It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:26

Camvac Paper Bags

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Camvac Paper Bags

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2021, 15:56

Being a tad parsimonious, (it’s been said ‘tight fisted’ more than once :lol: ) I hadn’t changed the paper bags on my twin motor Camvac since I had it, which is at least ten years. I used to brush the grunge off them and when they split (often) I used to repair them with glue and brown paper. As such, the ‘gulper’ attached to Camvac dust extraction system wouldn’t pick up small bits of waste from the floor (dovetailing waste and the like, about the size of a sugar cube)
The other day, they’d gone past repairing and were fit for nothing but the recycling bin, so I put on some new ones.
Hell’s Teeth, the suction appears to have doubled and almost anything on the floor goes straight up the tube! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Camvac Paper Bags

Postby Argus » 25 May 2021, 16:19

Choked filters are one of the few things where the efficiency improves as the quality does down!

I worked for years on cooling systems and Air Conditioning and as filters got more choked, what little came out the other side was definitely cleaner.
:) :) :)
Argus
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 25 May 2021, 16:25

This is where a cyclone and dustbin come in to play. they take 99% of the dust before it hits the filter bags, greatly prolonging their life. 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2021, 16:42

sunnybob wrote:This is where a cyclone and dustbin come in to play. they take 99% of the dust before it hits the filter bags, greatly prolonging their life. 8-)

The Camvac powers my cyclone though SB and most of the dust ends up on it’s cloth filter - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 25 May 2021, 16:49

Have you got it ii the right order?
machine - cyclone - motor?
The only time my bag starts to fill is if the cyclone bin is overflowing.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2021, 17:26

sunnybob wrote:Have you got it ii the right order?
machine - cyclone - motor?
The only time my bag starts to fill is if the cyclone bin is overflowing.

Yes, SB, I’ve had a double check and everything’s in the right order and has been for the last few years. Machine>cyclone>motor
The Camvac bin never has any shavings in it but does accumulate fine dust from the lathe and the floor which doesn’t drop into the collection bin under the cyclone. Part of my Sunday morning routine is to clean out the Camvac cloth filter (usually by belting it against our Laburnum tree) ready for the next weeks work - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 25 May 2021, 17:40

Are you using a big enough cyclone?
I was never happy with my first, which was one of those nylon 50 mm in and outs.
I made my own out of a 3/4 sized traffic cone with 3" in and outs, which was much better.
Then after a lot of searching I found my big red machine on a scrap heap, got it fitted with 4" in and outs, and since then.... nothing gets to the bag . 8-)

IMG_2930.JPG
(134.85 KiB)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2021, 18:04

sunnybob wrote:Are you using a big enough cyclone?
I was never happy with my first, which was one of those nylon 50 mm in and outs.
I made my own out of a 3/4 sized traffic cone with 3" in and outs, which was much better.
Then after a lot of searching I found my big red machine on a scrap heap, got it fitted with 4" in and outs, and since then.... nothing gets to the bag . 8-)

Yes, SB, I’m quite sure the cyclone is big enough. It’s Super Dust Deputy from the USA and the importer assured me that the twin motor Camvac would be perfick for it. Nice cyclonic set up btw, except that your collection bin is a trifling on the small side (as they all appear to be) I could fill that in one afternoon if I were to do a bit of machining for a biggish project, so I use a 220l water butt which takes a lot more detritus than on of those tin cans :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 25 May 2021, 19:28

Well youve definitely out cycloned me :lol: ,I'm just surprised its getting through to the bag.

That 50 litre bin was my original sip dust extractor before the fan motor failed. I put a perspex window over the 4" inlet.
Its actually pretty good for my usage, and can take a week or two to fill, except when I get the thicknesser out.
Then its a 10 minute fill :o :shock:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 26 May 2021, 07:15

Hi Rob, I have a super dust deputy and I find the really fine dust gets through to my filter too. All the stuff saw dust and bigger drops into the bin but I need to vacuum the inside of the filter every so often to get the fine caked dust out. I wish I had a way of re-mounting the paddle system in the filter cartridge then all the fine dust would be knocked into the collection bag, but I need a big gear to offset the handle.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2021, 08:06

woodstalker wrote:Hi Rob, I have a super dust deputy and I find the really fine dust gets through to my filter too. All the stuff saw dust and bigger drops into the bin but I need to vacuum the inside of the filter every so often to get the fine caked dust out. I wish I had a way of re-mounting the paddle system in the filter cartridge then all the fine dust would be knocked into the collection bag, but I need a big gear to offset the handle.

Good to hear it’s not just me then :D The cyclone works fine but it’s just a pita that the fine dust gets through to the filter or Camvac in my case. Not really to much hassle, just routine to clean out the cloth filter once a week - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 26 May 2021, 08:57

I've just ordered some new paper filters for mine. I've been running it without for a while and it's been dreadful.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking