It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:59

Super Glue

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Super Glue

Postby Woodster » 07 Apr 2021, 10:15

It seems Super Glue is a good choice for some small wood working projects. Especially the rubberised gel types. The problem is cost and suitable sizes. I tried out some Loctite stuff and it works pretty well but only available in silly little bottles. I’m tempted to get either some thick Everbuild 50g or maybe some Mitre Bond that comes with spray activator. Anyone have any views on these? I’m making a German smoker and whilst I can use almost any adhesive on most of it I really need a quick setting one for joining and attaching the arms.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Super Glue

Postby RogerS » 07 Apr 2021, 10:21

I use Mitre Bond a lot especially if I want to, say, use a regular glue like Titebond (purely because of area to be covered) but I don't really want to wait until it's cured. I'll use MB to keep the joint together while the Titebond goes off yet still be able to 'gently' do stuff with the wood.

I've never used the Everbuild equivalent but have found other stuff in their range to be very good. I'd probably go on price TBH.

The only downside with MB is the cap of the actual adhesive bottle can get bunged up if you're not careful and difficult to undo.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 07 Apr 2021, 10:23

The best stuff I've found is the No-Nonsense Mitre Bond, which comes in a far more comfortable to use dropper pot than the small round type which are difficult to squeeze, even with strong hands.

The joint is fairly strong, but quite fragile and can quite easily break with force in the right direction, as with most super glues.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 07 Apr 2021, 10:36

I use super glue on the small scrollsaw projects. Fast drying and I can start painting within 2 hours. PVA I would need to leave for 24 hours.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodster » 07 Apr 2021, 15:44

I found the Loctite flexible super glue to be quite strong. I’ve now seen this one:

https://www.sureloc-direct.co.uk/index. ... gm-32.html
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Apr 2021, 16:06

Just had a delivery of Starbond from the US; super thin, medium and thick, accelerator and remover.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby novocaine » 07 Apr 2021, 16:07

mitrebond or the screwfix own version for me. I use it like normal cyno (which is what it is) and the activator is great. leave it a year and it gets all thick, then you have 2 different thicknesses when you need it. :lol:

I stopped buy superglue years ago.

Macolm, Crimson Guitars stock starbond, save you buying in from the US.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Apr 2021, 16:08

novocaine wrote:

I couldn't find it on his website.

But I got a discount via Manor Wood.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby novocaine » 07 Apr 2021, 16:25

Malc2098 wrote:
novocaine wrote:

I couldn't find it on his website.

But I got a discount via Manor Wood.

It's buried under finish and finishing. for future reference obviously.
If you have a discount I know where I'd spend the money. :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 07 Apr 2021, 18:11

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks. Interestingly I looked at a well known tool dealer that stocks Titebond Superglue in various viscosities, just don’t look at the prices! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Peri » 07 Apr 2021, 20:25

I buy mine by the dozen from https://www.uksealants.co.uk/adhesives/super-glue.html

£2.20 (HV) £1.80(MV) for a 50g bottle, activator £2.50 a tin
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Apr 2021, 07:17

I have a bottle of superglue somewhere but I use it so rarely that it's gone 'off' and no longer seems to work but it is useful stuff to have around the 'shop. Any glues out there worth getting hold of with a decent user life? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 08 Apr 2021, 07:49

Woodbloke wrote:I have a bottle of superglue somewhere but I use it so rarely that it's gone 'off' and no longer seems to work but it is useful stuff to have around the 'shop. Any glues out there worth getting hold of with a decent user life? - Rob

I'm not sure you'll find a superglue that lasts that long once the bottle is open; it doesn't take much moisture getting into the bottle for it to stop working. I've got some Würth stuff that seems better than most I've tried, but I also got a pack of very small tubes of superglue (super budget brand stuff, all attached to a piece of cardboard as if designed for hanging up and selling individually), which at least has the advantage that the tubes aren't opened until ready for use.

On the other hand, for metal-to-metal gluing, I bought a big bottle of Loctite 603 about 10 years ago and it's still working really well with no signs of it getting gummy or stopping working.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Apr 2021, 09:03

Dr.Al wrote:
I'm not sure you'll find a superglue that lasts that long once the bottle is open; it doesn't take much moisture getting into the bottle for it to stop working. I've got some Würth stuff that seems better than most I've tried, but I also got a pack of very small tubes of superglue (super budget brand stuff, all attached to a piece of cardboard as if designed for hanging up and selling individually), which at least has the advantage that the tubes aren't opened until ready for use.

On the other hand, for metal-to-metal gluing, I bought a big bottle of Loctite 603 about 10 years ago and it's still working really well with no signs of it getting gummy or stopping working.

Ta Dr.Al; I've tried some of these 'el cheapo' budget branded tubes of superglue and found them about as useful as a chocolate teapot so I've not really bothered with it since. I did though, get a very good bottle of stuff and it's accelerator from Screwfist a while ago (forget the name) and my latest half empty bottle of Zap A Gap from Ax has just been binned as it's almost solidified :( - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Apr 2021, 11:00

I had a bottle of superglue that was several years old and still worked fine. As recommended I keep it in the fridge.

They have a deal on Amazon prime I’ve gone for, two 50g bottles of superglue and a can of activator for £8.80 delivered.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Apr 2021, 14:19

Woodster wrote:I had a bottle of superglue that was several years old and still worked fine. As recommended I keep it in the fridge.

They have a deal on Amazon prime I’ve gone for, two 50g bottles of superglue and a can of activator for £8.80 delivered.

That's a good tip; never heard of that one - Rob

Edit - Poundland do UHU and Loctite mini's for a £1. Their twin packs of epoxy are also excellent; also a pound.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 08 Apr 2021, 15:04

Ive been using this for some inlays today. Great stuff.

20210408_125719.jpg
(242.15 KiB)
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 08 Apr 2021, 16:42

This is the stuff I’ve ordered.

D217D2D7-A132-4C26-B005-070653C30100.jpeg
(149.38 KiB)
Woodster