It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:34

Part 9 Bedoin workshop

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Part 9 Bedoin workshop

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 11:38

:shock: Maybe another build thread.

Started Friday. It took all day, yes ALL DAY, just to shift some wood around. Plan being to sort through stuff I had collected to make a completely different design, get it out of the way and chalked up ready to use.

When I was 35 I could (and did) lift a 6" by 10 or 12 foot beam on my own. And could shift quite a few around. Now I am older and wider and, it transpires, a weakling. Hence Mrs AJB T spent all day helping me. She's a trooper. But she will extract compensation

IMG_1600.jpeg
There are three piles like this. All sticked up and chalked now.
(529.7 KiB)

This (above pic) is all 6" (150mm). Mostly cut from 5.6 metre lengths, so that I could get it on the van I used last year. This was a bit stupid as since then I radically changed the building design and needed longer lengths, so now will have to adapt with extra intermediate posts...

IMG_1601.jpeg
Posts in 8"
(653.47 KiB)

These are the 8" posts I will use, set on dwarf walls about 60cm high. These will be dense concrete blocks rendered. Posts are about 2.2m. I have 16 here but these are the 8 I need for this building. There are 14 posts in my design, but 6 of them will be only 6".

This is a half built stack of mostly 4". Yesterday we shifted the rest of it which consists of some much longer pieces (5m fish) and a dozen 2" by 10" planks 2.5m long that will be used as the oak sole plate on the dwarf wall. Normally I use 6" beam, but this time I want to use up these planks. They will go on a thick much bed as there is a bit of twist in one or two (not that you can see as when I took the picture they were still behind my outbuildings!

All of this oak has been cut for some years now. It will not be "green". I am going to plane all of it just before use.
Last edited by AJB Temple on 02 Jun 2021, 20:55, edited 7 times in total.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: I really hate wood.

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 11:38

All of the pictures have done their weird rotation thing that happens on WHII. But you get the idea.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 25 Apr 2021, 11:48

On a more positive note, you must be fitter than you would be if you just sat at a desk all day and never lifted anything heavier than a coffee cup.
And you have a lot of really nice wood!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Apr 2021, 11:59

AJB Temple wrote:All of the pictures have done their weird rotation thing that happens on WHII. But you get the idea.

The way I get round that little conundrum is to stick them all on the desktop, then click on them individually to drop them into 'Preview', then rotate the image 4 times and then save back to the desktop. Upload as normal.

We look forward to hearing about SWIMBO's retribution, but without pics, it didn't happen :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 12:00

I might make it my next project to design some pretend wood that will replace wood. It needs to be light, strong, not need planing, and be easily cut to length with a £4 hand saw.

My wife has gone on strike today, having spent a good part of yesterday shifting concrete blocks two at a time in a barrow. This is the kind of stuff I have to put up with.

Today is a partial rest day. Hence baking bread currently and wasting my time on the internet.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 12:01

Rob, the way I get round it is much simpler. It's called the "do nothing" option, which is my favourite. Eventually a super helpful mod just fixes it somehow. :D
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Apr 2021, 12:07

AJB Temple wrote:
My wife has gone on strike today, having spent a good part of yesterday shifting concrete blocks two at a time in a barrow. This is the kind of stuff I have to put up with.

It's the times we live in Adrian; you just can't get the staff these days :lol: Could you not draft your man in to assist? :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 25 Apr 2021, 12:26

What you actually building Adrian ?

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Apr 2021, 13:38

Yeah, that lot would have been a pain to shift. But marking them up as you have will save endless frustration later.

Free oak. FREE oak. Those are two of the sweetest words in the language, and used in conjunction......well, they just make other people sick with envy. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 25 Apr 2021, 13:45

Indeed, all of that wood is now sorted out and in the right places.
Believe it or not, it's come to my attention that there are establishments all over the country where people pick up heavy things that are already tidy and put them down in the same positions, just for the pleasure of doing it. And what's more, to add to the madness, they pay for the privilege!! Often a monthly subscription, even if they don't go! ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 18:38

Such people are usually called Jim I believe.

My dad was called Jim and he screwed his knees up by doing running, before doing a lot of running about was a thing. Then he took up cycling, which gives you a sore bum and dodgy hips.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Wood hate Part 2 - what's it all about?

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 18:47

Anyway, moving on, the building is going to join up the end of our barn (which will get re-clad when I get some other jobs done) and the new kitchen and adjacent utility room.

Here is a pic to give you a rough idea. I only have a plan scale drawing on A3, which I will see if I can find a way of posting legibly, with a few bits redacted.

IMG_1613.jpeg
Current state of play after 3 days solid work
(465.79 KiB)

My original intention was to connect a corridor to the house, and add a small loo that could serve the kitchen and be readily handy from the garden. There is another newly refurbed (by me) loo downstairs in what used to be a hallway, but it is not close to the kitchen and we don't want guests traipsing through the house if they get caught short, or if my cooking gives them the runs.

Fair warning: I am not Mike and so mine will take ages. Also I am banned from posting many photos.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Wood hate Part 2 - what's it all about?

Postby RogerS » 25 Apr 2021, 18:56

AJB Temple wrote:... Also I am banned from posting many photos.

Quite right, too. The crick in my neck ...... :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 19:02

Still turning the images. Drives me crazy and puts me off WIP threads :shock:

Work so far:

Shift, stick up and label all wood. Including clear up storage area and have a bonfire
Remove quite a bit of cladding and bonfire it. (New verb "to bonfire")
Remove a part brick and part feather clad wall, gate and two deeply embedded posts.
Dig two deep corner holes.
Fit (very heavy) cement boards (for later cladding or rendering).
Re-locate nasty plastic downpipe. Temporary - will be changed to steel galvanised.
Clear off 2 cubic metres of limestone chippings, barrow away and brush site clean.
Lay sprinkling of sand, brushed over and then membrane material.
Shift quite a lot of concrete blocks and start doing formwork layout using scaffold boards.
Final layout still to be adjusted when my back feels less sore.

Next jobs will be finish the setting out dead on and mark levels.
Then lay mesh reinforcement before concrete lorry comes. Concrete not yet booked, but a big lorry can reverse in and drop from the chute. I have a magnesium float etc and we will get the slab done very quickly once the concrete arrives.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Apr 2021, 19:08

Are you putting foundations down, Adrian, or building off a raft? Have you got the building inspector lined up?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 19:21

The building will have an internal area of just under 30 square metres. Loo will be in one corner and about 2m by 2.2 metres as that is a convenient size (see what I did there).

I had been planning to do the building for a while, so I pre-thought foundations. It stands independently from either building at the sides. Most of it was pre-inspected as a very deep ex farm slab. The south end (nearest you in the pic) has at least 6 feet of concrete under it as it was a foundation for a steel barn at one time and the farmer went overboard. So I thought that would just about suffice. BC thought so too.

The rest has 200mm of rolled very compacted type 1 in it from when I excavated services and fully resurfaced the driveway through to the parking area (which you can't see).

Levels are all over the place on this site, so I will have an insulated (not much) reinforced concrete slab that is mostly 6" depending where you stand. The room adjacent on the left is currently the main drawing room and that is what determines my level here. The kitchen on the right (roughy 80 sq m) is a step up and so is the utility room beyond that. From the west end of the build site (utility) to this connection room, is at least a 300mm fall, which is quite a lot.

Building will be single story, and have minimal fenestration. Very high levels of insulation. The plan is to have the oak structure fully visible inside and out, so bits of it get doubled up. Sole plate is 10" wide oak. Dwarf wall is hollow concrete blocks to 60cm smooth rendered and painted. I am being super careful with flood risk as the house is lower than the garden and we are not a million miles from the river Medway and we have a stream along our east border.

It will be mostly a flat roof (one in 80 probably). Access to it will be from an adjacent large bedroom, so it will be a roof garden. In due course I will make a simple external oak staircase down to ground level.

Roof height internally is 2.5 metres. Floor will be either black limestone or light whitey limestone, both of which we have enough of in stock left over from other jobs. Kitchen and utility are all black limestone, but it is a sod to lay as the slabs are huge and thick and I don't want it through the drawing room, so will probably go for the light stuff.

I need to make a couple of arrow split windows and a glazed oak door or pair of doors.

Budget is peanuts. I will do all the work and most of the materials will be leftovers of stuff I already have. Obviously I have to buy in the concrete (C30) which will be about £500.

Needs to be weathertight for winter. All services are already laid on adjacent.

The room will house most of our books on oak shelves that I will make and fit into the framing design. And I will stick my piano in there. That is the reason for minimal fenestration, as I want to control the environment.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: I really hate wood. Part II - what am I doing?

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 19:45

Local planners were very helpful when we moved here. They were able to tell me what had been built here years ago (ex farmyard) and approximately what foundations I could expect to find (along with treasure surprises of buried machinery and rubble) and where. BC took one look and laughed.

There had once been a steel framed barn on a seriously thick concrete raft, and a concrete silage clamp. This had all been partially built over with lightweight stuff. The house is not readily visible from the road or any neighbours. The bizarre thing is that the barn that is now our house has not a lot in the way of foundations. It is a super bodge up from an original circa 400 year old tithe barn, from the conversion days in about 1980 when "developers" got away with murder. The roof timbers are almost all intact (though not spectacular), but that's about it: most of the rest is what a chef would call "deconstructed". In an act of criminal vandalism one bay was demolished and the porch removed. The cladding is super good quality (in that it burns really well on my bonfire) and probably cost about two weeks pocket money for the developer's daughter.

Sometimes I hate it, but this is not a forever home (I hope) and so I will improve it and live with the shortcomings.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Apr 2021, 21:20

It's a huge bonus if someone else has poured hundreds of tons of concrete for you.....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Apr 2021, 21:51

Yes. There are challenges though. For example most of the water drainage services run in funny places as we have had to work around the hidden slabs. There is also, for some reason, a significant hump in the drive (largely hidden now as I put a lot of rolled type one I after scraping off the gravel beach), that is very thick concrete. It might be a flood defence or, possibly more likely, some way down there may be a massive pipe.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Apr 2021, 16:00

Today has been a clean the oven and batch cooking day. However, not one to hang about :shock: , I managed to order(via delegation to wife) some concrete mesh reinforcing, some sand and cement, and 6 cu metres of concrete, ie a full load. This is a bit more than I need so I will have to do some extra formwork for another small job.

There will now be a total hiatus until concrete arrives - hopefully a week tomorrow.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Apr 2021, 18:07

Always important to have that over-flow job when ordering concrete. It gets expensive if they have to take any away with them.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Apr 2021, 22:42

indeed. If I order 5 metres from a 6 metre lorry I pay for 5.6 metres. Hence I have a shed base filled with hard core and ready to rock. This will absorb all leftovers and the rest I will mix myself. A full load is cheap really - in fact cheaper than I can buy small quantities of ballast and cement for. 8-)
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Apr 2021, 19:41

Nothing to show for a whole days work, but they are essential jobs.

Drainage checked and bonded.
Water pipes installed and bonded and flow checked (one joint, no leaks).
Armoured cable run through. (This is just a spare, in any case I also have access from above.
All formwork (reclaimed scaffold planks I already had) now secured, and extra wedged with concrete blocks as well. There is a surprising degree of fall across the site from kitchen towards house, even over just 5 metres. The concrete I am putting in is not really doing a great deal structurally other than address site levels
All dimensions checked and square checked across diagonals.
Membrane sealed.

Reinforcing mesh arrives on Thursday and concrete a week today at 8am.

Having a serious think about roof structure. My thoughts are, from inside and looking up, to make a warm deck roof as follows:

Exposed oak rafters in 4" by 4". Laid to achieve fall in entire roof structure of 1 in 80.
      MDF or plasterboard or planked ceiling, pre-painted and laid across rafter to hide all joins. If I plank it, I may skip the deck board.
      18mm deck board
      Vapour membrane - visqueen
      Rigid foam insulation 100mm
      Exterior OSB 10mm
      Fixings vertically through to oak rafters with washers, flush fixed
      Heavy duty EPDM bonded with roll on adhesive.

It will have access from the adjacent bedroom and oak stair from the ground but I don't expect it to be walked on a lot. I might do a suspended deck so I can have table and chairs up there for morning tea after breakfast in bed (hoped for but rarely delivered :lol: )

Any thoughts on this flat roof aspect chaps?

Roof detail on north side will be the subject of a further query soon to see if I am being stupid.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Apr 2021, 19:48

PS I need to use Visqueen vapour barrier rather than anything else as I have two rolls of 100m by 5m wide that I was given from an industrial development nearby where they over ordered big time with building wraps etc and were going to chuck it. (I did a bit of legal stuff for them so I was owed a favour). I also have quite a bit of their thick black plastic dpm sheeting that I have used in a double layer under the concrete. Same source. Probably overkill, but free.

In my building store area there is a lot of stuff that needs to get used up to clear the area, so as much as possible will get consumed in this building. Hence one wall may be concrete blocks.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2021, 20:07

Is it worth running in an Ethernet cable ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking