It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:11

Thank you for allowing me to join you.

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Thank you for allowing me to join you.

Postby quintain » 04 Dec 2021, 23:13

Hi, Thank you for allowing me to join your forum. My name is Richard with a forum name of quintain. I live in West Cumbria and thankfully still have a full head of albeit very grey hair. I have little formal knowledge of woodworking but have messed around in my workshop for a lot of years, including using my v old Dominion Woodworker.
Best regards..quintain
quintain
Seedling

Name:

Re: Thank you for allowing me to join you.

Postby Trevanion » 04 Dec 2021, 23:43

Welcome, Quintain!

Is that the Dominion Minor or Super Elliot? I always thought the Super Elliot looked like a very formidable machine, capable of a lot of work in the right hands.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby quintain » 05 Dec 2021, 01:07

Trevanion wrote:Welcome, Quintain!

Is that the Dominion Minor or Super Elliot? I always thought the Super Elliot looked like a very formidable machine, capable of a lot of work in the right hands.

Hi Trevanion..It is the Super Elliot, I use it a lot for my 1840s house woodworking maintenance. I have put 3 x single phase motors onto it to run the (1) rip saw, (2) the cross cut saw with a shopmade bed and the (3) planer thicknesser. It is a central hard working tool for my use. I was told a long - long time ago that in the early 1900s the English King (George V ???) said "I want a machine to do all things with wood that will work on my warships" and the Dominion Super (and I believe Major) Elliot came about with cutting, thicknessing, planing and shaping was designed.....What a possibly correct story and what a very short but utterly complete design statement.
quintain
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Dec 2021, 07:33

Bonjour Richard

And welcome to the forum. There are one or two old machine enthusiasts around here so I am sure as soon as you are able* a few photos of whatever a Dominion is will go down very well.

*after 3 posts.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 05 Dec 2021, 08:07

Just googled Dominion Super Eliot.
That looks a handfull.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 05 Dec 2021, 08:21

Welcome Richard. Good to have you with us. I don't know if you've been told, but there is a three post threshold before you can just post normally, and post photos etc. It's the reason we are mercifully clear of spammers and troublemakers on here. So one more post, then we'd all like to see some photos of your work, and your workshop.

That machine doesn't look like something you'd put on castors and pull out into the room when you want to use it!!!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 05 Dec 2021, 09:19

Welcome Richard. I can confirm the appetite for pictures on this forum!
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 05 Dec 2021, 10:05

Welcome Richard especially as a wood machinist! You will help balance out some of these handtool types.
:lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Dec 2021, 10:54

Wotcher, from deepest Mid-Devon.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Lons » 05 Dec 2021, 11:29

A big hi from Northumberland Richard, you aren't the only one who messes around, the older I get the more mess I make :lol: according to what my missus says every time I trail sawdust through the house.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby johnward » 05 Dec 2021, 12:59

Welcome Richard. I too have grey hair but with lots missing!

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 05 Dec 2021, 13:17

Speaking as an unbalanced hand tool type, I think machines get more interesting the older they are, so look forward to seeing how you keep everything shipshape with your elderly jack of all trades! ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 05 Dec 2021, 13:41

johnward wrote:Welcome Richard. I too have grey hair but with lots missing!

John

Grey! I remember grey - now what little I have left is white :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby quintain » 05 Dec 2021, 16:06

Thank you to all for your kind welcomes with some leg pulls and colour correction.
I failed my voluntary medical in the earli-ish 1960s to get into the RAF because I had a degre of colour blindness...so I am with 9fingers and accordingly change my grey hair for white and I also say to him I am not a machinist, I am only a bodger.
I am a retired fireman now having to be called firefighter, who managed to get a bit of rank markings on my shoulders, I done almost 30 yrs before my lungs started to give me to many problems.
One of my training officers told me "never consider yourself an expert, always just be willing to have a go at anything in front of you, but leave my missus alone" another told me of his own thoughts when he was running across Pegasus bridge in the mid 1940s his behind, or similar description, was telling him he would prefer to be somewhere else. He wonderfully and fully and again frequently would take at least 2 pints drinking time to tell us that experience and more time if more beer was bought for him.
I consider myself to be a sawdust making bodger who may ask some questions amongst you illustrious folks and I will try to contribute when possible.
I will post some pics of the Dominion showing my bodged but very useful (cheap timber) additions to it.
quintain
Seedling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 05 Dec 2021, 22:36

Hi Fireman Sam. Postman Pat sends best wishes from deepest Pontypandy.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DaveL » 05 Dec 2021, 22:53

Hi Quintain,

Welcome to the forum, I am pleased someone has already mentioned that we like pictures.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Dec 2021, 22:58

Hello and welcome aboard Richard.

Can’t wait to see this machine in picture form.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 05 Dec 2021, 23:18

Hi Quintain and a warm welcome from me - with one foot in Cumbria and t'other in Northumberland. Whereabouts are you ? On the coast ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 05 Dec 2021, 23:36

My nephew joined the fire service this year and one of my friends used to be assistant chief of Northumberland though he's been retired quite a number of years now. (John Weddell)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby quintain » 05 Dec 2021, 23:58

Lons wrote:My nephew joined the fire service this year and one of my friends used to be assistant chief of Northumberland though he's been retired quite a number of years now. (John Weddell)

Tell your nephew from me, its the best job in the world and it was even better in my time!! AND your friend John has a very highly valued brain if ever he considered selling it "Chief Fire Officer & Assis' CFO brain for sale --infrequently used" being a common consideration. BTW John will either snarl and say 'smart ass' or he may say 'if I had a pound for every time I'd heard that (from pillocks)" .
quintain
Seedling

Name:

Postby Lons » 06 Dec 2021, 10:26

quintain wrote:
Lons wrote:My nephew joined the fire service this year and one of my friends used to be assistant chief of Northumberland though he's been retired quite a number of years now. (John Weddell)

Tell your nephew from me, its the best job in the world and it was even better in my time!! AND your friend John has a very highly valued brain if ever he considered selling it "Chief Fire Officer & Assis' CFO brain for sale --infrequently used" being a common consideration. BTW John will either snarl and say 'smart ass' or he may say 'if I had a pound for every time I'd heard that (from pillocks)" .

:lol: :lol: :lol: he would laugh and ask where I got that from.
I discovered by accident that he got a gong of some kind in the 1989 honours list but he's never mentioned it and neither do I as I've no intention of addressing him as sir or anything else. ;) In reality he would say he was just doing his job and I think it was a service medal.
He's a neighbour as well as a friend and I don't see much of him these days since I haven't been playing golf.

My nephew loves it btw, mid twenties, rugby player and fit as a flea.
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Cabinetman » 07 Dec 2021, 14:39

You’re very welcome Richard, did someone say we love pictures? And if we can see bits of your workshop in the background even better. Nothing quite like a nose around! Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby fiveeyes » 07 Dec 2021, 15:59

Welcome, from the USA.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)