It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 15:36

External door panels ?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

External door panels ?

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2019, 08:21

Hi chaps

LOML wants this back door made for us.
Image

Image

I was proposing to make the rails and stiles from Tricoya but was wondering about the panels. Would it be better to use Medite Accoya ?

Regarding the construction, those panels look flush on the original and so I'm guessing that maybe they rebated the rails and stiles and dropped the panels in ?

That cock bead ...can't get my head round that one. Planted on ? It's not on the panel..RH middle panel has split but the bead is intact. I don't think it's moulded onto the rails or stiles (could be though) as it doesn't run al the way through that top rail, for example. But it doesn't look planted on as they look flush with the panels and rails etc. Mmmmm.....coming round, as I type, that they are moulded on the rails and stiles.

TIA
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5921
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Please God. Make it stop raining.
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Mike G » 11 Jan 2019, 09:07

Don't you think they've rebated the edges of the panels such that the back of the panel sits flush with the back of the grooves in the stiles and rails? Thus moving the panel outwards from the more usual position, to finish flush with the outside face of the door?

As always with this forum, the images are too small to see detail, and I can't even see any cock beads.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Andyp » 11 Jan 2019, 11:03

Mike G wrote:As always with this forum, the images are too small to see detail,


Mike apologies if this is granny sucking eggs time.
Images hosted by the forum are limited to keep storage space and hence costs down to a non advertisement funded level.

Images held off site, like Rogers held on Flickr, are limited to the size of the image on the host. A click on the image and a subsequent enlargement of the image on the host site could make a much large image available.
Unfortunately the image Roger uploaded to Flickr is quite small.

Any chance of a large one Roger?
cheers

Andy


Doing my best to achieve Wabi Sabi
User avatar
Andyp
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5436
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: External door panels ?

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2019, 11:28

Andyp wrote:...
Any chance of a large one Roger?


I'm afraid not as it came off a For Sale site.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5921
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Please God. Make it stop raining.
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 16:52

How bizarre I'm making one very similar to that now. I'm using sapele for the stiles and rails and tricoya for the panels. It's slightly different in terms of proportions buy not by much. I've grooved.......I'll post some pictures when I'm next in the shop The cock beads I'm gonna prime all the way around then then pin them onto the stiles/rails afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 16:53

Ahhh, I think your tricoya and accoya are a bit fuddled up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby RogerS » 11 Jan 2019, 17:19

Coley wrote:Ahhh, I think your tricoya and accoya are a bit fuddled up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk



LOL ! Tricoya = solid wood Medite Accoya = MDF type Tricoya. Think that's right.

Looking forward to the pictures. Any reason why you went sapele ? My concern is stability given the 'climate' although it's not exposed to direct rain. Well..not all the time :lol:
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5921
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Please God. Make it stop raining.
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 17:34

I've never had an issue with the stability of sapele so longs it's painted or finished properly. That said a few years ago I did increase the gaps between frame and door from 2mm all the way around to 3mm top and sides and 4mm on the bottom. This was mainly to suit most draughtstrip recommended gaps though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 17:37

RogerS wrote:
LOL ! Tricoya = solid wood Medite Accoya = MDF type Tricoya. Think that's right.


That's the one



Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 11 Jan 2019, 18:33

Here's where I am at the moment.
Image
Stiles have got a 12mm wide groove around 8mm deep. Every edge that takes a panel had the same groove. The top edge of every rail then had a bevel on it.
Image
Image
The cock beads will be primed all the way around and just pinned in place. Hopefully any water that may find its way between the panel and cock bead will be able to find its way out with the bevel helping things.
Image
The rest of the beads will just be fixed as normal.
Image
Hth

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 08 Feb 2019, 06:51

Did you bang this project on the head Roger?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby RogerS » 08 Feb 2019, 08:24

Coley wrote:Did you bang this project on the head Roger?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk



Hi Coley....

LOL...other things have priority, I'm afraid.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
User avatar
RogerS
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5921
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Please God. Make it stop raining.
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby will1983 » 08 Feb 2019, 11:20

Coley wrote:Image


Hi Coley, I'm new to this whole door making lark so please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

Looking at the section above i presume the exterior is the left side? If that is the case, what stops water from accumulating at the bottom of the groove in the rail?
I can see how it being chamfered and lower than the interior side prevents it from ingressing inside but I can't see how it can escape. Surely the bottom edge of the panel will be permanently submerged.

Thanks
Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
User avatar
will1983
New Shoots
 
Posts: 108
Joined: 04 Nov 2015, 16:18
Location: Crewe, Cheshire
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Feb 2019, 14:33

will1983 wrote:
Coley wrote:Image


Hi Coley, I'm new to this whole door making lark so please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

Looking at the section above i presume the exterior is the left side? If that is the case, what stops water from accumulating at the bottom of the groove in the rail?
I can see how it being chamfered and lower than the interior side prevents it from ingressing inside but I can't see how it can escape. Surely the bottom edge of the panel will be permanently submerged.

Thanks
Will


I think that's just extra lines on the drawing, I think the bottom of the channel that the unit site in is chamfered all the way along. I could be mistaken though.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4063
Joined: 16 Jun 2014, 13:27
Location: Grappenhall, Cheshire
Name: Mark

Re: External door panels ?

Postby Coley » 08 Feb 2019, 14:35

TrimTheKing wrote:
will1983 wrote:
Coley wrote:Image


Hi Coley, I'm new to this whole door making lark so please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

Looking at the section above i presume the exterior is the left side? If that is the case, what stops water from accumulating at the bottom of the groove in the rail?
I can see how it being chamfered and lower than the interior side prevents it from ingressing inside but I can't see how it can escape. Surely the bottom edge of the panel will be permanently submerged.

Thanks
Will


I think that's just extra lines on the drawing, I think the bottom of the channel that the unit site in is chamfered all the way along. I could be mistaken though.
You're correct, just an extra line on the drawing. All the horizontal rails that could collect water are beveled

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Coley
Sapling
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:03
Name:

Re: External door panels ?

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Feb 2019, 15:44

Bl00dy amazing me! :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4063
Joined: 16 Jun 2014, 13:27
Location: Grappenhall, Cheshire
Name: Mark

Re: External door panels ?

Postby will1983 » 13 Feb 2019, 15:34

Thanks guys, that makes much more sense now!
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
User avatar
will1983
New Shoots
 
Posts: 108
Joined: 04 Nov 2015, 16:18
Location: Crewe, Cheshire
Name:


Return to General Woodworking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest