It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:11

The terms 'seat' and 'height' wrt staircases

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

The terms 'seat' and 'height' wrt staircases

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2021, 09:23

I'm looking at the tangent handrail for the top corner where the pitched length turns 90 degrees to join the level handrail on the landing. In diCristina's book on tangent handrailing, in his section 'Upper tangent level - lower tangent pitched' he references two terms that I'm not familiar with.

'Seat' and 'height'.

These words are too common for Google to help. Can anyone shed any light, please ?

20210523_091712.jpg
(209.86 KiB)

And what about endgrain? Surely as you're turning through 90 degrees then endgrain is going to become a factor on one either the pitch length or the level length ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: The terms 'seat' and 'height' wrt staircases

Postby AJB Temple » 23 May 2021, 13:29

There is a 90 degree curve in my mother's similar staircase. The hand rail segment at the turn is mahogany and is made in three pieces so it has joints but no end grain visible. Sorry, no photos available currently.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking