• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Advice on finish for a Backgammon Board

Blackswanwood

Nordic Pine
Reaction score
I have been asked to make a Backgammon Board and am not sure what would be the best finish for the playing surface.

At the moment it's between Rustin's Plastic Coating Gloss (which is a two part cold cured lacquer) or Chestnut Melamine Lacquer. The aim is to get a high gloss durable finish. I normally stick to wax over oil or French polish so am on a learning curve.

Any shared experience of the products mentioned or other finishes for games boards will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Robert

Would the wax oil not be durable enough Robert? I used Osmo raw on a butcher block table I made for my daughter in law, it's had heavy use over a number of years with no additional coats and it's still in excellent condition. They don't actually cut on it directly but gets used and abused.

Would the wax oil not be durable enough Robert? I used Osmo raw on a butcher block table I made for my daughter in law, it's had heavy use over a number of years with no additional coats and it's still in excellent condition. They don't actually cut on it directly but gets used and abused.
I oil and then apply a resin wax Bob which is pretty durable but I’m not sure how it will fare with backgammon counters (or are they called stones?) being slid around over time. I hadn’t thought about Osmo raw - not sure what level of gloss it will give or how it is with ebony which is one of the veneers I plan to use but have ordered a sample to do a test. Thanks.

Rustins Plastic Coating is dead easy on such a small area. It's incredibly durable, and would probably be my first choice of the finishes I am familiar with. It's harder to apply nicely on a large area as you have to keep a wet edge. I think you cut it back to get a high gloss finish, if that's what you want. One of the bonuses is that it doesn't yellow.

Hi Robert
The reason I used raw on that table is because it was maple and I wanted as natural a finish as possible. From memory it had 6 thin coats and buffed up to a glossy satin if that makes sense. Perfect for that project but may not be a high enough gloss for yours.

What would the hive think about using a floor varnish for a games board?
Bound to be hard wearing, available in gloss, and does not need mixing with a hardener.
I’ve used a floor varnish on children's pine bedroom furniture in the past which has stood up well to a far amount of abuse, not sure which brand.

My instinct would be that you don't want it too glossy as that becomes a distraction when playing - I have a chess table made for my 21st and it has a satin finish - when we put a glass top on it to protect it the added reflections do give a bit of distraction - so def. satin if you can.

Back