It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:34

Hoisted by my own petard.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Hoisted by my own petard.

Postby Mike G » 08 Apr 2021, 19:31

Malc2098 wrote:Hatherwood Ruby from Lidl. Just over one pound.

BTW, shouldn't it be 'Foisted'?

No. It was "hoist" in Shakespeare's original. Someone, somewhere, sometime, mis-heard or something, and started saying or writing "foist", and it's stuck. And it was always "hoist", not "hoisted".
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 08 Apr 2021, 19:56

Woodbloke wrote:went downstairs to see that the jars had exploded, leaving raw, neat elderberry juice all over the walls and ceiling :o :o

I had a similar mishap with a strawberry wine once, it was in the very corner of the kitchen and blew the air bung out hitting every wall and the ceiling. I must have painted over the marks on the ceiling 3 times and it always came back :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Apr 2021, 20:01

Mike is right. I have been getting edgy every time I read this thread but am far too English polite to say "Hoist".

Anyway, I have up alcohol last year. This is despite having traded en primeur in the past, I just felt it's time I stopped poisoning myself. The chances of me sitting outside in some pub garden in April are nil. I am seriously considering opening a pop-up pre-booked only restaurant at home (for fun) but not until this lockdown stuff ends. I can start selling off my wine stocks :lol:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2021, 20:54

AJB Temple wrote:.... I can start selling off my wine stocks :lol:

Oh, just think of the hassle. I can come and collect them...no bother.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 09 Apr 2021, 00:06

Unlike others, I have arranged to meet two friends for a celebratory pint in the cold - just because we can, and because it’s been a long time since we met up, it’s the pub we go to to listen to live Blues, which is the other thing I can’t wait to get back to. Ian
Petard, they go back a very long way, a pipe bomb used to blow doors in, if my memory serves me right.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Apr 2021, 06:42

MattS wrote:
I had a similar mishap with a strawberry wine once, it was in the very corner of the kitchen and blew the air bung out hitting every wall and the ceiling. I must have painted over the marks on the ceiling 3 times and it always came back :lol:

That's why I used a couple of coats of gloopy gloss paint to seal it in; even after a couple of years there was no sign of the former elderberry stain - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 09 Apr 2021, 11:30

Woodbloke wrote:
MattS wrote:

That's why I used a couple of coats of gloopy gloss paint to seal it in; even after a couple of years there was no sign of the former elderberry stain - Rob

What is it with strawberry wine? We had a demi-john of the stuff froth up until the bubble trap was full of pulp which oozed out the top and on to the floor. Seeing what was happening, I carefully picked the demi-john up to move it outside, and the movement was the last straw(berry! :lol: ). The bung blew and strawberry pulp sprayed all over the kitchen, including inside the grill covering the wall mounted gas boiler. My wife, who was 8 months pregnant at the time, burst into tears and ran upstairs, whilst I cleared up the best I could before leaving for work. But the kitchen still smelt of strawberries for months afterwards.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Apr 2021, 12:59

Blackberry wine was mine. The ceiling looked like the astral heavens! ;)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby novocaine » 09 Apr 2021, 16:27

Blackberry cider for me. But most of it was outside. It invited the most of the local wasp tribe round.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat