It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:25

Another fine stop on my journey of identification

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Another fine stop on my journey of identification

Postby DeadDog » 02 Apr 2022, 15:41

Hi there one and all,

This site was suggested to me from someone over in the Lumberjocks forum as its UK based and I may get more relevant advice. So here I am and I have a question for those with way more experience and knowledge.

What type of wood do I have here?
IMG_8715 - Copy.JPG
(342.79 KiB)
There are 5 boards(if thats the correct term), they are well aged having been stored by me alone for over 10 years. I am not sure how old they were before then. They were likely originally for boat repairs and its been suggested that what we have here is some mahogany but also possibly teak, longest board on far right is approx 334cm x 28cm x 7.5cm. Numbering the boards 1-5 from left to right, here are some cleaned face and endgrain shots.
Board 1
1_IMG_8745.JPG
(363.69 KiB)

Board 2
2_IMG_8743.JPG
(376.57 KiB)

Board 3
3_IMG_8741.JPG
(430.93 KiB)

Board 4
4_IMG_8739.JPG
(348.32 KiB)

Board 5
5_IMG_8747.JPG
(325.64 KiB)

Any help from you kind ladies and gentlement much appreciated.
kind regards,
David
DeadDog
Seedling

Name: David

Re: Another fine stop on my journey of identification

Postby Andyp » 02 Apr 2022, 16:44

Hi David and welcome to The Woodhaven.

Someone will be along soon to help with an id of your timber I am sure.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 02 Apr 2022, 16:56

Welcome to TWH2 David,

I think it is too reddish to be teak so could well be mahogany or one of its look alikes.
Genuine mahogany is rare these days but as you have had it for a while it could be the real thing.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby DeadDog » 02 Apr 2022, 17:09

Thank you for the welcome.

Do you think I need to clean the ends up more and take some macro shots for a proper identification?
The closest I found by myself was Santos Mahogany (which I understand to not be a true mahogany) and the only reason why I leant towards this was because the sandings smelt "spicey" and I had read online that mahogany did not have a distinctive smell...
DeadDog
Seedling

Postby Trevanion » 02 Apr 2022, 17:24

Welcome David,

It’s always hard to say with the mahoganoid timbers as the differences can be very subtle between species. A planed example of the face may help with identification but if I had to have a punt on what I see in the pictures I would say Keruing.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Apr 2022, 17:51

Trevanion wrote:Welcome David,

It’s always hard to say with the mahoganoid timbers as the differences can be very subtle between species. A planed example of the face may help with identification but if I had to have a punt on what I see in the pictures I would say Keruing.

Welcome from me as well and I would agree with T that they're a mahoganyish timber of some denomination but there are hundreds of different types that are all similar, so it's a very difficult call to say exactly what they are - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 02 Apr 2022, 18:14

Hi David, glad you made it.
There are not as many people on this site as the american one, but there are a lot of professional woodworkers, so be patient. 8-)
Have you found and tried the wood database?

https://www.wood-database.com
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Apr 2022, 20:13

Wotcher from Mid-devon.

If board 1 is quarter sawn, I wouldn't mind a slice of that for tonewood.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DeadDog » 07 Apr 2022, 12:28

As soon as I know what I have, I will then naturally be looking to sell the whole lot...but who knows if there is a chance I will cut you a slide...that board is definitely wide enough at 35cms

Once the weather is better I will get back in the garage and do some further cleaning and take more detailed photos of one board and check on the wooddatabase site the macro endgrain shots...perhaps it will become more definite what species of timbre I have..I will post my better photos for feedback. I felt I was being stupid not being able to tell what species of wood these were but realise that it takes an experienced eye and ideally have the samples in your hands, but my naive feeling is that I have at least two types based on how they felt when worked, how heavy they were to move and the colour of the sandings...smell I honesly don't know as I think myself usless at describing smells/flavours...

If anyone knows of a place operating around south east london that buys this sort of thing, I would appreciate a point in their direction, otherwise its ebay; as time is ticking and I need the space by June for my house renovations. This is though an enjoyable educational adventure...I will never look at a piece of wood in the same way ;)
DeadDog
Seedling

Postby Robert » 07 Apr 2022, 14:34

Welcome to the forum.

I bought some flooring on ebay and wanted to identify the wood species. it looked a lot like mahogany but was very heavy. I measured the size of a board and weighed it to work out the density - and it was pretty dense. The only similar looking wood with the same density was Afzelia. problem solved. It may not be so easy for you but knowing the density will give you another factor to look up.

Good luck.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Apr 2022, 06:20

To sell it: https://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/

Be aware that he will measure lengths excluding the untreated split ends, as they (the split sections) are scrap. He's an expert on wood identification (very difficult from photos). You may have enough there to interest him.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)