It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:17

UK Men’s Sheds H&S

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: UK Men’s Sheds H&S

Postby AJB Temple » 28 May 2021, 22:26

Pac, it was your reference to "him" that confused me. It suggested you were referring to another matter.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 28 May 2021, 22:37

No, just a sexist slip of the tongue.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby AJB Temple » 28 May 2021, 22:44

OK. I would suggest the case you refer to is not relevant here. The OP was no holding himself out as a professional. On the contrary he was seeking wider input, so it is clear that he did not have or claim expertise. Hence the legal principle to which you refer is moot in this case.

But in any event the OP has decided not to proceed, apparently put off by the comments that addressed a perception of risk rather than the actual question. Such is life.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 28 May 2021, 23:16

I wish I could be that certain. I see to many cases where the line between professional and contractor is blurred. For instance On a project where there is an architect who designed the works, the builder gets asked what product he would recommend for part of the works. It gets used and fails. It was the wrong product. It is not a breach of contract as the builder has no design liability. I regularly see the argument that the builder owed a duty of care in giving the advice. The argument is that by giving the recommendation the builder is assuming responsibility that it is fit for the purpose. Hence I am not convinced that a duty of care when assuming responsibility only applies to professionals whether Architects, Accountants or Barristers. It seems to be arguable it applies to anyone who has expertise be it joiner or other tradesman.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Previous

Return to General Woodworking