It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:58

ToolStation

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

ToolStation

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2021, 13:20

Good service from ToolStation.

I have been entrusted with a small project by our white goods operator requiring some fasteners. Not having sufficient stock of the required item and being in lockdown I decided to look online for a suitable supplier. I normally use ScrewFix if I can as there is a branch about a mile away. I don’t really like going there though as they only have about 5 parking spaces, normally filled with vans. I added items to my online shopping trolley then proceeded to checkout. £5 delivery unless you spend £50, no thanks. I then did a search for the items required (Spax Wirox screws) elsewhere and found Toolstation sold them. The total was a bit under £20 but unlike ScrewFix their minimum order for free delivery was only £25 and there were a few other items I could do with anyway that took the total over the threshold. Items duly order late yesterday afternoon arrived this morning by Royal Mail. I will obviously be using ToolStation a lot more in the future.

I should add that some areas seem to be regarding “Click & Collect” as non essential, unless it’s foodstuffs.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: ToolStation

Postby Doug » 14 Jan 2021, 13:54

I prefer toolstation to screwfix, they generally sell the same brands but usually cheaper plus we have two stores 2 miles apart so if one doesn’t have something the other usually does.
If they are both out of stock Screwfix are opposite the closer TS store.

Hardware store are classed as essential aren’t they, certainly non of the shops I use have closed down this lockdown.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug71 » 14 Jan 2021, 16:30

A good example is the hook and band type gate hinges, Toolstation and Screwfix look a similar price until you realise the price at Screwfix is for a single hinge but Toolstation is for a pair :shock:

Also I find it strange that my local Screwfix generally only seems to keep one of these hinges in stock in each size, you would think most gates need 2? :eusa-think:
Doug71
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jan 2021, 16:43

Founded by the family who founded Screwfix (owned by Kingfisher who own B&Q). Toolstation flogged to Travis Perkins a while ago. They also own Wickes (which they have been trying to sell).

Be interesting to see a price comparison across the three outlets.
Last edited by AJB Temple on 14 Jan 2021, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Jan 2021, 16:49

the only gripe I have is that I can't get long stuff delivered. I need copper pipe to finish the central heating and tile edging for the bathroom, but I can't get it and I'm not willing to go in to store right now. also, see working from home thread, I haven't got the time to go.

otherwise, yes I tend to prefer toolstation over screwfist but often find myself back there when toolstation doesn't sell the one thing on the list that screwfist does (plinth heater being a good example)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AndyT » 14 Jan 2021, 18:20

As a diy customer, I've had similar experiences with both, all positive.
I've had staff open up boxed taps to check the exact size of the fittings for me, I've had no quibble returns on items where I bought the wrong size. That sort of thing, at several branches of both chains.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby greeno » 14 Jan 2021, 19:09

AJB Temple wrote:Founded by the family who founded Screwfix (owned by Kingfisher who own B&Q). Toolstation flogged to Travis Perkins a while ago. They also own Wickes (which they have been trying to sell).

Be interesting to see a price comparison across the three outlets.

Toolstation is nearly always cheaper. Followed by screwfix. B&Q prices are often crazy and more expensive than screwfix for identical items.

This has been true at least for when I've costed stuff up and I'm talking consumables, not tools.

Toolstation delivery here is via parcel force so no hermes nonsense. It used to be 10£ for free delivery - pre covid.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby the bear » 14 Jan 2021, 19:27

Toolstation was only £10 spend for free delivery until recently, if like me you’ve taken advantage of that a lot the now 25 feels a bit painful. It was the main reason I use toolstation over screwfix

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2021, 20:12

the bear wrote:Toolstation was only £10 spend for free delivery until recently, if like me you’ve taken advantage of that a lot the now 25 feels a bit painful. It was the main reason I use toolstation over screwfix

Mark

Yes that’s a shame. Still better than the £50 minimum spend from Screwfix though. Axminster tools is £45.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jan 2021, 01:50

novocaine wrote:the only gripe I have is that I can't get long stuff delivered. I need copper pipe to finish the central heating and tile edging for the bathroom, but I can't get it and I'm not willing to go in to store right now. also, see working from home thread, I haven't got the time to go.

otherwise, yes I tend to prefer toolstation over screwfist but often find myself back there when toolstation doesn't sell the one thing on the list that screwfist does (plinth heater being a good example)

15 or 22mm?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dovetaildave » 21 Jan 2021, 20:02

Toolstation for butterfly hinges everytime !
Same quality (although slightly thinner on the leavs)as Screwfix and other suppliers, far cheaper.

Regards,
Dave
Dovetaildave
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking