charge for debit cards but surely in this day and age most people have some form of plastic or use those strange cheque things?

I can't recall the last time I used cash. The coins in my pocket get bright any shiny and £1 coins only for shopping trolley release. Notes go into birthday cards and thats about all.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby DaveL » 26 Mar 2020, 19:22

Our local council will only take cash or cheque to pay for my allotment. Some of the smaller cafes I cycle to only take cash, as does a large fish and chip shop which has a restaurant attached. They can often be seen pointing out the nearest cash point to visitors to Sudbury!
But the game butchers who come to the market now have a contact less card machine.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Doug » 26 Mar 2020, 22:34

Andyp wrote:Great looking bathroom Doug. I hope the enforced lay off does not do you too much harm financially.

Thanks Andy, we should be ok it’s the ones who fall through the new financial arrangements that I feel sorry for, if you’ve not been self employed for a year you’ll get nothing which will be hard for folks as in my experience that was the tightest year financially.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 27 Mar 2020, 09:47

Interactive virus map

https://www.bing.com/covid
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 27 Mar 2020, 10:23

Phil wrote:Interactive virus map

https://www.bing.com/covid

If you like your data in tabular form, try here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 27 Mar 2020, 13:57

Thanks Bob, nice one.

We are in day 1 of Lock-Down
Only places open are supermarket, chemist, filling stations, medical facilities.

My Nephrologist is only consulting via telephone for emergencies.
GP is there but also to be used only for emergencies.

We will try and remain sane .................... will mean lots of garage time

We will also keep our sense of humour ...............

Meerkat.jpg
(23.47 KiB)

Translated "Where the F- is everybody?"
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Halo Jones » 27 Mar 2020, 19:07

We have also enjoyed being spared the usual running about (kids extra-curricular timetable is 7 days a week), and I haven't had to run our Cubs pack. I have enjoyed home teaching the kids and they have been really creative. Our school is relatively good but the head is a frustrated artist so even the STEM subjects have been rebranded STEAM. To combat this I have been learning Python coding with the kids and doing a bit with the Lego EVOS system - very good fun! I have also managed to do a bit of woodworking and made a few cupboards for the kitchen.

Only downside is my wife is chair of the village community shop and they have been flat-out doing their bit to keep all those in need with sufficient food but it means she has been stupidly busy. Not to worry - the fridge is still relatively full and tomorrow is board-game Saturday!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat