It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:26

A Walnut workout - with added box - finished!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

A Walnut workout - with added box - finished!

Postby AndyT » 21 Aug 2021, 11:59

What's a good thing to do on a wet Saturday morning? Drive to a gym, pay loads to share the air with dangerous strangers? Or get some healthy exercise in your own workshop... No question really - that's not the dilemma.

I have this useful-looking chunk of walnut, kindly given to me a few years ago.

IMG_7496.JPG
(311.39 KiB)

A while ago, I noticed it had some flight holes on the surface. Not being sunnybob, I didn't reach for a flamethrower. Instead, I circled all the holes, noted the date and put it back on the rack.

IMG_7497.JPG
(233.38 KiB)

About a month later, I looked again and saw that a few fresh holes had appeared. Time to do something about it.

IMG_7498.JPG
(323.35 KiB)

I thought it would be a good idea to split the piece into two thinner boards. This would allow me to see how deep the damage goes and maybe get some material suitable for making a Useful Box to Put Things In, or some such quick project that would use the wood effectively. So it was time to get ripping.

Now, I do have a bandsaw, but it only cuts 3" deep and this is over 4". I could call in a favour and get someone else to cut this down on a bigger saw, but I also have a choice of muesli powered ripsaws and frankly, I need a bit of exercise.

I am aware that there has been a lot of online chatter elsewhere about something called a "kerfing plane" as an aid when rip sawing. It seems to lead back to a guy on YouTube called Tom Fidgen, but as far as I can see the idea has a somewhat shaky historical basis. It's not a standard tool that appears in catalogues or instructional texts. However, a while back, Richard Arnold, whose work I really do respect, did an exercise where he set out to test a statement in Walter Rose's book "The Village Carpenter". Rose wrote that making a four panel door, starting from sawn timber and getting out the stiles and rails by hand, was a good day's work. He wrote an excellent article about it in Mortise and Tenon magazine, issue seven. Admittedly, he was only ripping to width in 1½" softwood, but he ploughed a groove on both sides of the wood first and says it makes a big difference to the time and effort required. He thinks this practice is probably one reason why so many old planes have the no 1 iron almost used up.

Because the grain was a bit wavy on this chunk of walnut, I started by marking a pair of lines all round.

IMG_7499.JPG
(353.18 KiB)

I then ploughed the groove, about an eighth wide. I failed to take any posed action shots of this step, but you can see the plane in the next photo, where I have not put it away.

Time for a digression/experiment. I've done some deep ripping by hand before and I know it needs a bit of effort, so it makes sense to be efficient. I'd only used ordinary western style rip saws, but a while back someone on another forum offered a good as new ECE framesaw with a coarse rip blade and I was tempted enough to buy it. This was my first proper go at using it.

IMG_7500.JPG
(367.05 KiB)

I know they are the normal choice of saw in much of Europe and have been since Joseph's day, but I didn't like it. It's firm, light and comfortable to hold, with a narrow kerf and the blade feels very sharp, but it just didn't remove much wood. I swapped to something more familiar - my G Harding 3½ tpi. (Simon Barley in BSSM says that this is probably a second quality line from about the 1880s, which fits with it having split nuts and a London pattern handle.) Here's a side by side comparison:

IMG_7501.JPG
(337.39 KiB)

IMG_7502.JPG
(220.66 KiB)

This made much better progress. Some of the difference is probably down to my own lack of experience with the framesaw and some must be because of the coarser teeth, but I think most of it is about the weight of the saw naturally cutting down. There's no need to strain your wrist pushing down into the wood, you really can let the saw do the work while you just push it backwards and forwards.

Anyway, the cut was completed in about half an hour, I worked up a bit of a sweat and felt better for it. :)

Here's the result:

IMG_7504.JPG
(334.41 KiB)

The only visible damage is a few very small holes which it would be easy to fill.

IMG_7505.JPG
(359.84 KiB)

And here are the two boards side by side after a preliminary clean up with a jack plane. It's clear to me that the insect damage is in the sapwood, which is also a bit softer than the rest. After sawing, the grain was quite torn up on the sapwood - you can still see where in those ripply looking areas.

IMG_7509.JPG
(373.62 KiB)

So, what shall I do next?

My inclination is to slap some 5-star wood treatment over all the surfaces, wait a while for it to dry, then make a box with the bits I have. Should I do that?

Should I cut off all the sapwood, throw that away and make a much smaller box with what's left?

Or am I just wasting my time? Will it only be disappointing?

Shall I just take out a subscription to our nearest Bannatyne's and give up now?
And does anyone want to make me an offer for a nearly-new frame saw? ;)
Last edited by AndyT on 04 Sep 2021, 13:36, edited 3 times in total.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Re: A Walnut workout dilemma

Postby Chris152 » 21 Aug 2021, 12:24

Just testing my understanding, so bear with me?
Do you know what the moisture content of the wood is, Andy? If it's above about 12%, I'd be tempted to bring it into the house in autumn to dry with the central heating for a couple of months, once it's on. If I've got this right, they fly in spring/ early summer, so shouldn't cause a problem in the house come autumn. Once the MC is below 12%-ish, they won't survive and your wood is good.
Please correct as appropriate!
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Aug 2021, 12:25

This is very timely, Andy, as I, too, have recently been given a nice piece of walnut with free holes.
My holes are entirely in a small patch of encroaching sapwood, so I think I'll just cut that patch out. No idea what I shall use the board for, either. I'll take a pic when I go down to the workshop.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Aug 2021, 12:26

Chris152 wrote:Once the MC is below 12%-ish, they won't survive and your wood is good.

I didn't know that. Every day is a school day. Thank you.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Aug 2021, 12:34

Walnut (and Oak) are diabolical for worm damage and it usually always happens in the sap, but the little blighters will migrate to the heartwood if you leave it long enough. My standard plan of attack with any new boards of either timber is to hack off all the softwood, chop it into little bits and dispose of it either in my neighbour’s wood burner or alternatively in the grey wheely bin.

So, the $64 million dollar question is what to do with yonder lump of nicely book matched walnut? For my money, there’s got to be some sort of box in there somewhere? - Rob

Edit - cut off all the sap, complete with ‘oles and use what’s left of the heartwood. Don’t even think about staining/colouring/filling the sap because you’ll always, but always know that it’s sapwood and you may well live to regret using it.
Last edited by Woodbloke on 21 Aug 2021, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 21 Aug 2021, 12:37

But heres the 60,000 dollar question Andy. Having made new exit holes,
Where are they now? :eusa-whistle:
What other pieces of wood tucked away in dark corners now have new entry holes? :o
That piece of walnut looks about 20 quids worth. Balance that against the future unknown damage of your wood stocks. :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:

Burning is too good for the little perishers.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 21 Aug 2021, 12:44

Hmm... thanks guys.

This bit of wood has been on the rack for about five years, in my basement workshop which is beautifully well ventilated and dry with a quite narrow temperature range - I never get rust on tools, sawdust on the floor doesn't clump. But there are new flight holes from the last month.

I hope that means that the livestock has left, and failed to find any wood cool and damp enough to lay eggs in. I did check for any severed and bloody demi-bodies near the sawcut and there were none.

Cutting off the sapwood makes sense but it would leave so little and if the pests have flown what would it achieve? - I am tempted to douse the lot in treatment and wait and see what happens.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Chris152 » 21 Aug 2021, 12:48

Steve Maskery wrote:
Chris152 wrote:Once the MC is below 12%-ish, they won't survive and your wood is good.

I didn't know that. Every day is a school day. Thank you.

If I've remembered the correct figure, thank Richard Jones of another parish, who patiently talked me through this in spite of my various misunderstandings. And I'm sure species vary, but Andy's holes do look very familiar.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Aug 2021, 12:51

1.6m long x 35mm thick. Width varies from 165 to 140.
IMG_20210821_123756.jpg
(397.89 KiB)

IMG_20210821_123828.jpg
(446.71 KiB)

IMG_20210821_123843.jpg
(333.56 KiB)
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Aug 2021, 15:27

Chris152 wrote:........Once the MC is below 12%-ish, they won't survive and your wood is good......

Or 18/19 degrees C (consistently). So if your house only rarely falls below 18 or 19, it's safe to bring wormy wood inside.

:lol: Not with SunnyBob about though, of course, because your house might go up in flames. Collateral damage and all that. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 21 Aug 2021, 15:44

Mike G wrote:Or 18/19 degrees C (consistently). So if your house only rarely falls below 18 or 19, it's safe to bring wormy wood inside.

I'm not so sure Mike, I've got a cherry root that's unfinished (as in, no finish on the root) with little wood turned mushrooms on it in the house and I'm 95% certain there are more holes developing in it all the time, I don't think there were any holes in this piece when it originally came in the house either!

I sold off a lot of my turning blanks and small miscellaneous timbers the other day as I had about half a shipping container full and I really wasn't ever going to get around to using it all and a lot of it was infected with furniture beetle, you could see thousands of dead beetles on the floor underneath the blanks. Tested with a moisture meter the average reading was about 12% so fairly dry as far as timber goes, it was mostly the spalted timbers, Oak and Yew Sapwood, Butternut, and pieces of Horse Chestnut that were heavily infected with the beetle, anything that had been doused with PVA in the past didn't have a single beetle hole in it.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 21 Aug 2021, 16:22

Well, thinking it all through I have decided, just for once, to do what I was told rather than what I first thought of... :?

So I cut off the sapwood, giving me another go with the still-no-fun framesaw:

IMG_7511.JPG
(342.16 KiB)

IMG_7512.JPG
(356.43 KiB)

then planed the good stuff down to 2 1/4" wide:

IMG_7513.JPG
(392.93 KiB)

so it looks like this

IMG_7514.JPG
(360.05 KiB)

I then put the wormy sapwood IN THE BIN! (it did feel a bit odd, throwing away wood, but I managed it) and liberally soused the good bits in all-purpose everything killer.

I'll let it dry so it's safe to go in the same room and try to work out a suitable design, maybe a pencil box for some of those little freebies you used to be able to get from Screwfix or Ikea... ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby sunnybob » 21 Aug 2021, 18:08

I hope the bin has a bug tight lid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Aug 2021, 18:52

Excellent that man! So now you’ve a pair of book matched, decent bits of walnut to work with and have binned all the gash stuff: it does feel weird to discard it but it’s (IM very ‘umble O) the right thing to do. Believe me, it’s even harder when you’ve paid hundreds of spondulics for wood and you then have to get rid of a sizeable quantity.

Crack on with the box! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

A Walnut workout - now with added box

Postby AndyT » 25 Aug 2021, 18:28

Woodbloke wrote:Excellent that man! So now you’ve a pair of book matched, decent bits of walnut to work with and have binned all the gash stuff: it does feel weird to discard it but it’s (IM very ‘umble O) the right thing to do. Believe me, it’s even harder when you’ve paid hundreds of spondulics for wood and you then have to get rid of a sizeable quantity.

Crack on with the box! - Rob

It does feel odd, but having done what I was told and binned the wormy sapwood, I'm carrying on in this obedient streak and have started making the little bits left into a box! And as you all claim to like pictures, I've taken a few...

Here's the starting point - not much to write home about really. I expect some of you would shove these in the firewood pile just to get some space.

IMG_7516.JPG
wood stock
(305.35 KiB)

I've sketched out a design that I hope will work and will use all of this.

The lid will have a panel floating in a mitred frame, so the first step was to pick out two ends with the best grain match and glue them together. Regular readers may recognise the cramps... ;)

IMG_7517.JPG
an attack of the cramps
(332.25 KiB)

Then there was some more planing. There had been quite a lot of planing already but I shall spare you some of it. I quite like planing.

IMG_7518.JPG
4½ + 7 = ?
(365.56 KiB)

For the frame around the panel, I split a piece of this two-and-a-bit inch wide stock into two inch-and-a- smidge strips. To minimise wastage I did that on the bandsaw, so I only lost about 3 tads overall.

To make a groove an eighth deep and an eighth wide, I favour a little 043 style plane like this one. This is actually a Rapier, which is just as good as the Record. Bigger planes generally have a deeper fence which gets in the way on small pieces.

IMG_7519.JPG
Gateshead's finest
(316.8 KiB)

With the glue dry on the panel, I sawed and planed it to a neat rectangle, with the join in the middle. It also needs a groove all the way round. Planing end grain is no problem, especially on this scale, but I did take the precaution of working up to a bit of scrap wood to prevent any chipping out at the far end.

IMG_7521.JPG
sacrificial scrap
(347.35 KiB)

Having done one end, I then remembered Phil P's tip of putting IPA on difficult grain before planing. That's isopropyl alcohol, not a waste of good beer. It works a treat and also gives you a preview of how good the walnut will look under a finish.

IMG_7523.JPG
a drunken groove
(223.32 KiB)

It even makes the shavings look prettier!

IMG_7524.JPG
a tasty snack for visitors
(260.59 KiB)

The grooves all needed a little bit of cleaning up and tweaking later on - which justifies this artfully posed shot of a Record 2506 doing what it does best.

IMG_7525.JPG
a groovy kind of plane
(329.53 KiB)

To cut the mitred ends of the frame pieces, I used this simple, cheap but accurate and reliable mitre saw. It really is better than it looks.

IMG_7528.JPG
Who mitre got a better saw?
(358.97 KiB)

I should clarify that the saw cuts are only preliminary - all the ends get knifed across like this

IMG_7534.JPG
matching parts
(332.15 KiB)

and then planed back to the mark in a mitre chop, going from rough:

IMG_7535.JPG
a pair of rough-ians
(353.12 KiB)

to smooth

IMG_7537.JPG
as a baby's bottom
(297.9 KiB)

And so we reach this stage, where the bits can be dry assembled and nothing has gone wrong - one of my favourite stages in any project!

IMG_7538.JPG
Framed!
(348.65 KiB)

This will be continued, but may be interrupted by a sudden urge to go outdoors and enjoy the sunshine - I hope you can all bear the suspense! :)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Re: A Walnut workout - now with added box

Postby Mike G » 25 Aug 2021, 19:37

AndyT wrote:....To cut the mitred ends of the frame pieces, I used this simple, cheap but accurate and reliable mitre saw. It really is better than it looks......

I've got one of those, and yes, you are right. It works really well, and much better than you might expect. The only thing is it is such a big awkward lump of a thing that it gets stored way up high where it is awkward to get to, so it's been a long long time since I did anything other than hand-saw and plane a mitre.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: A Walnut workout - with added box

Postby Blackswanwood » 25 Aug 2021, 20:33

Looking good Andy.

I’m not familiar with a mitre chop and when I Google it just get mitre saws turning up. It is obviously an alternative to a donkeys ear shooting board - any chance you could post a picture with a wider view please?

Cheers
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby AndyT » 25 Aug 2021, 21:17

Blackswanwood wrote:Looking good Andy.

I’m not familiar with a mitre chop and when I Google it just get mitre saws turning up. It is obviously an alternative to a donkeys ear shooting board - any chance you could post a picture with a wider view please?

Cheers

It's also called a mitre shooting block.

Here's a diagram

IMG_20210825_210627_DRO.png
(2.58 MiB)

and a couple more photos

IMG_20210825_210515_DRO.png
(2.91 MiB)

IMG_20210825_210428_DRO.png
(3.16 MiB)

It's one of those traditional tools that was almost always user-made. (Mine was, but not by me, I bought it secondhand.)

A moveable jaw slides up to a fixed one and gives an accurate surface to run a plane over.

And Mike, you're right about the storage problem. Here's mine, showing a shocking amount of empty space around it. The saw is flat on a specially shallow shelf above the planes.

IMG_20210825_210337_DRO.png
(2.71 MiB)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Blackswanwood » 25 Aug 2021, 21:45

Thanks Andy.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Cabinetman » 25 Aug 2021, 22:45

Nice job and all looking good, those woodworm will probably be dead on a windowcill btw, they do seem to head towards light. You could do a Hanrahan " I counted them out and I counted them all back in" Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AndyT » 26 Aug 2021, 12:49

The next step on the panel for the lid was to round over the top edges. This is simple - a few strokes with a hollow plane. Here's the one I used:

IMG_7549.JPG
(299.09 KiB)

The maker's name is too faint to read but ends in N so might be one of the John Greens.

IMG_7550.JPG
(216.72 KiB)

And here's an attempt at a real action shot, taken with camera supported and the timer used. Unfortunately you can't see the work, my left hand is in the wrong place so as not to entirely hide the plane and the distracting background is untidy, but hey, that's the conditions round here ;)

IMG_7540.JPG
(264.42 KiB)

This picture should make it a bit clearer on what I am trying to do with this lid. The panel sits above the frame, held by grooves.

IMG_7541.JPG
(218.37 KiB)

IMG_7542.JPG
(243.27 KiB)

I saw Roy Underhill demonstrate something similar on a toolbox lid and liked the idea. (I just checked and it was here, in 2008 https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights-s ... chest-pt2/ - I do take a while to get round to things sometimes.)

To glue up the mitres, I made a little jig with simple wedges. I think it's a good example of why you should keep a selection of offcuts, even if they are quite small. There's a bit of greaseproof paper in there in case of glue squeeze out.

IMG_7543.JPG
(333.43 KiB)

I taped the mitres end to end,

IMG_7544.JPG
(314.11 KiB)

painted them with liquid hide glue,

IMG_7545.JPG
(345.7 KiB)

then wrapped them around the panel, popped it into the jig and tapped up the wedges:

IMG_7546.JPG
(334.82 KiB)

A quick check that everything is square

IMG_7547.JPG
(345.72 KiB)

and one more arty shot of a corner

IMG_7548.JPG
(294.36 KiB)

and that's all for this morning. More another time, when the glue has set and I feel like it. :)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Tiresias » 26 Aug 2021, 15:11

AndyT

Firstly, thank you for your wips. I do enjoy reading them.

Secondly, question: did planing/kerfing/whatever you want to call it the groove make the resawing easier? I've just done a few meters of 100mm soft wood with a 3 1/2 TPI rip. No biggie, but one looses quite a lot to the cut once planed back.
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 26 Aug 2021, 15:42

Tiresias wrote:AndyT

Firstly, thank you for your wips. I do enjoy reading them.

Secondly, question: did planing/kerfing/whatever you want to call it the groove make the resawing easier? I've just done a few meters of 100mm soft wood with a 3 1/2 TPI rip. No biggie, but one looses quite a lot to the cut once planed back.

Firstly, thanks!

Secondly, I think it was marginal here. I'd say that having a saw with teeth big enough to carry the sawdust away is the most important thing.

Having the clear 1/8" groove certainly made it easier to see where the limits were and I managed to stay within them. I don't think I could deep rip any straighter than within 1/8" any way, so I think the only downside is fiddling with an extra tool, getting it sharp and set right.

Oh and the other big difference is if you are set up so you can put your body above the saw and cut downwards onto a low bench - that helps but needs some extra tricks to keep thin timber on edge.

So I'm not sure if what I did was the best way, but it worked ok on this project.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby AndyT » 27 Aug 2021, 16:28

Today's session followed what I did on the lid, using the same methods, so I'll be a bit briefer.

I took the long strip that I had reserved for the sides and ends and marked out mitres on the edge, one at a time, knifing all round and sawing with the same old mitre saw.

IMG_7551.JPG
(371.56 KiB)

It's good enough for these two inch cuts but each piece needs planing back to the marks in the mitre shooting block:

IMG_7552.JPG
(307.95 KiB)

(I'm fairly sure I have seen this called "mitre chops" and didn't just invent that name. It's similar to "carver's chops", where "chop" means the same as cheek, with the idea that the work is clamped between two cheeks, but it might all be buttocks as I can't find any evidence for the name so far.)

Anyhow, whatever it's called it does make the job easy, provided that the maker did a decent job, which my anonymous benefactor did.

To plane the ends on the lid I just used the old Stanley 4½ that was in the earlier pictures but for the sides I used this Quangsheng low angle jack, with a 25° iron. I bought this quite a few years ago, when there was a lot of chatter about them on another forum - Woodbloke and Alf and Sheffield Tony may well remember it. It was when Matthew at Workshop Heaven first started selling them and the price, given all the advice at the time, was very attractive. It's not often the plane I reach for first but for a job like this it really is excellent.

IMG_7553.JPG
shiny new tool!
(288.44 KiB)

There followed a lot of careful checking of mitres and which way round each piece went for grain continuity, which doesn't photograph well but took me quite a lot of time. Eventually I had my four pieces and could arrange them to look like one piece again. Woohoo!

IMG_7554.JPG
(302.24 KiB)

Can you see the join?

IMG_7555.JPG
(303.16 KiB)

If the finished corners look like that, I'll be happy and a bit surprised as well.

So, as before, I taped the pieces together

IMG_7556.JPG
(295.88 KiB)

and painted the ends with glue

IMG_7557.JPG
(281.71 KiB)

It all felt nice and secure with just the tape wrapped all round, but I had my clamping jig ready so I thought I might as well use it, if only to make sure that at least one of the corners was a right angle.

I also added the very insubstantial Stanley picture frame clamp. You just pull the cord tight and wedge it a bit here and there to get extra tension. Every time I use it (about once per decade) I think about making something better, but I still haven't, so there it is. At least it brightens up the picture. ;)

IMG_7558.JPG
(336.42 KiB)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2021, 07:46

Aghhhhh.............mitres! The work of the devil. :twisted:
Mike G
Sequoia