It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:15

Stripping oak beams

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Stripping oak beams

Postby System57 » 18 Jun 2021, 11:03

Looking to get some oak beams stripped that have been painted black. Any recommendations for techniques and companies?
In know @Mikeg had some stripped using dry ice during his epic project and was impressed with results, but thought I’d also seek out the experience of other learned people here before making a decision.

Kelvin
System57
Seedling

Name:

Re: Stripping oak beams

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Jun 2021, 11:10

The usual way if you are doing a lot is sandblasting. Framers often do this immediately after assembling a new frame / building as it gets you a pristine finish. Really wants doing professionally as that is cleaner and better but only worth it if you are doing a lot I guess.

Are you sure that what is underneath is worth revealing?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby System57 » 18 Jun 2021, 15:35

Ah that’s the question....Adrian. I’m hoping so as that part of the property dates from circa 1700 and just the ceiling beams painted black in one room.
From my brief research sandblasting leaves a rather rough finish, bead or silica blasting being the better option.

I’m only considering getting ‘professionals’ in at this point.....unless someone here persuades me otherwise. ;)
System57
Seedling

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 19 Jun 2021, 19:58

We used a sandblasting service on our old oak beams in our last house and I warn you that they can end up like pumice stone. And the mess, you will be vacuuming for weeks afterwards, the dust from the downstairs beams permutated through the gaps in the floor boards and covered everything upstairs!

We have your problem in one spare room in our current house, beautiful hewn oak frame slathered in black paint. I'm going to look into dry ice blasting.
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 19 Jun 2021, 20:05

Sorry when I said sandblasting I was being generic. I doubt anyone uses sand much now. Bead blasting is what I have seen done. No experience of the quite expensive dry ice method. Would be nice to see before and after pictures.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 19 Jun 2021, 20:30

I find if i offer it a pole and a few glasses of chardonnay they will strip quite happily.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 19 Jun 2021, 20:32

Have you had a few glasses of Chardonnay Dave?
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 19 Jun 2021, 20:33

AJB Temple wrote:Have you had a few glasses of Chardonnay Dave?

Just one.
But ive also had 2 glasses of Chianti and a nice craft ipa. :D
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Return to General Woodworking