It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 10:31

Tez's Workshop Build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 09 Jul 2018, 21:11

Apparently that joist size in C24 timber(whatever that is?) will support 1.02 kN per sq M imposed load which I think equates to 100kg per sq M.
tabs
New Shoots
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 21:46
Location: Wigan
Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Jul 2018, 21:25

Sorted, it seems!

From the net --- C24 graded Premium structural timber is a stronger, more demanding grade and has fewer/smaller knots than C16. C24 is best used where higher loads or wider spans are required. C24 will carry a higher point load than C16 grade.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2532
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby 9fingers » 09 Jul 2018, 22:20

tabs wrote:Thanks Malcolm, will take a look. I've found a site that gives joist sizes for flat roofs which is near enough what I will be doing.It says 50x150mm at 600mm centres will do a span of upto 2.97m so will do my 2.4 span easily. Just need to find out now whether this would support a green roof of 60-100kg per sq m.

I reckon if you use the tables for floor joists, they will be more than enough for your green roof.
I would never use a green roof personally but everyone to their own :D
Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 09 Jul 2018, 22:35

9fingers wrote:
tabs wrote:Thanks Malcolm, will take a look. I've found a site that gives joist sizes for flat roofs which is near enough what I will be doing.It says 50x150mm at 600mm centres will do a span of upto 2.97m so will do my 2.4 span easily. Just need to find out now whether this would support a green roof of 60-100kg per sq m.

I reckon if you use the tables for floor joists, they will be more than enough for your green roof.
I would never use a green roof personally but everyone to their own :D
Bob


Thanks Bob, hadn't thought of it that way! OF course floor joists are carrying a lot of weight!!
tabs
New Shoots
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 21:46
Location: Wigan
Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 09 Jul 2018, 22:36

Malc2098 wrote:Sorted, it seems!

From the net --- C24 graded Premium structural timber is a stronger, more demanding grade and has fewer/smaller knots than C16. C24 is best used where higher loads or wider spans are required. C24 will carry a higher point load than C16 grade.


Cheers will see if I can get some tanalised C24.
tabs
New Shoots
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 21:46
Location: Wigan
Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby will1983 » 10 Jul 2018, 10:40

tabs wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Sorted, it seems!

From the net --- C24 graded Premium structural timber is a stronger, more demanding grade and has fewer/smaller knots than C16. C24 is best used where higher loads or wider spans are required. C24 will carry a higher point load than C16 grade.


Cheers will see if I can get some tanalised C24.


Tabs do a cost comparison against using C16 at smaller centres. You may find it is cheaper to use more C16 joists than fewer C24 ones. Also remember that the joist centres will need to work with the sheeting dimensions so the joints are fully supported (remember to research the 1220x2440 / 1200x2400 difference from the supplier).

Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_woodworking for more stuff I have been working on.
will1983
New Shoots
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 04 Nov 2015, 16:18
Location: Crewe, Cheshire
Name:

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 13 Jul 2018, 17:29

Thanks Will I'll do that. I take if I do that and as my walls will be at 600 centres I should just tack another length of 4by2 onto the top of the frame?
tabs
New Shoots
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 21:46
Location: Wigan
Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 15 Jul 2018, 13:41

Now onto making decision on cladding.Going for horizontal featheredge.

First up what sort of timber?

Cedar, Larch or Douglas Fir

I'm thinking about going for 200mm width to speed up installation and because i kind of like the look of a wider board.

Green or Air Dried?

I'm going to do some reading on the pros and cons of all these choices but am interested in the input of you guys who have experience in this. Cheers.

Rough calculation I need to cover about 26 sq m
tabs
New Shoots
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 21:46
Location: Wigan
Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby tabs » 15 Jul 2018, 13:46

Oh , also looking for recommendations for suppliers . The one I've been looking at to get rough idea of cost says they use pallet couriers so is going to be no good as I assume that means I would need a truck to unload
tabs
New Shoots
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 21:46
Location: Wigan
Name: Tez

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jul 2018, 13:53

tabs wrote:Oh , also looking for recommendations for suppliers . The one I've been looking at to get rough idea of cost says they use pallet couriers so is going to be no good as I assume that means I would need a truck to unload


Not necessarily. You sometimes see wagons going around with their own forklift carried on the back so those can unload themselves.


Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby RogerS » 15 Jul 2018, 14:36

tabs wrote:Oh , also looking for recommendations for suppliers . The one I've been looking at to get rough idea of cost says they use pallet couriers so is going to be no good as I assume that means I would need a truck to unload


I unloaded 3 tonnes of oak flooring from the back of one lorry. Nothing to it :D

Personally I hate the smell of Douglas Fir and it makes me gag.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5362
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Please God. Make it stop raining.
Name:

Re: Tez's Workshop Build

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Jul 2018, 15:00

I got mine from the second nearest sawmills. (The first couldn't make the order).

I saw the log it was going to be cut from and they delivered.

It was Douglas Fir and it didn't make me gag. :D

It was green, and I painted it all fours sides with diluted Bedec barn paint and the three exposed sides with two coats of barn paint.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2532
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest