It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:56

Cutting boards - how to do a youtube video well

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Cutting boards - how to do a youtube video well

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Aug 2022, 00:06

Peter originally posted "What Mieke Makes" possibly as a joke to show her sanding dance. However, since then I've watched a few of her YT vids, and I think she has nailed it in terms of youtube production.

In this video she is making two walnut and maple wood strip and wood block chopping boards. Obviously she knows that her appearance helps, but setting that aside I think her use of quite inexpensive tools and machinery, well within the DIY ambit and most budgets, is better than a great many men who claim to be woodworkers. She uses push sticks etc and safety gear in a way that seems fine to me.

The videos are easy to watch largely because the editing is superb for this genre. She fasts forward through repetitive tasks (eg glue ups) and the voice over method she uses is very crisp. Every key step is shown and explained simply. Very little waffle, no patronising, good quality work and delivered with a sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRZf5h8e0CY
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Cutting boards - how to do a youtube video well

Postby Lurker » 18 Aug 2022, 07:51

99% of her audience doesn’t watch it for the wood work, including you, you dirty old man (copyright, H.H. Corbet).
Bet Steve wishes he had a body like that :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Aug 2022, 08:10

My point was that the actual content is good. She makes 2 good quality and professional looking chopping boards with no faffing around and perfectly good techniques. Her approach is different to 99% of the men out there, who all talk to camera. She doesn:t: she edits the workflow down as much as possible and then does a voice over. Men like to ramble on and give their opinions on everything - she skips most of that and keeps to the point.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 18 Aug 2022, 08:11

Adrian, Not that I know anything about making videos, I do agree the production quality of the videos is excellent. In addition to the points you made the lighting levels in the workshop must be very high and the workshop is clutter free.
As Lurker says 99% of her audience does not remember anything about what she made.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Rezi » 18 Aug 2022, 08:35

Although she appears to know what she's doing and explains the process well I would make the following points -
Everything in her workshop looks like it has just been unboxed
She lacks a bit of confidence when operating the machinery and looks like she is trying not to break a nail
If she wasn't thrusting her 'personality' at the camera nobody would watch this.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby —Tom— » 18 Aug 2022, 09:32

There are quite a few voice over type videos, Mike Farrington springs to mind, so don’t think it’s a male vs female thing. YouTube does seem to push the click bait high energy style it’s algos though.

What’s the consensus on endgrain through a planer? A lot of YouTubers do it but the though always gives me apprehension. I’m planning a few cutting boards for Christmas gifts, and would like to do endgrain except for a way of levelling the blocks
—Tom—
Seedling

Name:

Postby Doug » 18 Aug 2022, 09:46

God knows why but I watched the video & all I can say is it doesn’t surprise me that folks post up on forums that they are having problems with bread boards etc cracking & coming apart if this is the quality (not) of woodworking they are learning from.
I could see the point, well both of them, as to why folks probably watch these videos but for me it’s just garbage regardless of the quality of the filming
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 18 Aug 2022, 09:51

—Tom— wrote: and would like to do endgrain except for a way of levelling the blocks

I levelled mine with a jig for the router. See half way down this page for pictures...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4469&start=25

I've not looked at any video links so can't comment on the thread topic btw.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 18 Aug 2022, 11:07

It was OK to watch at the level of seeing someone makes something that looked good at the end and would suit short attention span viewers/voyeurs
However anyone wanting make a similar item there was lots of vital detail left out in the method and dimensioning as well as dodgy table saw practice in the end grain method and no mention of chip out risk when end grain planing. Some of the chopsaw work had been edited and made a nonsense of the trimming
Blind following of her method will almost certainly lead to failure first time.
Not a video to try and learn from which is what I require from a youtube video.

nil points

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Aug 2022, 11:31

:lol:

Quite a predictable response by a bunch of woodworkers like us to a woman trying to enter a male dominated field. Personally I don't think her boards were as bad as some here make out. However, that was not why I posted the video: the point is not being grasped.

One of our most esteemed members puts up videos and now and again comments that he doesn't get many views. Others (all enthusiasts) say the videos are good and the member is question is clearly skilled. But still gets hardly any views in the grand scheme of things. Members here comment that they can't understand it.

Another video comes out, in exactly the same format, and again there is a dearth of views. It is a feature of typical human nature that we tend to repeat what we know. We should not therefore be surprised if we get the same outcome.

This young woman is trading on her looks to a degree, but she is not clueless and she is not good looking enough for people to go back just to see her. She is trouncing most of the male woodworkers in terms of views and subscriptions and she is doing it in a very conservative and judgemental male dominated arena. There are some strong positives in what she does. Production values are high, she does not use fancy gear (Ryobi not Festool), she makes accessible things, and she keeps it brief. She fits the you tube model and does so with some humour.

There is nothing wrong in my view with a tidy and uncluttered workshop. To me it is encouraging that women are happy to have a go. As to tool usage, she is quite careful and I have seen men who claim expertise doing FAR worse things with table saws etc.

However, if the preference here is to be negative about female efforts in this field and put her down, then that probably makes its own point. Anyone with aspirations to make remunerative you tube videos could consider watching with an open mind. :lol:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 18 Aug 2022, 12:00

I think it's a bit sad if a woman feels the need to make the most of her physique in order to get viewers for a woodworking video. I've seen one or two other even more blatant examples. The problem is IMO that it unintentionally backfires: those with an interest in woodwork will criticise that style and vaguely pervy types just won't be interested in the activity shown.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Aug 2022, 12:14

Ok, so here is another pervy one ...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccOkyALKNA

I think from a safety point of view she should use a bit more protection around the jugs 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby thetyreman » 18 Aug 2022, 12:28

it helps that she's a very attractive blonde woman! but I agree that the VO style does work well, it's also easier to make a video like that, you just edit it silently and can do the voice over in sections until you're happy with it, big fan of that style of video and no music.

as an example I won't name anybody but there's a guitar maker who uses hard house in all of his videos and EDM, I simply can't watch them because of the music, it's going to put a lot of people off if it's not chosen carefully, most people interested in guitar building videos will like guitar based music...he's probably only getting 1/2 the views he could because of it.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Dr.Al » 18 Aug 2022, 12:45

I'll prefix this by saying that I haven't watched the video in the link. I scanned through the other one by the same (I presume) youtuber that was posted recently. I have to agree with Andy Kev that I find it a bit depressing that youtubers feel the need to make the most of their physique. I find that side of it quite irritating to watch and I'd much rather the focus was on what they're doing, not who they are (but I also accept that I'm probably not a typical typical youtube viewer).

Whether the presenter is male or female is irrelevant to whether I watch a channel. The things that I like in a youtube video are:

• Well edited
  • Clearly shows what they're doing and how
  • Minimal waffle

Things that put me off:

• Too dogmatic in their opinions (a lot of Rob Cosman's stuff fits this mould, as does some of Paul Sellers', although perhaps not to the same level)
  • Too much standing and talking to the camera (although Stumpy Nubs does a lot of this and seems to get it right)
  • Too enthusiastic and shouty (when I was getting started I watched quite a bit of Tamar Hannah's stuff, but the enthusiasm got a bit wearing after a while, as did the ever-increasing set of eye-wateringly expensive tools that she started using as her channel got more popular)
  • Too much of a sales pitch in the videos (e.g. Rob Cosman, Jonathan Katz-Moses)

I think clickspring is probably still at the top of my favourite videos list: beautifully edited, focused on what he's doing, why and how without any posturing to the camera. This Old Tony also does well edited videos and seems to get the humour level right (which is very, very hard in my opinion). Neither of those are woodworkers of course.

When starting with metalwork I found blondihacks' youtube channel very instructive. She's another youtuber (like clickspring) that likes to keep the focus on the work rather than on their personality.

Matt Estlea likes his shouty introductions but once you've got through the first 20 seconds, the content is usually very good: well edited and not too dogmatic. Despite having watched loads of hand tool videos from David Charlesworth & Paul Sellers, I've still learnt new things from every Estlea video I've watched. He also works in metric, which gets a big thumbs up!

David Charlesworth videos are slow, but very relaxing and definitely very instructive. Paul Sellers' are great as long as you bear in mind that there are other ways to do things and, despite what he says, his way isn't the only one that works and might not be the best one for you.

I've also watched a couple of Tom Fidgen's and they can be quite relaxing to watch; I'm not sure I'd put them high up on my list though and probably haven't watched enough to really judge.

I do like Steve Maskery's videos (the bandsaw one I bought in particular was superb), but I think the focus is slightly different to what I'm more interested in now: most of the Maskery ones I've seen have been about (very clever and well designed) power tool jigs and I'm trying to use hand tools as much as I can.

I also like Neil Paskin's videos. Again, they're well edited and do a good job in explaining how and why he's doing what he's doing. Despite his "Hand Tools are Cool" logo, he's migrated to using power tools more and more since the early videos I've watched and, while I still enjoy watching them as they're very well edited, the content is perhaps not as relevant to me any more.

Oh, and Tally Ho is just awesome and I'd love to be able to wield chisel and plane in the way Leo Goolden does, especially in the earlier episodes when he was doing most of the work. My other half has no interest at all in woodworking, but still watches every episode of Tally Ho with me.

Overall I'd rather read a book most of the time though! I find the amount of information presented in youtube videos vs the written word frustrating (although I understand why as I guess there's more money in videos). A well-written explanation with a sensible number of photos can take a few minutes to read and, if you want to check a detail you can quickly scan to the relevant bit. A video presenting the same information is likely to be 15-20 minutes long and it can be very hard to check one detail again without rewatching a big chunk of it.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby StevieB » 18 Aug 2022, 12:46

I am going to agree with Adrian here - seems to be crafting things using a range of tools, bits of CNC and inlay as well as standard woodworking kit. Clearly a channel used to promote her own line of stuff and she has links to everything in her description at least in the last video link posted. It is not high end exquisite craftsmanship, but it is not sold or marketed as this. Neither is it marketed as a 'how-to' video series, but as examples of cutting boards or crafting supplies for people who are vaguely competent to see what can be achieved, it is fine. Gender of the presented is not an issue as far as I am concerned - they are competent and not overtly using gender as a marketing gimmick, I think a lot of this is in the mind of the viewer rather than a deliberate attempt on the part of the presenter!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Aug 2022, 13:13

Stevie B makes some good points an I like Dr Al's analysis.

Must admit, I hardly ever watch wood videos as mostly they are beyond tedious, and I already can do pretty much anything I need to. Tally Ho is good but boy does he need to get that boat finished now! I just watched the one showing internal fit out, and it is quality work but it's only a 45ft boat and he's been at it for about 5 years. Would be interesting to know the spend on it. The boat has some historic value perhaps, but it's getting on for 120 years old and I wonder what the market would value it at when its finished.

What I do watch a lot of, is classical piano videos. Both performance and teaching. The style is radically different as really all musicians want to see is the keyboard and the score so we can follow both simultaneously. Production value is paramount with these and generally they are miles better than anything I have seen on the amateur wood sites. Classical piano music performance videos are pretty non-discriminatory in that a lot of the very best players are women and cover a huge age range (Martha Agerich for example is 81 and still a top rated musician). The attractive ones do use that aspect, which is totally fair enough, but they still have to have the ability to play very difficult repertoire extremely well.

Most of these get a large number of subs and views. I can't think of a single one pushing products although tour promotion is a feature at times.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 18 Aug 2022, 13:31

In all honesty some comments made here are like going back to the 70's!
Why so many references to the video makers physique?
Really???
Maybe that's what she looks like and maybe they are the clothes that she likes to wear.
Not really acceptable.... if you don't like what she makes or how she makes it fair enough but let's leave the sexism out?
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Aug 2022, 13:46

AJB Temple wrote:What I do watch a lot of, is classical piano videos.

Agree. Some symphonies or concertos I would download 3 different versions.
Agerich is a favourite.
1982 Rachmaninov 3 with Chailly - both young.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Dr.Al » 18 Aug 2022, 14:03

Raymedullary wrote:In all honesty some comments made here are like going back to the 70's!
Why so many references to the video makers physique?
Really???
Maybe that's what she looks like and maybe they are the clothes that she likes to wear.
Not really acceptable.... if you don't like what she makes or how she makes it fair enough but let's leave the sexism out?

I'm sorry if what I said came across as sexist: it certainly wasn't deliberate. I couldn't give a monkey's what youtubers wear (within reason: I don't think I could bring myself to watch a youtube channel where the woodworker was wearing a mankini, regardless of their gender...). What I was trying to get at in my post...

Dr.Al wrote:I have to agree with Andy Kev that I find it a bit depressing that youtubers feel the need to make the most of their physique. I find that side of it quite irritating to watch and I'd much rather the focus was on what they're doing, not who they are (but I also accept that I'm probably not a typical typical youtube viewer).

... was that I find it irritating when the camera is focusing on the youtuber's physique rather than on the what they're doing: this must have been a deliberate choice by the youtuber. Obviously I can choose not to watch their videos (and I will), but I was trying to highlight the things that (for me) make a good and bad youtube video. Focusing on the person rather than the wood is on the bad list.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Doug » 18 Aug 2022, 14:32

9fingers wrote:It was OK to watch at the level of seeing someone makes something that looked good at the end and would suit short attention span viewers/voyeurs
However anyone wanting make a similar item there was lots of vital detail left out in the method and dimensioning as well as dodgy table saw practice in the end grain method and no mention of chip out risk when end grain planing. Some of the chopsaw work had been edited and made a nonsense of the trimming
Blind following of her method will almost certainly lead to failure first time.
Not a video to try and learn from which is what I require from a youtube video.

nil points

Bob

I completely agree Bob, I started to wonder if in fact the whole thing was a bit of a hoax channel aimed just generating money.

On the chamfered board she only shows chamfering the long edges, her table saw doesn’t have the capacity to cut across the short grain so how did that miraculously become chamfered, no mention of that.
The end grain board when in clamps shows the strips no where near flush with one another, she would have needed to plane a considerable amount off both surfaces to get them flat yet the finished board seems no thinner than her original stock, nor does she show the planing of this which given how uneven it was would have been pretty tricky just through a thicknesser.

By the end of the video I was left wondering if the finished boards were the same ones I’d seen being made but of course that’s not the point of the video, like most you tube videos it a money making venture designed to suck in the gullible be it with cats, dogs or inappropriately dressed women.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Aug 2022, 14:42

Men judging whether women are "appropriately" dressed or not :eusa-doh:

Appropriate for whom? Her clothing is safe. Is she not allowed to choose what she wears? This is exactly the kind of thing that makes many women fed up with men and accuse us of misogyny.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 18 Aug 2022, 14:57

100% agree.
A man wearing tight jeans and a vest would be completely fine and unworthy of comment. Put the same on a woman and men call it innapropriate. Confused?
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Aug 2022, 15:48

Just wait to you see Steve M in his next video. He wears that mankini like a glove :o
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 18 Aug 2022, 15:52

AJB Temple wrote:Men judging whether women are "appropriately" dressed or not :eusa-doh:

Appropriate for whom? Her clothing is safe. Is she not allowed to choose what she wears? This is exactly the kind of thing that makes many women fed up with men and accuse us of misogyny.

I'm not judging her at all, she can wear what ever she wants.If I'm judging anyone it's the gullible watching it thinking it's anything to do with quality woodwork which clearly it ain't.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Aug 2022, 16:01

To be fair Doug your last sentence did suggest she fell within the category of (quote) "inappropriately dressed women". Many women, perhaps those of an age between say less than 15 to over 105, may regard that as a judgement from a man about the appropriateness in his view of what she wears, without any regard for her freedom to decide for herself what is "appropriate".

Most of us have wives, daughters, sisters, colleagues, employees and friends who are women and these days some of them take a dim view of being judged and commented upon.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking