It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:19

Stock up. Supply issues and price rises.

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Stock up. Supply issues and price rises.

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2021, 13:10

I read that garden furniture and camping equipment are/will be in short supply this summer too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jun 2021, 13:47

Andyp wrote:I read that garden furniture and camping equipment are/will be in short supply this summer too.

Shortages due to mass changes to leisure habits are understandable but not building materials. Building work has continued throughout covid with only minor changes to social distancing.
Big projects like HS2 being blamed for cement and landfill issue is crazy as that project has been known about for years and so is just bad planning by the suppliers.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby spb » 07 Jun 2021, 21:42

I can't help but feel that HS2 gets mentioned mostly because the average member of the public is more likely to accept it as an explanation than "all the shipping containers are in the wrong place so nobody can send us stuff".

Ultimately it comes down to a worldwide culture of companies chasing marginal gains in short-term profitability at the expense of long-term resilience. Covid just exposed the structural fragility of badly-implemented just-in-time supply chains that has been building for decades now.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2021, 21:48

spb wrote:I can't help but feel that HS2 gets mentioned mostly because the average member of the public is more likely to accept it as an explanation than "all the shipping containers are in the wrong place so nobody can send us stuff".

Ultimately it comes down to a worldwide culture of companies chasing marginal gains in short-term profitability at the expense of long-term resilience. Covid just exposed the structural fragility of badly-implemented just-in-time supply chains that has been building for decades now.

:text-+1: :text-goodpost:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 Jun 2021, 22:30

I agree.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 23 Jun 2021, 21:44

So according to the timber fella, a big boat loaded with over £3,000,000 worth of timber pulled into Newport docks the other day with the intention of unloading here, but the company told it to re-fuel and keep on going to America where they were offered double for it.

That and Accoya is now knocking £4000cu/m.

Paint company won't know when it's going to get paint until the middle of July, and that's not when it'll have paint, that's when it'll know when it'll get paint. Found a different firm, half the price and had the paint so hopefully, it lives up to expectations.

Glass is now a 6-8 week lead-time.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 24 Jun 2021, 08:22

Surely the U.K. is self sufficient for cement and plaster.
There was plenty in Wickes on Sunday.
No building sand and I grabbed the last two bags of ballast...... which is strange as there are dozens of gravel and sand pits within 20 miles of here.
I only went for building sand ... :eusa-doh:
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 24 Jun 2021, 08:33

we would be, but all the people who worked at the production plants have left the country. :o

ok, that was a joke with only a little bit a of truth in it. half the issue is that they are still trying to catch up from the backlog caused by shutdown last summer, it takes a a couple of months to get the process restarted and the product produced during start up is off spec, I believe they are now at full speed again but are still completing on orders from last year so it won't really settle down anytime soon. I was up past what used to be larfarge sterndale moor last week and it was obviously back in operation but as I didn't get caught by a load of trucks as you used to, I'd say it's on the quiet side for them.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 24 Jun 2021, 09:03

Sand!

I've git plenty of that just 5 mins away.

B4F87F7F-C8BB-43CF-AA4D-F4FCF8EC3F6C.jpeg
(548.67 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 24 Jun 2021, 09:32

wrong sort Andy, if you build your house with that it will fall down. :(

also, there appears to be a bird in it, which is quite frankly disgusting.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 24 Jun 2021, 09:38

Lurker wrote:Surely the U.K. is self sufficient for cement and plaster.

From what I was told there was no shortage of cement as such and if you wanted a lorry full if the loose stuff, you could. The problem was a complete shortage of the cement bags themselves of all things.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Jun 2021, 10:01

novocaine wrote:wrong sort Andy, if you build your house with that it will fall down. :(

also, there appears to be a bird in it, which is quite frankly disgusting.

Yeah I know, such a pity. Just showing off how empty our local beaches are. That photo was taken in August a few years back..

The bird is a gannet, I believe.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 24 Jun 2021, 10:10

Yer ok. 3 weeks ago in whitby.
Somewhat different.
20210605_102314.jpg
(226.97 KiB)
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 24 Jun 2021, 13:04

Trevanion wrote:

From what I was told there was no shortage of cement as such and if you wanted a lorry full if the loose stuff, you could. The problem was a complete shortage of the cement bags themselves of all things.

That I can believe as I was told the shortage of plasterboard recently was down to lack of paper
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Peri » 24 Jun 2021, 17:03

Same with steel.

Had to wait a month for two sheets of 8'x4'x1mm bright sheet.

Our bread & butter 150mm X 6mm X 4m hot rolled has gone from £37 before Xmas to £56 now, with a 2-3 week wait
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Blackswanwood » 24 Jun 2021, 19:46

I see James Latham announced their results today and are one of the winners from the current situation. Reading the interview with their CEO it seems North America is driving a lot of the competition for timber as South America is behind the curve with COVID which supports the earlier post from Trevanion.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 07 Jul 2021, 12:21

I see the Evergreen is finally on it's way maybe that will help with supply.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 07 Jul 2021, 13:16

I visited my timber merchant this morning they told me to get a move on with my utility as prices are about to rise sharply. OSB3 sheet is expected to hit £80 per sheet and plywood is rising by 65% both by August.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby MattS » 07 Jul 2021, 15:05

I wanted some ply, as a hobbyist have always got it from the same local timber merchant. They told me they are only selling to their best / biggest customers for the foreseeable future! I've ended up buying a job lot of thin offcuts from a business. Imagine they'd previously have just chucked them but some sucker has bought them :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Deejay » 07 Jul 2021, 16:39

Doug wrote:
Trevanion wrote:

That I can believe as I was told the shortage of plasterboard recently was down to lack of paper

I bought some cement today and was asked if I wanted paper or plastic bags. That might support the paper shortage theory.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby MattS » 08 Jul 2021, 22:10

My solution to supply issues, yes i had to design around thin strips slightly but that’s about 9 sheets of ply for £250!

43918740-D050-4259-8478-31E3A820CD94.jpeg
(374.79 KiB)
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 09 Jul 2021, 07:00

MattS wrote:My solution to supply issues, yes i had to design around thin strips slightly but that’s about 9 sheets of ply for £250!

43918740-D050-4259-8478-31E3A820CD94.jpeg

Yebbut how much will it cost to repair your vehicle now the weight of the ply has tipped it on its side :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice haul btw.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 05 Aug 2021, 13:23

Anyone know a way to check what prices were 6 months ago for building materials etc?

Unless you are buying all the time it’s impossible to know if the price of something today is a big mark up on a few months back. I’m looking at bulk bags of sand, gravel and scalpings. Bagged cement and 110mm drainage pipe and fittings.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 05 Aug 2021, 14:07

Ton bulk bags haven’t gone up much nor has cement though a lot of places are limiting customers to 5 bags.
Dunno about soil pipe prices but I’ve not noticed much increase in guttering & down pipe.

Ironically I built a large wardrobe the other week & the cls in the stud work was more expensive than the 4 x 1 1/2” par redwood 5ths that I used for the door frames :o
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby spb » 05 Aug 2021, 15:02

Doug wrote:Ironically I built a large wardrobe the other week & the cls in the stud work was more expensive than the 4 x 1 1/2” par redwood 5ths that I used for the door frames :o

I built some raised beds in the garden a couple of months ago, and using oak was about 5% more expensive than treated 6x2s. Prices are just all over the place at the moment.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

PreviousNext

Return to General Woodworking