It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:20

Hi, everyone.

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hi, everyone.

Postby canoemoose » 10 Mar 2021, 00:29

I've lurked for a while, both here and at a Certain Other Place.
However, the thing that's really brought me out of the woodwork (groan...) is that the workshop that I've been thinking about building has reached the top of the list. I've also probably lowered the average age somewhat - I'm 30 this year.

Growing up, I had the luxury of both a workshop attached to the family home with adjoining large double-garage for bigger projects, and a design engineer grandfather who had a small engineering workshop in his garden, both in the outskirts of Cambridge.

I now work as an AV technician/Solutions Engineer for a technical production company based in the East Midlands who happen to have an attached joinery/"design and build" department, set up entirely for sheet goods.

Over the last year of various furlough- and lockdown- enforced thumb-twiddling, I've really missed the ability to just get on and make things without popping in to work or visiting the 90 mile-away parents.

When I bought the house I'm in now, the only negative as a new build house was the lack of garage and realtively small garden, but there's a corner I've always had earmarked for a workshop.

Once my plans are a little more thought through, expect a workshop build thread - complete with plenty of pictures. The 90-miles-away family has building trades experience so I'm not a complete building novice, but I hope I can lean on MikeG for some friendly advice along the way - and add to his list of "pints owed" counter!

I look forward to contributing more, and for now, I hope everyone manages to stay safe!
Matt
canoemoose
Seedling

Name: Matt

Re: Hi, everyone.

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Mar 2021, 01:00

Welcome aboard Matt

Look forward to the pics and shop build.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby DaveL » 10 Mar 2021, 01:45

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum, you will fit right in if you post lots of pictures.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 10 Mar 2021, 09:24

Welcome Matt. Fire away! I haven't had a workshop project to assist for a few weeks now......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 10 Mar 2021, 10:22

Hi from England's most northern county. :)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Mar 2021, 11:03

Hi from way down south west.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Chris101 » 10 Mar 2021, 11:44

Hellooo!
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 10 Mar 2021, 13:40

Welcome from very far South of South
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Roland » 10 Mar 2021, 19:59

Hello from just around the corner
Roland
Seedling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 10 Mar 2021, 21:13

canoemoose wrote: I've also probably lowered the average age somewhat - I'm 30 this year.

Not everyone here is as old as you may think ;)
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby canoemoose » 10 Mar 2021, 21:46

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I'm going to stick to the 15sqm limit for the workshop as it has to go up against a boundary and I don't want to explore what local building control feel mostly non-combustable means. I'm also therefore limited to 2.5m overall height, although a sloping site leads to about 250mm "free" height on top of that, assuming digging out to a zero level. I'm having to think very carefully about rooves and door heights...

I'm still very much deciding how big within that envelope - I have a small garden at 8.4x10.7m and I don't want to cram too much in. Once I've had more of a think and come up with a general scheme for the rest of the garden, I'll start a build thread!
I'm planning on getting a local builder to dig, pour a slab and lay a plinth wall as I've never layed bricks and digging is hard work - this small estate is built on the site of a former factory and I'm pretty sure the ground-up remains of the old factory floor slab is very close to the surface under as little imported topsoil as the developer could get away with.
canoemoose
Seedling

Name: Matt

Postby Cabinetman » 11 Mar 2021, 18:08

Hi and welcome, well if it was me I would examine that floor slab to see if it was usable, it’s probably pretty thick if it was a large factory. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Return to Welcome (Introductions)