It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 01:36

Small turning job help needed.

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jul 2019, 14:07

Would any of you avid turners be willing to take on a modest commission to make 6 mushroom type drawer knobs turned and sanded. I would apply my own finish.

Nominal diameter 43mm and projection about 37mm made in cherry wood to match the drawer fronts I'm currently making.

I can supply photos of the design based on some pine ones that SWMBO's arthritic fingers can grip adequately.

Perhaps you could ask any questions in the forum and discuss pricing via PM please.

Eternally grateful if you could help please.

TIA
Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jul 2019, 16:43

9fingers wrote:Would any of you avid turners be willing to take on a modest commission to make 6 mushroom type drawer knobs turned and sanded. I would apply my own finish.

Nominal diameter 43mm and projection about 37mm made in cherry wood to match the drawer fronts I'm currently making.

I can supply photos of the design based on some pine ones that SWMBO's arthritic fingers can grip adequately.

Perhaps you could ask any questions in the forum and discuss pricing via PM please.

Eternally grateful if you could help please.

TIA
Bob

As I owe you a couple of flavours Bob, I'll have a go but I don't have any cherry :( - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jul 2019, 17:00

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:Would any of you avid turners be willing to take on a modest commission to make 6 mushroom type drawer knobs turned and sanded. I would apply my own finish.

Nominal diameter 43mm and projection about 37mm made in cherry wood to match the drawer fronts I'm currently making.

I can supply photos of the design based on some pine ones that SWMBO's arthritic fingers can grip adequately.

Perhaps you could ask any questions in the forum and discuss pricing via PM please.

Eternally grateful if you could help please.

TIA
Bob

As I owe you a couple of flavours Bob, I'll have a go but I don't have any cherry :( - Rob


Thanks for the offer Rob. I've only got a bit of sawn 27mm cherry here and for some jobs I'd glue two pieces to make bigger blanks, I think it will show up on summat like a knob.

Iknow Mr Parsons has made something in cherry recently so maybe.......

Cheers
Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Dalboy » 06 Jul 2019, 17:45

I will have a look tomorrow to see what size cherry I have. Been out all day at the woodturning club
Dalboy
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 872
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jul 2019, 17:49

Dalboy wrote:I will have a look tomorrow to see what size cherry I have. Been out all day at the woodturning club


Much obliged Derek. As and when you get a moment.

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Andyp » 06 Jul 2019, 21:28

Bob, I do have some cherry that I could possibly make into suitable size blanks but the chances of me turning 6 the same are minimal if not impossible. I am not at home at the moment, will be back Tuesday and have a look. Maybe I could send the blanks to someone more competent at repetitive turning than I.
cheers

Andy
“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...” A.A. Milne

Doing my best to achieve Wabi Sabi
User avatar
Andyp
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5868
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jul 2019, 21:44

Thanks Andy

We will see what Derek has otherwise your solution sounds a distinct possibility.

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby DaveL » 06 Jul 2019, 22:33

Hi Bob,

Are you using English or American cherry?
I have some American but need to check the size.
I have done a few coat pegs for Mike so have a bit of experience turning multiple copies.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jul 2019, 07:55

Hi Dave
I'm using American cherry for the drawer fronts

Cheers
Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Andyp » 07 Jul 2019, 09:36

What I have will be English. Is there a lot of difference?
cheers

Andy
“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...” A.A. Milne

Doing my best to achieve Wabi Sabi
User avatar
Andyp
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5868
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jul 2019, 11:12

Andyp wrote:What I have will be English. Is there a lot of difference?


Not sure to be honest Andy. My book shows a particular sample of euro cherry to be like lacewood whereas the picture of American is a differnet cut and plainer grain.

I'm guessing Derek my also have English cherry too if he has any given several posts of him collecting native timber.
I'll wait to see his response.
Thanks to all who are chipping in offering help
just shows what a great group of guys we have here!

Cheers

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Dalboy » 07 Jul 2019, 11:30

This is what I have it came from a business what they made I don't know as it came via my Uncle. I have about 5 or 6 lengths of it all a good 2 to 3 ft long so not a problem so the knobs will be end grain rather than cross grain. because I don't normally turn knobs I don't know which way round is the best for the grain but as for turning I can do that with no problem.
Not all of my wood is harvested by me I don't care where my wood comes from as most of it is free the way I like it :lol:
The picture is as close to the wood colour as I can get. The wood is ever so slightly darker.
DSCF1451 (1024x768).jpg
(230.82 KiB)
Dalboy
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 872
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jul 2019, 13:11

That looks to me like American Cherry. The English has patches of grey streaks in it which makes it look (to me at least) fairly unappealing - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby DaveL » 08 Jul 2019, 18:42

Hi Bob,

I had a bit of a rumage and found a bit of 70*48 that is 860 long, so even with a few trail ones there should be enough for your 6 knobs.

If you do a quick sketch of what you would like, I will see if there are any lurking in that bit of stock!Image
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jul 2019, 19:03

Dave, I've been somewhat overwhelmed with offers of help.
A big thanks to everyone who has offered help here and via PMs
An exchange of favours has now been made with Dalboy of this parish.

Cheers

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby DaveL » 08 Jul 2019, 19:35

That's OK, as long as you are storted.
Last edited by DaveL on 08 Jul 2019, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Mike G » 08 Jul 2019, 20:02

Woodbloke wrote:That looks to me like American Cherry. The English has patches of grey streaks in it which makes it look (to me at least) fairly unappealing - Rob


Agreed, on both counts.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4203
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Jul 2019, 17:05

Mike G wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:That looks to me like American Cherry. The English has patches of grey streaks in it which makes it look (to me at least) fairly unappealing - Rob


Agreed, on both counts.

I thought for half a moment Mike, that you were offering to do Bob's little turning project :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby 9fingers » 10 Jul 2019, 17:50

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:That looks to me like American Cherry. The English has patches of grey streaks in it which makes it look (to me at least) fairly unappealing - Rob


Agreed, on both counts.

I thought for half a moment Mike, that you were offering to do Bob's little turning project :lol: :lol: - Rob



Oink Oink, Flap Flap is that airbourne bacon by any chance? :lol:

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5319
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small turning job help needed.

Postby Dalboy » 10 Jul 2019, 19:09

Woodbloke wrote:I thought for half a moment Mike, that you were offering to do Bob's little turning project :lol: :lol: - Rob


Blimey that would be time to celebrate :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 872
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:


Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron