It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:47

Resaw saw recommendation

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Resaw saw recommendation

Postby ScaredyCat » 04 Apr 2021, 18:54

In an almost Dirk Gently kind of way, today I went through the process of resawing 5 1/2" inch oak and 4 1/2 inch purple heart on my Draper CTS200 table saw. The blade can't make a complete cut, even cutting from both sides. Since don't have the luxury of a bandsaw
I'm looking for a recommendation for a hand saw. Just to be clear i've started the resaw process on the table saw already so only need to complete the cuts.

I do own a rather nice frame saw from one of the UKWS secret Santas. It's a prized possession but is it appropriate for this kind of work?
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Re: Resaw saw recommendation

Postby AndyT » 04 Apr 2021, 20:35

Frame saws definitely can be used for ripping, and would be in many mainland European countries.
For instance, Dieter Schmid sell rip blades for frame saws (and are shipping to the UK again)

https://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.html

In my own limited experience of this, I found that for deep cuts a big, heavy saw of 3 - 4 tpi was good, and can't help wondering if a frame saw would be a bit light. But thousands of years of tradition says I'm wrong!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Apr 2021, 22:45

ScaredyCat wrote:In an almost Dirk Gently kind of way, today I went through the process of resawing 5 1/2" inch oak and 4 1/2 inch purple heart on my Draper CTS200 table saw. The blade can't make a complete cut, even cutting from both sides. Since don't have the luxury of a bandsaw
I'm looking for a recommendation for a hand saw. Just to be clear i've started the resaw process on the table saw already so only need to complete the cuts.

It's been said many times, but if you were to kick that tablesaur into touch and get a half respectable bandsaw instead, you wouldn't have any issues with re-sawing deep stock and you'd probably be able to go much deeper than a measly 5.5"...and a bandsaw is not a luxury :D

If you're after a recommendation for a handsaw to finish the job, a 3 or 4 tpi Disston rip is pretty hard to beat - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 04 Apr 2021, 22:52

Oh that's much coarser than I expected.

Any saw recommendations, I had a look at this site's namesake and only found >£100 ones. I found some spear & jackson ones but they were all cross cut.

Given my saw kerf on the table saw was 2.4mm can I just grab a screwfix special ?
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Postby ScaredyCat » 04 Apr 2021, 22:58

Woodbloke wrote:It's been said many times, but if you were to kick that tablesaur into touch and get a half respectable bandsaw instead, you wouldn't have any issues with re-sawing deep stock and you'd probably be able to go much deeper than a measly 5.5"...and a bandsaw is not a luxury :D

I'd love to get a bandsaw but I don't have a workshop (or garage), so, like the table saw I'd have to drag it out of the house and into the garden. That's a lot easier with something with a low centre of gravity. If I start do do more ripping, with bigger lumps of wood then I'll have a look at other options, but this, soft of works.

I'll happily do a bit of manual labour - although I might feel differently after I've completed this task :D
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Postby spb » 04 Apr 2021, 22:59

Given a deep tablesaw kerf on both sides, a cheap hardpoint should finish the job without issue, but might take longer than a dedicated rip saw. I've used the orange Irwin one, but Mike G recommends the Barracuda version instead. Best price I've seen for that was Toolstation, if you have one nearby, but otherwise your local builders' merchant.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby sunnybob » 05 Apr 2021, 05:23

That saw is listed as having a 60 mm cut. That doubles up to 120 mm, which should have done your 100 mm purpleheart easy.
There should only be about 10 mm left in the middle of the oak.
If this is a one off job, dont spend out on a saw, just break it apart with a hammer and wedges and then plane it smooth.
I had to do this to a piece of walnut recently, and the damaged part cleaned up easily without a trace with only a 1mm loss of width.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 06 Apr 2021, 12:18

Yeah, I deliberately don't try to go all the way through on the cut as a precaution and I did the Purple heart first and forgot to raise the blade a bit for the oak.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Postby sunnybob » 06 Apr 2021, 15:59

I dont often use the table saw to rip wood taller than the blade, but I have lately been cutting quite a few 200 mm wide oak planks into thinner pieces, I have found nothing to scare me about cutting all the way through on the second cut. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Apr 2021, 16:55

I also needed use of similar yesterday cutting through 100mm thick American Black Walnut....300mm + wide. My Festool TS55 would only go so far. Tried a Bahco tree surgeon type saw...maybe the blade was knackered but it was pretty useless. Then I tried a cheapie Irwin from Screwfix and it went through the remaining wood dead easily.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 06 Apr 2021, 17:35

I have tried a few different hard points and now I only buy Spear and Jackson 2nd fit which I think has 10 TPI but you could go mad and buy a first fit which has probably five or six TPI and will be more suitable for ripping. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Apr 2021, 18:15

RogerS wrote:I also needed use of similar yesterday cutting through 100mm thick American Black Walnut....300mm + wide. My Festool TS55 would only go so far. Tried a Bahco tree surgeon type saw...maybe the blade was knackered but it was pretty useless. Then I tried a cheapie Irwin from Screwfix and it went through the remaining wood dead easily.

The problem with doing those deepish cuts with a small circular saw is that the sawdust has nowhere to go and can build up very rapidly in the groove. I did this just once and the blade jammed causing a very, very nasty bit of kick back. A 'brown trouser' moment of mega proportions and I've never, ever done it again. You don't need me to tell you Rog that the blade should clear the underside of the timber by a tooth (min) and preferably more.
Proceed at your peril :D If you've got 100mm to chomp through, get out the 3tpi Disston rip, give a tickle with a file and saw it by hand, or at least into chunks that you can then get onto the bs table - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 06 Apr 2021, 18:23

Its all in the feed rate.
If youre pushing wood through thats taller than the blade, just relax the pushing force every few seconds and the blade teeth will clear themselves in a second.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Apr 2021, 06:13

sunnybob wrote:Its all in the feed rate.
If youre pushing wood through thats taller than the blade, just relax the pushing force every few seconds and the blade teeth will clear themselves in a second.

Fine until the first time the blade jams in the cut...and it will! Just make sure you have a clean pair of pants handy :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 07 Apr 2021, 12:06

Oh ye of little faith.
I have god on my side. :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Alasdair » 08 Apr 2021, 13:46

sunnybob wrote:Its all in the feed rate.

I'll second Sunnybob on this one, I remember standing with my dad at the old, line shaft and belt table saw, this thing was a scary beast with a 24" ripping blade installed. the only height adjustment on the blade was slipping a wedge under the table to lift it up. we were ripping 18" x 10" blocks of Opepe (Bilinga) into 18"x8" blocks which meant passing these blocks over the scary monster blade flipping them and passing them over again. Feed rate was crucial as that saw could throw those heavy blocks with a touch of force.
:lol: :lol:
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery