It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:36

Double up your sockets

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Double up your sockets

Postby Steve Maskery » 11 May 2021, 22:29

I don't know about you, but I'm always having to unplug one thing in order to make room for another. The main culprits seem to be chargers. The more cordless tools we get the more chargers we get too. Coupled with things that are plugged in all the time, like the alarm and the radio, it means that, even though I have a double socket every 1.2m around the workshop, there are some places where the electrics start to get very congested.

Toolstation to the rescue! I've fitted a couple of these:
[url]=https://www.toolstation.com/socket-converter/p83705Image[/url]

Dead easy to install (they fit either a single or a double back-box) and do what they say. Assuming that the total load on each does not exceed 13A, it saves a lot of bother. I shall fit some more.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Double up your sockets

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 05:16

If they are on a single socket, be very careful levering out plugs. the sideways force will easily snap the plastic around the retaining screws. Even on a double it needs bearing in mind. Trust me :shock:

Our house was built off plan. I had to make them amend it because there was only 1 single socket in each bedroom, and only three singles in a large living room. The order of the day was "double up". 8-)

Mind, i thought I had future proofed the house by having a phone and a TV socket in every room and two in the lounge. Then along came wi fi and internet TV, and none of them have ever been used. :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby clogs » 12 May 2021, 06:20

also I have found that the double plugs with a built USB phone charger a boon.....

althouh I live in Crete our house gets rented out in the summer and as we go around the house updating every room will get English sockets as well.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 12 May 2021, 07:12

Those of us who are biased towards hand tools are either wondering what you guys are on about, or are in Kryten's very best smug-mode. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 12 May 2021, 08:18

Mike :eusa-clap: now where's the "smug Kryten" emoticon :lol:

clogs wrote:also I have found that the double plugs with a built USB phone charger a boon.....

I don't like these. Most of them are on all the time - the charger is not connected via the switch. They may not support fast charging. And worst of all, many of them are shoddy. Including ones where the Earth terminals - two provided - are only connected via the back box, assuming you use a metal one. And in other cases inadequate isolation between live and the output. Make sure you fit a reputable brand if you must use them - on all the time + low quality = house fire.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby AJB Temple » 12 May 2021, 08:32

I agree with Tony. My partner asked me to look at the ones in her kitchen - she felt there was a fishy burnt smell. USB point was charred behind the plate and I ended up swapping the sockets out. Even with good quality switchable ones the technology quickly makes them redundant.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 08:48

For indoors I made a tidy, for all her gizmo's.
A 4 outlet charger underneath, holds the TV remotes, and also the drinks coasters, and only takes up one mains plug.
IMG_3129.JPG
(229.01 KiB)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 08:51

And for mine, tucked under a kitchen cabinet, another 4 off of one socket
https://pbase.com/john_cooper/image/166877071
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 May 2021, 08:59

Mike G wrote:Those of us who are biased towards hand tools are either wondering what you guys are on about, or are in Kryten's very best smug-mode. :lol:

Now for some reason you are one person I never would have pegged as a Red Dwarf fan! :)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Guineafowl21 » 12 May 2021, 10:50

Sheffield Tony wrote:Mike :eusa-clap: now where's the "smug Kryten" emoticon :lol:

Couldn’t find that, but here’s a hand tool enthusiast: :mrgreen:

818D5425-6452-4F3B-AD49-8455EEF6BEE6.jpeg
(91.15 KiB)

“Oh no, Mr Flibble hasn’t finished his project yet, but he says his floor is covered with such beautiful shavings...”
Last edited by Guineafowl21 on 12 May 2021, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
Guineafowl21
Sapling

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 12 May 2021, 11:12

Mike G wrote:Those of us who are biased towards hand tools are either wondering what you guys are on about, or are in Kryten's very best smug-mode. :lol:

When I fitted my woodworking bench, I installed a row of 6 sockets behind the bench as "you can never have too many". I then proceeded to discover the pleasures of hand tools and cordless power tools and have only ever used one of them, and that one only very occasionally.

The metalworking area of my workshop, however, has about 22 sockets, with 16 of them permanently occupied. I've got four more right by the garage door (two on each wall) for easy access when working outside. Oh, and a 32 A socket for the lathe and for when I'm doing higher-than-normal current welding.
Last edited by Dr.Al on 12 May 2021, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Phil Pascoe » 12 May 2021, 11:40

In my old 20' x 20' workshop I had 25 doubles. I found I had 17 things plugged in permanently, these were all in sockets that were near inaccessible, leaving others empty for day to day use.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Mike G » 12 May 2021, 11:57

TrimTheKing wrote:

Now for some reason you are one person I never would have pegged as a Red Dwarf fan! :)

For a long time, the only way to tell if a comedy series was going to be funny was whether or not it had a colour in the title: Red Dwarf, Black Books, and Green Wing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking