• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

A plane you might not have come across before - the holzdraht hobel

AndyT

Old Oak
Reaction score
Name
Andy
You know how Google likes to look over your shoulder and try to get to know you better? Well, in the last few days, prompted by discussion about German hand planes, I have glanced at a few relevant YouTube videos. So today, it was no surprise to see a German language video suggested to me, that seemed to be about some sort of historic craft.

I don't speak German but it soon became clear that the craft in question was the making of sunblinds for windows. Rather than using grass, the canny Bavarians use logs of wood and special planes which cut long thin strips, a bit like thick spaghetti, and up to 6 metres long!

They would be rather hard to push by hand, so they use a cunning foot-operated machine, which pulls the plane along on a rope. Here's a close up of one of the planes:

German blind maker plane.png

Anyone heard of these before? Any of our German speakers or residents? It was a new one on me and further proof that there is no limit to the number of types of plane in existence!

Here's the whole 11 minute video:

That museum near Saltzburg is quite interesting. A bit "Disney" these days but it has a lot of old buildings and an apparently authentic old workshop. Was taken there by FIL some while ago. You can't get away from Mozart everything though. Never seen a plane like that.

Hi German ist not my problem, but Bavarian and English,,,

I think most of it is understandable just with the pictures. To plane theses strings, you need extremly straight grain wood. In the part from the 1980s you can see the last String planer. He already stats, that theses treee are not in the woods any longer.

The wood was watered and completly wet.

Cheers
Pedder

Andy,

if there are any specific bits you want translating, I'd be happy to help out. Obvs the offer stands for everybody else too, provided you don't want a whole book translated.

It would be interesting to know how they sharpened these planes.

I know I've not got one but I'm sure I've seen these planes somewhere before :unsure:
Top marks Andy for making a feature of this, I feel another demonstration exhibit coming on :love:

Cheers, Andy

That was fascinating, even though I couldn't understand the German, it was intriguing to see how they made those.

Back