It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:49

Electric stapler

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Electric stapler

Postby MY63 » 12 Aug 2020, 11:21

I am currently teaching myself about upholstery and need an electric stapler, I know air is supposed to be better but I dont have the space for a compressor.

I have been looking at this one. I have one of their older small nail guns undewr the Rapesc brand and it is OK but always seems to leave little marks on the wood.

I believe need 15 mm staples to hold the leather.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tacwise-duo- ... 230v/75336

If anyone can reccomend a better one I would appreciate it.

This is the project there are two of them.

Image2020-07-24_09-59-16 by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Electric stapler

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Aug 2020, 12:06

I use an Arrow T50P sprung loaded handraulic stapler which for the odd times I use it is fine. Unless you're going to do an awful lot of stapling, an electrical one seems a bit OTT; I also have a small electric nail gun which I guess I've used on only a few occasions in the 'shop, but as it was a freebee from GMC publications a few years ago I didn't say 'nae' :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Aug 2020, 13:21

Would be worth big FFing through episodes of the Repair Shop to see which one the young lady upholsterer used?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 12 Aug 2020, 15:29

Woodbloke wrote:I use an Arrow T50P sprung loaded handraulic stapler which for the odd times I use it is fine. Unless you're going to do an awful lot of stapling, an electrical one seems a bit OTT; I also have a small electric nail gun which I guess I've used on only a few occasions in the 'shop, but as it was a freebee from GMC publications a few years ago I didn't say 'nae' :D - Rob

Around a thousand staples per chair and my grip is not too good these days so I need something with power.
Malcolm I thought she used an air stapler I think it was blue but I will search iplayer.
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Electric stapler Or maybe not

Postby MY63 » 14 Aug 2020, 22:22

I spoke to a friend who used to do upholstery and knows his stuff, he tells me the electric ones will be a waste of money. He has a professional air stapler I can have FOC I just need to buy a compressor.
So your reccomendations would be appreciated I would prefer a quiet one.
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Electric stapler Or maybe not

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Aug 2020, 07:44

MY63 wrote:...need to buy a compressor.

I know nothing about compressors, but I seem to recollect that Ax have a range that are particularly quiet; others far more knowledgable will be probably be able to give you 'chapter n'verse' - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Aug 2020, 07:52

My first compressor used a fridge compressor and a vacuum brake tank from a truck. That was very quiet and cost me nothing.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Aug 2020, 09:57

These might help, Michael.

[youtube]Wda1U4wUxsc[/youtube]

[youtube]Fekkm9pa0PU[/youtube]

[youtube]g-Ypz6RvKOk[/youtube]
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Re: Electric stapler Compressor time

Postby MY63 » 15 Aug 2020, 11:23

Woodbloke wrote:
MY63 wrote:...need to buy a compressor.

I know nothing about compressors, but I seem to recollect that Ax have a range that are particularly quiet; others far more knowledgable will be probably be able to give you 'chapter n'verse' - Rob

Thanks, Axminster dont appear to have stock of anything under £500 and the Swan compressors they do sell seem to be expensive copies of the Ozario/ Komatsui which both look very similar to the Hyundai model.

Thanks Bob I was looking for a more off the shelf Model :)

Malcolm thanks that is exactly the sort of information I need. simple and direct buy this or dont buy this.

This is the one I am considering

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/air ... ompressor/

It has two out puts and regulators more than I will need but if I am going to buy one.
Of course it is currently out of stock but the website has a "new " label on it so I will see if they come back.

The first video had a rather interesting extension on the back of workshop which might resolve some of my worries about space for the compressor.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Fidget » 15 Aug 2020, 12:10

I was lucky enough to find one of these

https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/product/clarke-shhh-air-30-9-quiet-run-compressor/

on Gumtree the other day for £100.

It is tiny and as quiet as Bob's fridge and powers my brad nailer quite happily, I don't do any spraying so can't comment on that aspect

A bit more expensive but if you're saving space it's worth it
Not as good as I want to be!
Fidget
Seedling

Name: Simon H

Postby DaveL » 15 Aug 2020, 12:11

This may not be up to driving a staple gun, I picked it up years ago for our son to use with his airbrush, he has since upgraded and it's been neglected in the shed ever since.
If it's of use I will box it up and send it to you.ImageImage
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 15 Aug 2020, 12:47

One thing to be careful of is the hystersis in the pressure switch. If it is too wide, then the nailer might not drive in the staples fully as the tank pressure approaches the switch on point.
I get this problem with my air nailer but it might be less severe for a stapler.
The trick will be to set the pressure regulator to an adequate pressure for the stapler to drive staples consistently and then make sure the switch turn on point can be set HIGHER than that regulator setting. Then you will have no problems.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 15 Aug 2020, 13:31

Thanks Fidget I did think about the GumTree option following my previous good luck with the bandsaw, scroll saw and most recently the hot foil printer all at fantastic prices, but they took me months to find and I am a little short on time.

DaveL that is very kind of you but I need something with a little more power to continually fire the staples.

I have found the model I am interested in which has positive reviews in stock at a Hyundai dealer so I may just buy it.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 16 Aug 2020, 11:37

As ever I started looking for an electric stapler and go off in a completly different direction.
Air power it is I am planning on ordering the Hyundai HY7524 spec:
24 litre tank capacity provides an air displacement of 5.2CFM/ 150 litres per minute and a maximum pressure of 100psi / 7bar.

I have found a supplier who has one and they answered my email within 30 mins which is good in my book all being well it will be here mid week.

My wife and I went shopping this morning to Aldi I only went for the work shorts which I like, She wanted to go to Lidl for fruit I was not too happy but had to drive, When I went in I saw this.

Image2020-08-16_11-25-44 by my0771, on Flickr

I bought it as it was only £9.99 I do have the offer of a free professional one from a friend but just in case it seemed too good to miss. I have found the parkside tools I have bought in the past have been fairly reliable.
As it also fires small nails it will also work for small box making as well.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Aug 2020, 12:06

Ha!

Michael, they saw you coming! :D

They see me coming as well, when I have to go there, too!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 16 Aug 2020, 13:50

I've been very happy with the vfm of Parkside tools. If you do have a problem there is a 3 yr warranty on most things and they provide you with a support address. Do remember to keep your receipt safely (stapled inside the manual maybe)

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 16 Aug 2020, 17:16

Thanks Malcolm it was reduced I only paid £10 I was going to say if it lasts a year I would be happy but as Bob pointed out it is going to last 3 years. If the one I am getting for free is any good it may never get used although I use their mini multitools for sanding little pen stands, I keep buying a spare one thinking one is going to die any minute I have three on the go now two with different sized sanding discs and one for polishing.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Aug 2020, 17:51

:lol:

That's greedy, three on the go!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 17 Aug 2020, 18:18

I have ordered the compressor today, Now call me old fashioned but I had an expectation that when buying the machine it would work withthe tools designed to work with it.
What I am trying to say is that compressors dont come with a hose well at least the Hyundai ones dont.
Good news according to Hyundai is they do a starter kit for £29.99 that has a hose in it but they are out of stock.
So I ask do you have a hose on its own his reply was "we stopped doing individual hoses when we started selling the kits"
I now need a euro connector hose or as the compressor has two outputs I might get two.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 18 Aug 2020, 18:14

Ok the compressor arrived today unfortunately the hoses dont arrive until tomorrow.
I noticed that the box had been opened and the plastic bag containing the accessories had been opened.
As usual with my luck this is the air filter.

Image2020-08-18_05-31-55 by my0771, on Flickr

Looking a little further I found this.

Image2020-08-18_05-32-07 by my0771, on Flickr

Lots of emails back and forward total PIA eventually a manager decided to supply a new one.

On another note scaffolding goes up tomorrow for the new roof.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Aug 2020, 18:25

It's all happening up your way!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 25 Aug 2020, 22:31

I now have a compressor without dents and also hoses that connect thanks to the guys at my local Axminster.
So the free stapler has now cost around £150 and would you believe Aldi have a battery nailer stapler for £85 I might buy one any way.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 25 Aug 2020, 23:59

The compressor is a good buy, it will useful for lots of other things beside the nail gun.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 27 Aug 2020, 22:14

Michael,
I've been quite attracted by the idea of a quiet compressor to have in my workshop and leave the noisy beast in the garage for car related jobs. The two locations are some 70m apart and requires the compressor to dragged across the lawn and the wheels dig in etc.
Although the Hyundai you bought is now out of stock, I'm curious why you chose that model over the aparently almost identical Katsu/Orazio 241184 which is considerably cheaper (£110 delivered)

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 28 Aug 2020, 11:40

9fingers wrote:Michael,
I've been quite attracted by the idea of a quiet compressor to have in my workshop and leave the noisy beast in the garage for car related jobs. The two locations are some 70m apart and requires the compressor to dragged across the lawn and the wheels dig in etc.
Although the Hyundai you bought is now out of stock, I'm curious why you chose that model over the aparently almost identical Katsu/Orazio 241184 which is considerably cheaper (£110 delivered)

Bob

Hi Bob
I thought the Hyuandai 5508 was the equalivalent to that model which was £104.The one you mentioned actually looks identical to mine, maybe it is a re badged Hyundai or vice versa.
Last edited by MY63 on 28 Aug 2020, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
MY63
Old Oak

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery