• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Yet another router circle cutting jig

9fingers

Staff member
Reaction score
Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New F
As some of you know I am still struggling with motivation post medical treatment and having to make myself get back into the workshop after 15months of absence to try and find my mojo again. I'm not very tidy so it could be hidden anywhere! :lol:

I don't claim this jig to be original but it came out of my head and not copied from anywhere.
I wanted to be able to cut circles with radii both smaller and larger than the router base itself. This version happens to cover radii from about 13mm to 320mm.

I did not do any WIP photos but it is pretty simple top see from the folloewing photos and text.

The base from the side.
side view complete.jpg

Two pieces of ply, one 6mm thick bolted on to the router base and a thicker piece 9mm glued to it.

Underside view

Underside base only.jpg

The 6mm piece has a clearance hole for the cutter and slot 19mm wide from this hole to the furthest end.
Having glued the 9mm piece on this secures the the slot at the far end. The 9mm piece has a 6mm slot runnng form the edge of the router base to within 10mm of the far end.

top view
Top view base only.jpg

The pivot slide is made from a scrap of hardwood - in this case red oak and is fitted with a counter sunk M4 screw 10mm for one end and a couple of M6 csk holes as alternate positions for a locking screw. The pivot slide was tapped to retain the screws. The M4 screw it the pivot point and could have been a custom made pin but ICNBA so just used a machine screw.
Whilst the saw was set up I cut few other red oak strips that were a honeymoon fit in the 19mm groove for possible enhancements and other pivot pin sizes.

Pivot slide.jpg

Pivot slide top view.jpg

with the locking screw in one position I have a pretty good range of different radii settings.
From
pivot and cutter underside.jpg

to
pivot position 1 max extension.jpg

However using the second hole for the locking screw and flipping the pivot slide end for end, the useful radius can be set up to 320mm.

pivot positon 2 max extension.jpg

for completeness, this is the locking nut and washer.

topview complete.jpg.

Not my finest jig making efforts but it works and I'm pleased with it and it might just inspire someone to do something similar.

Thanks for looking
Bob

Nice job.

Mine was similar but not so well made when I needed sound holes in my instruments, and my ply was not good quality, and I couldn't find my mojo to make another one.

So I got a rather nice one from Temu for £16 for the current range of instruments.

Andyp":1y45e0ky said:
Begs the question Bob. What are you about to make with this?

I need to make a wooden base for a glass display dome. As well as fitting the circular dome, I need a semi circular arc for led lighting and offset centre circular recess and underneath a pocket for electronics and usb type C power socket.
So lots of circles needed.
I need to work out a strict order for cutting to make sure I still maintain available centres.
If it works out, I'll post the results!

Bob

9fingers":20ik28yr said:
Andyp":20ik28yr said:
Begs the question Bob. What are you about to make with this?

I need to make a wooden base for a glass display dome. As well as fitting the circular dome, I need a semi circular arc for led lighting and offset centre circular recess and underneath a pocket for electronics and usb type C power socket.
So lots of circles needed.
I need to work out a strict order for cutting to make sure I still maintain available centres.
If it works out, I'll post the results!

Bob

Would that be for a clock?

Having used the jig for two prototypes and the final version of my clock base, i could feel the threads in the guide bar starting to fail so this afternoon i made one from steel and took the opportunity to engrave a series of lines 2mm apart to assist in making small radius adjustments 62F182E8-76B2-426E-ADA9-7C94B4EEFC49.jpeg

Hopefully this will last much longer

Bob

Odd. When I've dragged a full size image in, XF wont let me add text below. Anyway, we came across this last week: this thing was made in the early 1700s and does not use bolts - everything is held together with wedges apparently. That was normal at the time according to the hard to read text. It is known as a turret clock and was in the church tower of an ancient church near us and is now on display there. I know fairly little about clocks.

Last edited:

Sorry about the antique video, but the clock itself is exquisite. I watched its antics quite a few times visiting No1 at Uni. ...G'wan. G'wan, G'wan Bob!! You know you wnat to!

Odd. When I've dragged a full size image in, XF wont let me add text below.
click on image - right arrow to now sit after the image / return to go below it / type... (may depend on device for precise instructions - but all should allow typing after a full size image)

Had to add a separate note as 10 minute edit time has expired. Anyone who is interested in early horology, the church is St Mary's at Goudhurst. On an extremely awkward bend right next to the pub at the top of the hill. There is a smuggler's tunnel allegedly between pub and church.

Can't do anything now Alasdair as I can't edit it :ROFLMAO:

Back