It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:52

Laser level outside

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Laser level outside

Postby AJB Temple » 24 Apr 2021, 08:14

There may not be a solution to this. I have a DeWalt DW088K laser level which will produce horizontal and vertical crossed lines with a red beam. Normally I use this on a camera tripod for levelling and vertical alignment when fitting cupboards shelving or pictures.

If I try to use it outside, in sunlight, the lines are invisible even though well within the normal projection distance. The intent is to use it to set a slab level between two existing buildings and inside some concrete formwork. And then set out post verticals.

Does anyone have a visibility tip that I am unaware of to make it visible? Other than wait until it gets dark?

Thanks, Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Laser level outside

Postby RogerS » 24 Apr 2021, 08:37

You need specific laser levels for outside work as they're much brighter. As you've found out. You can try a piece if white card, gradually moving it away, when it starts to lose the laser beam. hammer in stake to the height. shift the laser level to that point, reset and do the next length.

Or get a water level.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2021, 09:09

Stay up late, Adrian, and do it at dusk. Or find a long straight edge and spirit level.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 24 Apr 2021, 10:32

I am pretty sure you can get safety glasses with coloured lenses to enhance the laser output.
Like MikeG I waited until dusk.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby 9fingers » 24 Apr 2021, 10:38

Set the laser to stun and it will draw the lines for you on the surroundings :lol:

Like others I've waited until dusk for simplicity.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby canoemoose » 24 Apr 2021, 11:11

I also waited for dusk.
If you're more impatient, though, you can get a laser receiver that works even in bright sunlight, as long as you know rougly where the beam is:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-de089 ... ctor/2374d
canoemoose
Seedling

Name: Matt

Postby AJB Temple » 24 Apr 2021, 20:33

Sundown is the obvious answer and what I have had to do. Thanks all.

I do have a long stabila, but in this case I have a tricky concrete base level to do and I wanted a line to mark along inside my formwork.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 24 Apr 2021, 20:40

I couldn't get away with them when I was building so I got one that beeps, extremely accurate I can set out corners over a good distance within a mm or so, would have been perfect for setting out Mike's garage.
I don't use it so much now but surprising how often it comes in handy.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 11:14

How does the beep thing work Lons? Do you have to have a receptor? I can't quite get my head around how you know where to mark the lines.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spb » 25 Apr 2021, 11:32

You have a receiver device which beeps to tell you when it's lined up exactly with the laser (or how close it is, so you can get there easily). What I've generally seen done is to set up the laser some distance above or below, depending what you're building, then clamp the receiver to a piece of wood that's marked with the various levels you need. Take the assembly around to your reference points, line up the receiver, then transfer the pencil marks across.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 12:07

Thanks, I get it now.

I don't have a receiver and having looked they are expensive.

This laser is going to be sold and I will replace with a green one perhaps for my next job, but this will do for now. I find them very useful but it needs to be visible outdoors without me going on the night shift.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 25 Apr 2021, 23:01

AJB Temple wrote:Thanks, I get it now.

I don't have a receiver and having looked they are expensive.

This laser is going to be sold and I will replace with a green one perhaps for my next job, but this will do for now. I find them very useful but it needs to be visible outdoors without me going on the night shift.

Steve is right Adrian although they aren't the same as a normal laser, still class 1 laser but doesn't emit a light that's visible and will work only with the receiver. You set up the laser which won't rotate unless levelled to the built in bubble, set the receiver to whatever height on the staff you need so if say a wall, rest the bottom of the staff on it and slide the receiver until you get a solid tone instead of beeps, lock the receiver and it's good to go anywhere within range.

Much more useful than the type that emits a red line, I use mine mostly with a calibrated alloy staff though many times have clamped it to a bit of slaters lath, laser on a tripod but also used at height on a shelf or top of blockwork, you can use the top of the staff e.g.I used it to exactly level suspended ceilings. I've used it to level foundations, roofs , patios ( you can get the fall exact), tiling you name it.
This is mine, I bought it s/h from a college who were upgrading to total station equipment, that was the best part of 20 years ago and it was last professionally calibrated in 1999 though I regularly check it for accuracy.
It's been bashed around as you can see from the cracked case now repaired and so far it's been bombproof, original rechargeble battery still holds charge it's one of the best tools I ever invested it.
Attachments
IMG_0396.JPG
(179.02 KiB)
IMG_0394.JPG
(201.77 KiB)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Apr 2021, 00:55

Thanks for the explanation. I had never even heard of these. Sounds perfect for site layouts.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking