It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:21

Record Power CL4

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Record Power CL4

Postby Woodster » 31 May 2020, 16:58

This variable speed lathe uses an inverter so I’m wondering why it doesn’t have forward and reverse functions like most other inverter drive lathes. Any ideas? I’m not interested in buying one, I have an Axminster lathe but just wondered.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Record Power CL4

Postby 9fingers » 31 May 2020, 19:57

It can be a problem on a simple screw threaded chuck on engineering lathes where the chuck can unwind itself. I'm not a wood spinner but I could imagine the intermittent cuts in reverse could cause a similar issue?
Having used and programmed many different inverters over the years I've not found one that would not reverse but there is usually a specific command to prevent reversal for such eventualities.

I don't know which make of inverter Record Power use but you can sure it will be a standard commercial one under the hood even if it is not packaged.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodster » 31 May 2020, 21:38

Most if not all of the better wood turning lathes have reverse Bob. It’s very useful to be able to sand items in both directions. I’ve not seen a modern WT chuck that didn’t have retaining screws but perhaps some of the older ones don’t have them.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 31 May 2020, 22:00

Woodster wrote:Most if not all of the better wood turning lathes have reverse Bob. It’s very useful to be able to sand items in both directions. I’ve not seen a modern WT chuck that didn’t have retaining screws but perhaps some of the older ones don’t have them.

Well I don't know then if there is no technical reason maybe it is a marketing thing with the next model up offering reverse for more money but minimal extra manufacturing cost.

I have a similar thing with my car. The next model up offers automatic reading of roadside speed limit signs feeding into the cruise control.
Mine has a manually set max speed warning, it has the forward facing camera needed to read the signs and the sat nav put the speed limits up on the map but with no link to the warning. The only thing missing is to enable the sign reading and glue the results into the sat nav and the cruise control. All the hardware is there so it seems just a software flash would make it into the next model up with no doubt a much increased price.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 01 Jun 2020, 06:52

Woodster wrote:Most if not all of the better wood turning lathes have reverse Bob. It’s very useful to be able to sand items in both directions. I’ve not seen a modern WT chuck that didn’t have retaining screws but perhaps some of the older ones don’t have them.

What is the advantage in being able to sand in both directions? On a flat piece of wood I can understand the grain going in different directions. When the wood is spinning there will always be a point where the grains against the spin no matter which way it turns.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 01 Jun 2020, 10:40

There are two main types of turning, faceplate and spindle. Obviously the grain runs in different directions. Some turners have noticed an improvement in the surface finish sanding in both directions or just in reverse, normally for faceplate work. Others just find sanding easier with the lathe running in reverse. It’s been accepted though that many turners require this feature so lathe manufacturer’s have provided it for quite a few years now, at least on the better machines. It costs so little extra to add the feature, probably just the cost of the switch that they may as well.

Edit: Just one turners view. “I will then run the lathe in reverse and sand with 240 and 400 grit discs. Reverse turning reduces the chance of sanding marks being visible on the final piece”.

https://jonathanleech.co.uk/blog/tips-o ... ng-a-bowl/
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 Jun 2020, 11:35

Thanks for that. After posting I thought I'd better google reverse turning and I read many similar comments from far more experienced turners than I will ever be but I just don't get it.

I'd like to know why
Reverse turning reduces the chance of sanding marks being visible on the final piece

Will there not always be grain in a part of the bowl that is going against the spin whether or not the lathe is in reverse?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 01 Jun 2020, 12:45

Sorry Andy, I was joking with you. This is the real reason:

https://youtu.be/IYvcHS2XPU0

Sometimes you just seem to get a better finish running in one particular direction, I don’t know why.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 01 Jun 2020, 15:29

Axminster sell two versions of some of their chucks, longer collars with locking screws for use in the reverse direction.
I actually have both! I bought the locking version with the lathe and then picked up the short collar version used on eBay, I find it useful to have two chucks. Sometimes part way through a job, another quick turn is required, not having to remove the current work from the chuck is a bonus.
I have found using reverse useful when turning a bowl if the grain is twisty. Cutting in the opposite direction can sometimes give a cleaner finish.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 01 Jun 2020, 16:02

I will admit that there always seem to be a spot, usually on the inside of a bowl, that requires more attention due to grain direction. Maybe sanding in reverse would help. Knowing my track record with all things electrical I can’t imagine wiring a reversing switch to my Record 305 would be that easy.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking