It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:00

Stock up. Supply issues and price rises.

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Stock up. Supply issues and price rises.

Postby AJB Temple » 27 May 2021, 22:13

We've been shopping on-line and the shortages of building materials, long lead times, and price rises have become very noticeable of late. OSB and ply and C16 and C24 are all up sharply. PIR has shot up and is in short supply. Resellers of seconds have next to no stock. I just bought a load of PIR and had to accept a mixed load of 140mm and 150mm Kingspan, foiled.

If you have a building project planned this year, it may be worth getting stocked up now.

Some suppliers are not selling to retail customers and prioritising their clients with trade accounts. For example I bought 12 bags of cement today from the local supplier we always use, and a retail customer and his wife who just wanted a couple of 25kg bags was refused. The customer had a strop, but the supplier wouldn't budge. Cement was unbranded because that was all they could get (normally blue circle).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Stock up. Supply issues and price rises.

Postby Trevanion » 27 May 2021, 22:41

Haven't been able to get primer for a couple of weeks from the usual supplier, and doesn't look like we'll have any for a few weeks more, the word were "There is no primer or light-coloured paints in the country".

Accoya is now practically unobtainium, only available in really obscure sizes that no one really wants.

Glass has gone up 30% so far since January.

The local builders merchant (a large national company) has a sign up outside the gate, "NO PLYWOOD, OSB, CELOTEX OR CEMENT"
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 28 May 2021, 00:34

@Trevanion, try these guys

http://www.scottpaints.co.uk/index.html
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 08:06

It's starting to get a bit silly to be honest. it isn't just materials, everything is starting to creep or leap up in price and availability is becoming patchy on everything from clothes to spanners. next door neighbors car sat in a dealers for the past 4 months because BMW couldn't get the part to fix it. that is quite frankly an obsurd situation.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Harv-53 » 28 May 2021, 10:41

It’s a royal pain in the * at the moment, I have a large project on the go and am getting through cement at a pace, I had a full pallet delivered last week and ordered another for delivery next week and have been told 1 st week of august is the earliest I’ll get it, when I had the delivery last week the driver asked to take a photo of me with the pallet as proof of delivery, he said the delivery lorries were being followed and materials are being stolen if left unattended after delivery.
I also have 900 meters of post and rail fencing to do and can’t get it as no where locally has that amount available, I can get it in dribs and drabs from different suppliers but would end up with variations in colour, my client won’t accept that as a solution and I can’t give them a time frame as no one knows when that amount will be available.
As for the continually rising prices..... that’s going to be fun trying to explain to clients that the material prices are rising almost on a weekly basis.
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby AJB Temple » 28 May 2021, 11:08

What it's presently doing is pretty much putting small trades out of business.

My friendly young bricklayer, Tommy, is a sole trader and employs a couple of people. He is very good, gets lots of repeat business and is struggling now because he can't get cement except in dribs and drabs. In our area big developers are building a lot of houses (I think 4,000 in the surrounding villages (or what used to be villages) and these sites are dominating supplies of pretty much everything.

Since about March my wife has been warning me about this and she has busily stocked up on materials that we thunk we will need for our own work over the next 18 months. Some things that have been in short supply are ridiculous: rendering sand for example.

It is apparently difficult even to get concrete ready mix at a sensible price unless you can take a full load of 6 cube. We had a load a few weeks ago and our neighbour (an architect) was astounded. He said he has been trying to get 2 cubic metres delivered for a greenhouse base and was being quoted £500.

It must presumably feed through into house price inflation before long. I don't see it in a positive light at all.
Last edited by AJB Temple on 28 May 2021, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 11:57

I (or more accurately my FIL as I've been told I'm to busy for it) has a small project to put a picket fence along the front boundry. all of about 20ft.
it's so far taken 4 weeks because:
1. we couldn't get the fence posts, so I took some old 4x4 posts from his allotment and cut them down, cleaned them up;
2. we couldn't get wood for the stretchers, so I've taken so 3x2CLS (yer right, 2 5/8" by 1 5/8") and machined it down to 3x7/8 ish, we will be painting it so it should be fine.
3. we couldn't get the timber for pickets. this time an old friend had just taken down a load of fencing so he let me have the pick of the lot. no work needed by me for once.
4. we couldn't get postcrete. as it happens I had a bag and a half from last year that is still in date and next door had the other bag from the same fence job where I over ordered buy 3 bags because I intended to open out the post holes but found I didn't need to.
5. I cant get 30mm ring nails for the gun, so now it's being done with a hammer (not really an issue)

just annoying really and I don't want to think about when it comes to painting it.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby sammy.se » 28 May 2021, 21:14

Does anybody know why this is happening?

I have a building project (new stud wall and decorating) this summer and now I'm thinking I need to up my budget!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Alf » 29 May 2021, 07:59

Seem to be several reasons, but a lot of them seem to be Covid-related - shipping costs and shipping containers in the wrong places, production reduced by lockdowns, and a surge in demand because construction is getting underway again.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 29 May 2021, 09:01

Been waiting 18 months to finish our extension and internal work, let down by a couple of builders who got better offers. Current builder arrived this week to make a start; same day BBC news ran the story of materials shortages. Really disappointing and typical bloody luck. If the original bar steward hadn’t let us down we’d have been all done by the time Covid lockdowns kicked in.

A friend of mine is in builder number 27 to try and even get a quote.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 29 May 2021, 09:26

I tried my two normal suppliers for two bags of cement to finish a small fencing job. First had none and did not know when they would get some, second only supplying account customers. Went to my local fencing supplier for some boards and asked if they had cement, they did and I got my two bags.

The fencing supplier blamed the cement shortage on HS2 taking large quantities.

My daughter works for wholesale building hardware supplier, they have containers of stuff on the ship that got stuck in the Suez canal, I think it is still being held by the Egyptians, and had more on the ships delayed behind it. They still have shortages of nearly everything with backorders clearing them out of stock as soon as it comes in.

Getting quotes for some lighting stuff for a Village Hall and I was querying the suggested power supply with the supplier when he said it has just gone red, out of stock, and the alternative is also out of stock!

I am glad that I am retired and don't rely on getting stuff to make a living.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby droogs » 29 May 2021, 09:34

I know how this feels, we have had to change the plans for the new kitchen as we can't get the ply. so instead of nice 18mm oak faced Baltic Birch carcases we are now going with melamine faced whatever they have and possibly even ready made 600x600, some of which will have to be trimmed to 600x500 for one side of the kitchen. Not happy but hey, at least the doors will be solid wood F&P. Pricewise though the "cheapo" melamine is around the price I normally pay for birch ply :shock:
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Harv-53 » 29 May 2021, 10:14

HS2 is being blamed around here, even the land fill tips in our area have been restricted as HS2 gets priority, I’ve had 32 grab lorry loads away from my own drive way reconstruction, it took almost 12 weeks to get all the muck away sorted, also road stone is in short supply, I ordered 80 tons for the driveway base, I got 10 tons a week for 4 weeks and then 2 x 20 ton loads, it was very frustrating and if it was on a job for a paying client I’d have been financially b*ggered
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby Weekend_Woodworker » 29 May 2021, 11:29

Having seen the thread I popped into our local builders merchants today as we are going to replace our rotted wooden compost bins with some breeze block ones. I was pleasantly surprised that they said no problem and will be delivering the bits on Tuesday. I dare say that the prices are a bit higher than normal but as I don’t normally buy cement and blocks I don’t know how bad it is.
Weekend_Woodworker
New Shoots

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2021, 12:04

Is nobody blaming Brexit?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 29 May 2021, 12:07

Andyp wrote:Is nobody blaming Brexit?

Yes im sure people are, but not in public, the ramifications and abuse are to much to dare think about. :lol:
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 30 May 2021, 13:36

A bit of info here on supply issues and price rises from Travis Perkins

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57299350
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil Pascoe » 30 May 2021, 14:16

Andyp wrote:Is nobody blaming Brexit?

As the increases appear to be worldwide, probably not.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Deejay » 30 May 2021, 15:32

Afternoon all

From Travis Perkins, about increases from June 1st by supplier ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From 1st June 2021

Various Suppliers: Bagged Aggregates - 5%

British Gypsum: PIR - 15%, Metal & Ceiling - 10.75%, Fixings - 10.90%

Wavin: Drainage - upto 23% (Avg 11.5%)

Knauf Drywall: Plaster & Plasterboard - 4-20%

Marley: Roofing Acc & Underlays 10%

Richard Burbidge: Stairparts & Decking Acc - 5.90%

Metsa: 3PL (Staircraft) - 7.70%, PSE & Mouldings - 7%,

Carcassing: C24 Imported - 8-13%, C16 Homegrown - 8%

Norbord: T&G Chipboard - 10%, OSB - 10-20%

Imported Port Supply: Shutter Ply - 7-20%, Hardwood Ply - 4-16%, Structural Softwood Ply - 8-27%, Marine Ply - 18%

Bosch Thermotechnology: Boilers - 2%

Crown Paints: Paint - 5%

Triton: All Products - 5%

Sika Everbuild: Chemicals - 5.10%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No mention of bagged cement 'cos that went up 15% from May 1st

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby AJB Temple » 31 May 2021, 14:43

Travis Perkins are an odd outfit. I have an account (hence trade discount) and do use them for some things, but you really have to watch their pricing which can very from quite good to seriously OTT expensive. There are three near me and delivery is quite good, but for some inexplicable reason when I order on-line they insist on trying to divert me to their (useless) East Peckham branch. TP can always be relied on to take the lead with price rises :?

I think they still own Wickes, which at one point they were definitely trying to sell. TP card gets you a 10% discount at Wickes.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 31 May 2021, 14:47

Oops. Turns out Wickes was spun off in an IPO at the end of April 2021. My wife says we now have a separate Wickes discount card.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 May 2021, 15:45

AJB Temple wrote:....but for some inexplicable reason when I order on-line they insist on trying to divert me to their (useless) East Peckham branch. .....

Each trade account has a 'nominated' branch. So it would appear that East Peckham is yours which seems a bit odd since you don't strike me as a Peckham man ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 31 May 2021, 17:35

:text-lol:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fezman » 31 May 2021, 21:21

I've been looking for some 18mm ply to make a chop saw station. None about locally for a while, then overnight into Saturday morning, my local B&Q has 24 sheets in stock.

I was there at 8am, loaded two sheets onto a cart, had my cutting list in hand for the panel saw, went to the saw, Nobody there, looked around for the buzzer, or a man who can... A few seconds later a booming voice, "it's Brock" . Now for those who are not of a northern persuasion, that means It is Broken. Low and behold right in front of me is a 3ft square sign (how could I have missed it) saying Out of Order.

Anyhoo, i took the sheets back and restocked the shelves with them. I'm now waiting for them to fix the panel saw and no doubt wait until they have more stock.
fezman
New Shoots

Name:

Postby sammy.se » 07 Jun 2021, 11:42

I received this email today from my local timber merchants, who I have had very good service from by the way.
I appreciate their transparency, thoughtfulness for their customers and and not compounding price increases through their own pricing structures:

Main Branch: Leyton Branch: 583-585 High Road • Leyton • London • E10 6PY
397 Romford Road • Forest Gate • London • E7 8AB
Phone: 020 8534 6318 | Fax: 020 8519 3230 Phone: 020 8539 6491 | Fax: 020 8539 6547
Email: sales@tchamberstimber.co.uk www.tchamberstimber.co.uk

Company Reg. No 1716372 | VAT Reg. No. 248 8958 92

Dear Customer,
As I am sure you are already aware, timber and building material has recently suffered dramatic shortages and price increases that are unprecedented, of which many other factors have contributed to a perfect storm.
We write this letter to ensure you that we are stock holding huge amounts of material, which in turn will help reduce the negative impact these conditions can create. This will enable us to keep ahead of the curve to which many suppliers falter.
I would also like to inform you that your costings are derived from our strict price structure, which is a direct result from manufacturers/ importers price increases. We do not apply any premium for the supply/demand factor.
We are currently forecasting the next 3rd quarter and have information that the severe conditions will not ease just yet and supply issues and increases are continuing throughout the coming months.
I appreciate this situation will strongly effect your upcoming projects, so please forward these points with your clients to pre-empt the price increases and completion delays where possible.
We would like to thank you for your continued support and understanding.
Yours faithfully,

Tony Chambers
Director
T.Chambers & Son Ltd
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking