It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:37

Table tops

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: Table tops

Postby RogerM » 29 Jul 2020, 23:16

Woodbloke wrote:
MY63 wrote: The last time this happened I had to buy a replacement pad (not cheap) It is a black and decker random orbit sander. Has anyone got a fix.

Here's a dead cheap fix. When the pad wears out, head for you local haberdashery store and buy a metre or two of 50mm wide Velcro strip which ought to set you back about £2. Then proceed at a leisurely pace round to your local shed and buy a tube of impact adhesive. Cut the Velcro to fit, stick the strips to the pad and trim to shape with a Stanley knife. If there are any holes that need to be made in the Velcro, I use a 10mm leather punch to make them. It's cheap and it works; I'm on the second pad for my little Festool sander - Rob

Sounds like a plan as cunning as a very cunning thing! I'll try that on my triangular sanding pad on my multitool. :text-bravo:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jul 2020, 06:09

RogerM wrote:
Sounds like a plan as cunning as a very cunning thing! I'll try that on my triangular sanding pad on my multitool. :text-bravo:

Thanks Rog; it's the hight of cunningness :lol: Seriously for a mo', I've found that the 'stickiness' of the pads fails after a fairly short time as the hooks tend to wear down fairly quickly. This is a cheap and nasty 'fix' that works well, especially if (as I do) you use the Abranet Mirka abrasive sheets.

If you've fallen far enough from sanity :lol: to find time to play on the lathe, you can also replace the surface on a Flexipad as the frictional heat generated makes them wear out incredibly quickly. I've got three of these things on the go at any one time - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 30 Jul 2020, 09:45

Thanks guys that sonds like a good plan, I think it is reassuring to know that this is not a fault with my sander more like a design issue.
Am I right in thinking all of the colour needs to come off before I can apply more stain.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby 9fingers » 30 Jul 2020, 10:01

MY63 wrote:Thanks guys that sonds like a good plan, I think it is reassuring to know that this is not a fault with my sander more like a design issue.
Am I right in thinking all of the colour needs to come off before I can apply more stain.

Not necessarily but you need to get it back to an even level of colour to reduce the risk of a blotchy result.
If these tops are veneered timber, mdf or ply then make absolutely sure you dont sand through the veneer!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Jul 2020, 10:50

Would a cabinet scraper get that surface down more evenly?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 30 Jul 2020, 11:41

Although I originally thought this was some sort of veneer when I sanded through the colour especially at the edges I found I could follow the grain over the edge as well as the joint lines.
I actually have some cabinet scrapers although I am not sure how my hands will stand up to hand scraping.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jul 2020, 11:55

9fingers wrote:If these tops are veneered timber, mdf or ply then make absolutely sure you dont sand through the veneer!

Bob

When I was working in the 'trade' years ago, I actually watched one of guys go through the burr walnut veneer on top of an über-spendy walnut commode. Boss distinctly unchuffed :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 31 Jul 2020, 21:32

I think I might be getting the hang of this now, I am now trying to put as little varnish as possible and speading it with the brush.
It was very hot today and the varnish was drying very quickly, I did manage to get three good coats with a light rub with 320 grit mesh with one of those clever little handles that attaches to my shop vac.

Image2020-07-29_09-46-37 by my0771, on Flickr

Image2020-07-31_09-23-26 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the end of day shot today I managed to get three projects in this picture table top garden planter just finished and an oak Captains chair not yet started.
Thanks for the help
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2020, 21:44

That will do nicely Michael

Coincidentally I've been using that varnish on a simple pine table I made yesterday.
I did not get into the workshop until 4pm but got two coats on with a gentle sand in between one before dinner and one after.
For basic jobs I'm converted to this stuff.
I think I will still use my (well Rod's really!) version of Sam Maloofs mixture for what I like to laughingly call fine furniture though.

Bob

This is the only photo I took of the frame in glue up

B294F5E3-9532-4DA8-B645-3F3C08B584F3.jpeg
(319.61 KiB)
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerM » 31 Jul 2020, 22:44

Nice job Michael. You'll get the rest done in no time now that you have a "modus operandi".
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Aug 2020, 09:03

Proper job, Michael, as they say down 'ere!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 13 Aug 2020, 17:58

The top looks good Michael.

If you can get hold of a spray gun you can get more even coats on, with an 800grit between coats.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to Finishing