It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:56

Super High EP

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Super High EP

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Apr 2021, 17:05

The current of three projects presently under construction is being made with some very unlikely looking 'pippy' English Oak, which for the most part goes through the p/t (taking very fine cuts) without too much botheration. One or two bits (show door frames) have über-wonky grain which goes up, down and sideways with the pips and I couldn't even plane it with a LV LA jack, very tight mouth and 42deg honed blade, so effective pitch was 54deg. It was still tearing out with large gashes in the surface :(

So I switched over to over to a blade (I have several :eusa-whistle: ) that was honed to 47deg so the effective pitch was now 59deg.

A miracle happened...all the tear out disappeared even taking a moderate cut. Muchly impressed - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Super High EP

Postby Mike G » 21 Apr 2021, 17:48

That's never been an option I've had. I've heard it can work, although I've never taken too much notice of the angles. I know I would have tried a close set cap iron in an orthodox plane, then reached for the scrapers. I always worry that bits of wood like that are going to move. As you know I'm not a big one for fancy timbers or fancy grain, and one of the reasons for that is that gnarly stuff can misbehave.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Apr 2021, 17:58

Mike G wrote:That's never been an option I've had. I've heard it can work, although I've never taken too much notice of the angles. I know I would have tried a close set cap iron in an orthodox plane, then reached for the scrapers. I always worry that bits of wood like that are going to move. As you know I'm not a big one for fancy timbers or fancy grain, and one of the reasons for that is that gnarly stuff can misbehave.

This stuff is as 'dry as dry' Mike as I've had it in the 'shop for ages and as far as I can tell, it's not going to move. I was a bit suspicious at first and wondered whether a super high effective pitch would work, but it did which is one of the advantages of the low angle, bevel up planes. The blade was honed btw in the Veritas Mk2 guide so it's dead easy to know exactly what angle is being honed - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 22 Apr 2021, 09:32

That’s interesting, I wonder if you could get the same effect by putting a small wedge piece between the top of the frog and the blade – just a thought. The pieces of gnarly stuff and movement, it’s always best even if it is very dry to cut out the pieces and then put them aside for a month particularly for doorframes, in fact I think I would cut out a couple spare whilst I was at it. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Cabinetman » 22 Apr 2021, 09:40

Sorry scrub that that would have the opposite effect to the one required unless the spacer was put between the bottom of the blade and the frog, I suppose it would be possible to angle the frog slightly but it’s probably just easier to do what you did and rehone the blade. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Apr 2021, 09:52

Cabinetman wrote:That’s interesting, I wonder if you could get the same effect by putting a small wedge piece between the top of the frog and the blade – just a thought. The pieces of gnarly stuff and movement, it’s always best even if it is very dry to cut out the pieces and then put them aside for a month particularly for doorframes, in fact I think I would cut out a couple spare whilst I was at it. Ian

As I said above, I've had these particular bits of 'pippy' oak for ages and they're not (as far as I can tell) going 'anywhere'. The final size was snuck up on over several days and there was no sign of movement so I'm confident that they're all pretty stable.

Cabinetman wrote: I suppose it would be possible to angle the frog slightly but it’s probably just easier to do what you did and rehone the blade. Ian

It would be a proper faff to angle the frog but there was never any need as I have six :o blades for my Veritas low angle jack. I keep four permanently honed at 42deg and two for gnarly stuff at 47deg - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 26 Apr 2021, 18:28

Belt sander :eusa-shifty:
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Apr 2021, 19:22

Lurker wrote:Belt sander :eusa-shifty:

Yep, that's a perfectly legitimate approach. Belt sander followed by a scraper, for the best of both worlds.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2021, 05:37

Mike G wrote:
Lurker wrote:Belt sander :eusa-shifty:

Yep, that's a perfectly legitimate approach. Belt sander followed by a scraper, for the best of both worlds.

For finishing after assembly; possibly or I'd use a ROS or small pad sander but not for bringing the board to it's finished dimension prior to doing the joinery - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2021, 07:50

You can't beat 'thicknessing by drum sander' ! Gets over all that faffing about with different angles :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2021, 07:54

RogerS wrote:You can't beat 'thicknessing by drum sander' ! Gets over all that faffing about with different angles :D

Then you've got to remove all the sanding scratches with a card scraper :D One particular panel had to go through my ds with 60g paper and it's taken a while this morning to remove all the scratches - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Philly » 27 Apr 2021, 08:07

Rob
I've made quite a few smoothers at 60 degree pitch over the years and it really makes the difference on difficult stuff. It does make the plane a bit harder to use as you need to apply more downward pressure to keep it in the cut but worth it for certain tasks.
Cheers
Philly
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2021, 08:25

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:You can't beat 'thicknessing by drum sander' ! Gets over all that faffing about with different angles :D

Then you've got to remove all the sanding scratches with a card scraper :D One particular panel had to go through my ds with 60g paper and it's taken a while this morning to remove all the scratches - Rob

Yebbut, it takes minutes to change the paper.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2021, 09:03

RogerS wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

Yebbut, it takes minutes to change the paper.

Can't be ar$ed :lol: ; 60g is my 'go to' loading, no longer sold by Ax (for the 16-32) unless I've missed somat on my Ax web search :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking