It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

Rare and Interesting Woodworking-related Books and Pamphlets

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Rare and Interesting Woodworking-related Books and Pamph

Postby Trevanion » 18 Jun 2021, 19:10

Right, here are your missing plate, I downsized the photos in my original post as there's usually not much need for super high-quality photos and it saves time uploading them to the site, these following ones haven't been resized so they're at their highest quality for you Andy 8-)

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 18 Jun 2021, 19:19

Brilliant!

Many thanks Dan. That's service you just don't get anywhere else.

I owe you one!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby AndyT » 18 Jun 2021, 22:13

Thanks again Dan. I printed them all out, and this time found plate 72, so I was only missing the other two, which are now in their proper places in the book.

I looked into it a bit more, and some things became clearer as I started reading it.

For books without a date, the British Library catalogue often provides one, put in [square brackets] to indicate that it wasn't printed in the book. Their entry, at http://explore.bl.uk/BLVU1:LSCOP-ALL:BLL01003580003 shows 1857 to 1859 as the publication date, suggesting it was a serial publication.

There's another clue on page 3, where the editor writes that including some idea of the contents is "a matter of justice to subscribers who are solicited to take about thirty parts of a serial." The old idea, started by Joseph Moxon, of selling textbooks in weekly parts, was a good one and has lasted into the present day.

I noticed that the title page says that Edward Lance Tarbuck contributed articles to The Builder and wondered if they might have published a review of his Encyclopedia. I've not found one, but I did find this little ad in the Builder from 30 January 1858 which confirms that it was indeed issued in 30 parts at a shilling each or 15 at two shillings. Not needing to find the full cost in one go could have made it a bit more accessible to ambitious working carpenters and fits with the bindings of our two copies being a bit different.

Ad for Tarbuck encyclopedia.png
(302.48 KiB)

I know that it was often up to the bookbinder to summarise a long title in a form which would fit on the spine, as my brother trained as a bookbinder and told me.

I also found that the Hathi Trust has a complete scan of the same work, freely readable and downloadable.
So anyone who doesn't want to fill their shelves with Victorian paper can have a compact pdf version and see what we are wittering on about!

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100977557
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 11 Jul 2021, 10:41

I picked this up, "A Glossary of Wood" by Thomas Corkhill. It's not particularly old at 1979 (I think the first edition was published in the 40s but wasn't reprinted until this edition, so early copies are very rare), but its a sort of woodworker's dictionary with just about every possible term you could imagine being in there and explained concisely, with an illustration to accompany on occasion. I imagine it would be a very handy book to have on hand as a supplementary aid when reading through older woodworking books where a lot of terms aren't explained by the author, especially as a beginner.

Thomas Corkhill is mostly known as a contributor to the "Joinery and Carpentry" series of six books that were edited by Richard Greenhalgh.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 11 Jul 2021, 11:18

Thanks, that looks much more useful than the title suggests and better than the Woodworker's Dictionary from the 70s. There is now one less secondhand copy available. ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 05 Sep 2021, 17:21

To expand on my growing collection of Victorian-era Carpentry and Joinery books, I managed to get a really nice copy of "Practical Carpentry, Joinery, and Cabinet Making" by Peter Nicholson and Thomas Tredgold, 1852. Peter Nicholson was one of the very first individuals to write books on the subject of Carpentry and Joinery and the information held within still holds up to this day, Thomas Tredgold was also another notable author on the subject as well as being a very talented engineer in his own right, who unfortunately passed quite young in his forties.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 05 Sep 2021, 17:38

Yea! Nice one.

Ok Dan, I think we're all ready for some wip's now...;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 05 Sep 2021, 20:18

AndyT wrote:Ok Dan, I think we're all ready for some wip's now...;)

Wait, you want me to actually make something? :o
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 02 Oct 2021, 13:18

Another one for the "Trevanion and AndyT talk about old woodworking books" thread :lol:

A five-volume set of Carpentry and Joinery by John Ednie, 1932. This set is great, I always wondered why these books commanded high prices because they looked very similar to the sets of "Joinery and Carpentry" by Richard Greenhalgh which go for much less, but I can see why now as this set is immensely detailed, written clearly by the absolute best in their fields at the time, instead of giving John Ednie all the credit I'll note the authors below which also shows just how many topics this set covers:

Practical Geometry by Thomas Brown, A.I.Struct.E., F.S.A.Scot.
Strength of Timber and Timber Framing by Alexander Cruickshank, A.I.Struct.E.
Partitions by William Paterson, A.R.I.B.A
Doors and their Architraves by John Ednie
Windows and Skylights by Robert Robertson
Stairs and Handrailings by William Paterson, A.R.I.B.A
Roofs by Joseph Wilson, A.R.I.B.A, D.A. (Glas.)
Domes and Pendetives By Thomas Brown, A.I.Struct.E., F.S.A.Scot.
Vaults and Niches by Thomas Brown, A.I.Struct.E., F.S.A.Scot.
Floors and Ceilings by James B. Ednie
Parquet and Wood-Block Flooring by Eric MacDougall
Panelling and Chimney-Pieces by William Paterson, A.R.I.B.A
Interior Finishings by John Ednie
Timber Bridges by W. Blackadder, D.Sc, A.M.Inst.C.E
Joints by Malcolm McLullich,
Gates and Fences by John Ednie,
Scaffolding by James A. Weatherly
Woodturning by William Paterson A.R.I.B.A
Cabinetmaking by John Ednie
Church Furniture by Andrew Ednie
Building Law by E.S. Roscoe, Barrister-at-Law, and Norman M.L. Walker, B.A., LL.B.
Estimating by W.E. Davis and Charles S. Gray
Shop Management by A.C. Remnant and John W. Milne
Temporary Structures by G.L. Sutcliffe, and John W. Milne
Woodworking Tools and Machinery by A. Mackintosh and John W. Milne

I think you can see just how much these cover, they'll teach you how to make a chair, a door, a cathedral vault ceiling, an elliptical staircase, and even a railway bridge!

I think I recognise a couple of the illustrations in this set, since it's published by the Gresham company I wouldn't be surprised some is recycled from the earlier set of books (also in this thread) by G.L. Sutcliffe "The Modern Carpenter and Joiner and Cabinetmaker", I'll have to get both books out and compare but I haven't got the time as I'm right in the middle of a large railway bridge project I must get on with.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 02 Oct 2021, 13:38

Trevanion wrote:Another one for the "Trevanion and AndyT talk about old woodworking books" thread :lol:

I'll have to get both books out and compare but I haven't got the time as I'm right in the middle of a large railway bridge project I must get on with.

:D :D

It's a scary thought, isn't it? You've read the book, now build the bridge...

But when you think about just how much was built in the short period covered in this thread, including all the canals, docks, railways, churches, hotels, banks, mills, factories and millions of smaller buildings, I do think time spent looking at these books increases your respect for the work that our recent forebears did.

And thanks for the tip about another set to look out for. How's the expanding bookcase coming along?
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 02 Oct 2021, 13:56

AndyT wrote:It's a scary thought, isn't it? You've read the book, now build the bridge...

I mean, it's only a train weighing several tens of tonnes carrying hundreds of passengers, what could possibly go wrong? :eusa-think:

:eusa-doh:

AndyT wrote:But when you think about just how much was built in the short period covered in this thread, including all the canals, docks, railways, churches, hotels, banks, mills, factories and millions of smaller buildings, I do think time spent looking at these books increases your respect for the work that our recent forebears did.

Would it be wrong to consider the period of 1800-1900 the "Golden Age" of British architecture? It seems most of the highest quality and most revered work comes from this period, especially in woodwork.

AndyT wrote:And thanks for the tip about another set to look out for. How's the expanding bookcase coming along?

It isn't expanding, I've had to be rid of some books which don't mean that much to me, mostly just naff DIY/Hobby books of no value from the 70s and 80s that I've inherited off individuals back when I was starting in woodworking.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 02 Oct 2021, 14:43

Quite agree about this period and the work produced.
just looking at that page of joints most of which I’ve never even considered doing – it’s almost as if they made some of them up just for the book?
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Trevanion » 15 Jun 2023, 22:35

Been a while since there was a post in here!

I recently picked up this little gem. Many people will be familiar with George Ellis’ “Modern Practical Joinery” which is considered one of if not the best book on the subject of architectural woodwork, however you will not have likely seen this little rare book by Ellis which could be considered a companion volume to “Modern Practical Joinery” as it gives more detail in certain subjects not fully explored in the original. It’s full of excellent plate drawings which we all love to see.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 16 Jun 2023, 06:29

Thanks that’s cleared something up I’ve often wondered about, when you see two doors fastened edge to edge like that – double margin doors – that’s another thing I didn’t know what they were called, I’ve always thought they looked weak at that joint I hadn’t realised there were several double wedges pushed through which would strengthen it enormously. Cheers Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Windows » 16 Jun 2023, 08:24

I wonder how many times I’ve seen a double margin door and just thought it was two doors?
Windows
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 16 Jun 2023, 16:32

What a brilliant find! I had no idea that book existed. And I love the weary tone of the preface - it must have been so frustrating for someone with 40 years in the trade to see rival books with misleading content.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 16 Jun 2023, 19:16

Cabinetman wrote:Thanks that’s cleared something up I’ve often wondered about, when you see two doors fastened edge to edge like that – double margin doors – that’s another thing I didn’t know what they were called, I’ve always thought they looked weak at that joint I hadn’t realised there were several double wedges pushed through which would strengthen it enormously. Cheers Ian

I suppose the modern equivalent would be to use draw bolts rather than folding wedges, I imagine bolts would've been a very expensive option back in the early half of the century for such an application when there was a dearth of timber scraps available to made wedges from.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 16 Jun 2023, 19:18

AndyT wrote:What a brilliant find! I had no idea that book existed. And I love the weary tone of the preface - it must have been so frustrating for someone with 40 years in the trade to see rival books with misleading content.

I'd never heard of it until I saw the eBay listing either. Fortunately, if you wish to read it Google Books have a full copy scanned free-to-view.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TDtZAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jun 2023, 08:37

What always strikes me with these books is the names that exist for everything. I have no idea that some of this terminology exists.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Jun 2023, 08:54

Just cruising through this thread again, I'm impressed with the quality of technical drawing that was evident in those times. For example the conservatory lean to, which depicts the glass beautifully.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jun 2023, 12:53

AJB Temple wrote:Just cruising through this thread again, I'm impressed with the quality of technical drawing that was evident in those times.

When I first started teaching technical drawing or TD was a very popular subject and at my first school in Camberley, the Welsh teacher was a complete martinet and absolutely insisted on absolute perfection in all his student's work. At that time (late 70's) the then current standard was BS 7308 and heaven help the unfortunate student who didn't stick to it rigorously - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 17 Jun 2023, 17:51

I am intrigued by one of your copied plates.

This one:

pIvAp5C.jpg
(265.29 KiB)

Looks a bit like my main tower.

Tower roof.jpg
(108.54 KiB)

How long have they been doing it that way, I wonder?
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Previous

Return to General Woodworking