It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:39

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Jun 2020, 11:30

RogerS wrote::text-bravo: :text-goodpost:

Thanks, Steve...a voice of sanity in these troubled times.

...and from me. Excellent! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2020, 12:24

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote::text-bravo: :text-goodpost:

Thanks, Steve...a voice of sanity in these troubled times.

...and from me. Excellent! - Rob

:text-+1:
If only I could be so eloquent
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 19 Jun 2020, 17:36

I've stopped listening to the news regarding Covid as it becomes more and more apparent every day that our Government hasn't got a clue what they are doing. It would probably be exactly the same with any other party in charge and simply highlights why our politicos are Not Fit For Purpose - being nearly all career politicians. If you compare and contrast us with Germany - Angela - a scientist, her Chief of Staff - a doctor, small wonder headless chickens and p-ups in breweries spring to mind.

The latest debacle is the pigs ear known as Track and Trace. Having spent many years in IT including managing some key Govt systems I do perhaps know just a little bit more than the man in the street. Hapless and Hopeless (Hancock and Harding) really are struggling with this as is PHE who can't even get the basic legalities right such as completing the mandatory Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA), a legal requirement to risk assess the information that’s being collected before they start. Harding who was the CEO at the time Talk Talk got hacked and so eloquently proved her total lack of understanding of the basic concepts of security and technology when being interviewed at the time shouldn't be left in charge of a Sinclair Pocket calculator let alone this key app.

So we've decided it's down to us, assume everyone else is infected and minimise going out.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2020, 14:13

Well, if today is anything to go by, the 'new' normal is the 'old' normal. Needed to send a letter Special Delivery so popped down to the local (very small) town. Every shop open including hairdressers. Groups sitting on benches together, chilling out in the sunshine. 2m ? Dream on 1m? Dream on even further. Not an attempt at any form of social distancing. Not a mask in sight. Covid doesn't exist. Never did. It was a conspiracy. Simply bloody stupid.

Sing along now :

We're riding along on the crest of a (second) wave,
and the sun is in the sky.
All of our eyes on the distant horizon,
Look out for those who'll die.
We'll do the WAILING !
When all the rest around are failing,
We're riding along on the crest of a (second) wave,
And the world was ours.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jun 2020, 15:16

Or it never did exist...

:eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jun 2020, 15:55

TrimTheKing wrote:Or it never did exist...

:eusa-whistle:

Probably another conspiracy :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jun 2020, 16:12

Wait for the BBC docusoap to be aired then we will know the truth :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jun 2020, 00:46

The ‘truth’ Bob. :D
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 25 Jun 2020, 18:23

I don't want to be the voice of doom, but nothing has actually changed the virus is still out there.
This description of track and trace seems quite accurate.

Imagetrack and trace by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby RogerS » 13 Jul 2020, 07:18

And if we were still at our old place, the title of this thread would really have been apposite. And scary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... r-53381802

I know exactly where this farm is. In direct line of sight from our old place :o Scary thing is that the pickers would be down in the village at a weekend waiting for the bus to take them to Ledbury, Hereford, Malvern or Worcester.

A S Green.png
(1.99 MiB)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 13 Jul 2020, 19:55

Roger I hope you and Mrs R stay well.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Rod » 23 Jul 2020, 15:01

My builder has told me it’s getting very difficult to source most types of building materials- timber, plaster goods etc. etc.
The knock on effects of Covid shut downs

Thankfully for me, my building works are virtually complete.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 23 Jul 2020, 15:15

We are back onto no booze at all.

Restaurants can serve food - no booze. That is where they make their money, on the booze.

Curfew 9PM to 4AM

BUT!

Minibus taxis can load to maximum - anthing between 14 & 20 :evil:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2020, 15:32

Phil wrote:We are back onto no booze at all.

Restaurants can serve food - no booze. That is where they make their money, on the booze.

Curfew 9PM to 4AM

Big, huge time mistake IMO. It was called Prohibition in the USA and the proceeds from illicit, bootleg booze funded the rise of organised crime, which is still widespread to this day. The 'murricans found out the hard way; you can't keep people away from alcohol. If it can't be consumed legally then the only way is illegally - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2020, 16:21

Woodbloke wrote:

Curfew 9PM to 4AM

Big, huge time mistake IMO. It was called Prohibition in the USA and the proceeds from illicit, bootleg booze funded the rise of organised crime, which is still widespread to this day. The 'murricans found out the hard way; you can't keep people away from alcohol. If it can't be consumed legally then the only way is illegally - Rob

Is your daughter still living in Carlisle, Rob. I hope not as they've got a large spike(s). I'm certainly not driving there.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 23 Jul 2020, 18:33

Woodbloke wrote:

Curfew 9PM to 4AM

Huge black market for cigs and booze at exorbitant prices.
The so-called fiscus are loosing billions in excise.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2020, 22:21

RogerS wrote:
Is your daughter still living in Carlisle, Rob. I hope not as they've got a large spike(s). I'm certainly not driving there.

Yep, we saw her last weekend and took up her Fossil Cabinet with which she was well chuffed:

IMG_4708.jpg
(157.2 KiB)

Back in March/April time, a whole load of staff in her office (around 12) went down simultaneously with identical symptoms of what she now assumes was the lurgi (dry cough etc etc) She's fine now but it took her and her colleagues around three or so weeks to fully recover. We didn't go anywhere except to JS in the city centre to get a few bottles of beer. She bought me the Laphroaig as a way of saying 'thanks' for making her cabinet.....I've just got it out the cupboard to check the spelling :eusa-whistle: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Jul 2020, 17:44

Well that was a waste of time and money... :evil:

Been feeling a bit under the weather since Tuesday night when Montezuma visited me with a vengeance all night. Lost all appetite. Very tired. After walking upstairs feel like sitting down. No energy. Mildly uncomfortable throat. No fever. O2 levels fine.

Now I subscribe to the Covid Zoe app that someone here recommended ? Rod ? MJ? And that suggested I might like to book a test. Now I have a really severe gag reflex. When I had my endoscopy they almost had to hold me down, it's that bad I looked at the video showing you how to do the home test. Roll i around your tonsils 5x :o Not a snowball of me doing that to myself so that ruled out a Home Test.

I could book a mobile test and roll up in the car. I'd read a web age somewhere saying that up to four could come, roll down the window etc and get swabbed. Result. Booked it up...the webpage said either do it yourself (no) or we'll have someone do it for you. Yes please.

So I got their in 40 minutes. Entered. "Here's your kit, Sir". 'scuse me?'..."Oh no, we don't do it for you" "S what was the effing point me wasting time and money in petrol? Might just as well have waited for a home kit.

Well sod 'em. I might have it. I might not. We'll never know. SWMBO would have caught it by now, I reckon, if I did. Maybe it's just man-flu.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 25 Jul 2020, 18:32

Roger, take care and stay safe!

The retirement estate where we live, about 290 souls, our 2nd case has now popped up. I am led to believe that some of the other estates have up to maybe 10 and some passing on.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby woodhutt » 25 Jul 2020, 23:46

Can't your GP or local hospital arrange a nasal swab, Roger?. Better to know what you're dealing with (might just be a seasonal illness). At least you'll know then how to proceed. Isolation etc.
My 20 year old grandson recently presented with the danger signs (cough, high temp. etc.) They tested him and it turned out he just had a bad throat infection. (Phew!)
With the current paranoia, we tend to overlook the common illnesses.
Hope everything turns out OK for you and yours.
Pete
woodhutt
Seedling

Name: Pete

Postby MJ80 » 26 Jul 2020, 10:05

We went shopping to the local big town near us for the first time since the outbreak began. The response over here has been so different to the chaos I am seeing in the UK. The Germans got lots of things right from the chaos at the start. The manual contact tracing and containment - anyone who had contact with an infected person was put into self isolation with a really heavy fine enforced, drive through test centres were set up. GP's directed any potential infections directly to the test centre and then into self isolation whilst the results came back. Obviously the lock down and closing the schools. The reopening of business has been going OK as far as I can see, screens are up at counters, a facemask must be worn in shops and people are generally keeping the social distance. You need to take a trolley into a shop as a social barrier, simple but it keeps the message. There is the contact tracing app up and running now as well, which should help keep an overview on how things progress.
Anyway into the big town and the centre of town was busy, shops had one way systems going with entry and exit. You had to sanitize your hands when entering a shop, most places had a member of staff with a clicker keeping track of numbers in the shop. I know it is all slower and I am happy with that. Some here don't realise how lucky they are with the response and how the rate has been pushed down. The kids are looking at starting school full time after the holiday. Where there have been outbreaks and flare ups the districts have been placed into immediate lockdown again. My big worry is this is going to be a big calm before the next wave which is going to hit us soon, we are only at the beginning of this story.
Stay safe people.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 26 Jul 2020, 10:16

RogerS - please DO get yourself tested, if only so that you know whether this is the real lurgy or just a summer cold. Just knowing will make you feel better.

mj80 - interesting. I think in fairness, Boris has handled the lifting of lockdown better than going into it, which was clearly too late. You only have to look at what is going on in India, Brazil and USA to see that we are still in the early stages of this crisis. We may have been our own worst enemies in the early stages as when we watched the news of the lockdown in Wuhan, everyone here was saying that's the way to go, but you would never get away with that in the UK - and even if you could, it would unravel very quickly, and probably at the worst possible time. As it turned out, having had the fear of God put in them, the UK public has been only too happy to stay at home in the most part, and the problem will be getting some of them to come back out.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby RogerS » 26 Jul 2020, 11:39

RogerM wrote:RogerS - please DO get yourself tested, if only so that you know whether this is the real lurgy or just a summer cold. Just knowing will make you feel better.

mj80 - interesting. I think in fairness, Boris has handled the lifting of lockdown better than going into it, which was clearly too late. You only have to look at what is going on in India, Brazil and USA to see that we are still in the early stages of this crisis. We may have been our own worst enemies in the early stages as when we watched the news of the lockdown in Wuhan, everyone here was saying that's the way to go, but you would never get away with that in the UK - and even if you could, it would unravel very quickly, and probably at the worst possible time. As it turned out, having had the fear of God put in them, the UK public has been only too happy to stay at home in the most part, and the problem will be getting some of them to come back out.

Roger...there really is no point. I don't go out. The only person I can infect is my wife and if I really do have it then she would have picked it up by now. The only plus point I can see would be knowing that if I had it and that that gives me immunity then I don't need to worry about going out in the future.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Jul 2020, 11:48

RogerM wrote: I think in fairness, Boris has handled the lifting of lockdown better than going into it, which was clearly too late. You only have to look at what is going on in India, Brazil and USA to see that we are still in the early stages of this crisis. We may have been our own worst enemies in the early stages as when we watched the news of the lockdown in Wuhan, everyone here was saying that's the way to go, but you would never get away with that in the UK - and even if you could, it would unravel very quickly, and probably at the worst possible time. As it turned out, having had the fear of God put in them, the UK public has been only too happy to stay at home in the most part, and the problem will be getting some of them to come back out.

I think you're probably right Rog. For all the lamentable slowness with which HMG handled the early stages of the UK crisis, coming out of it appears to have been handled in more controlled and thoughtful way with the 'great British public' only too happy to stay at home. I think we wood manglers with a 'shop in the back garden can count ourselves extremely fortunate; it hasn't impacted on me in the slightest.
What is slightly worrying though is the situation that could possibly arise in the autumn/winter if there were to be a second wave of the lurgi; some sort of vaccine or other form of 'snake juice' to control it's impact would go a very long way to getting back to a semblance of normality - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Jul 2020, 12:47

Get tested and report to Zoe
Report any contacts you may have had - it all helps to control the pandemic.

I’ve been tested 5 times whilst in hospital and put into isolation as I’d been in a ward with someone tested positive.

I’m still classed as vulnerable so keep away from the builder etc. Nurses visit me twice a week but they have to be hands on.
We get a food delivery from Sainsbury’s once a week, Prescriptions delivered and our family help with other things.
The next time out is on August 5th when I’m having my haircut - the first time since lockdown.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat