It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:00

Espag locks

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Espag locks

Postby HOJ » 03 Oct 2021, 18:36

My upcoming project/s is to make 4 Oak entrance doors and frames, I would normally fit mortice locks and shoot bolts, but in this instance I will need to fit stainless espagnolette locks, can anybody offer any advice or have any recommendations of a particular product/type/manufacturer/supplier for use on Oak doors, I'm also not sure as to which system would be best, such as hook, mushroom etc, too much choice), 1 door will be 44mm thick, the other 3 will be 56mm, + I don't need bolts into the cill or head.

TIA

Paul
HOJ
Sapling

Name: Paul

Re: Espag locks

Postby Trevanion » 03 Oct 2021, 19:29

I use a lot of these:

https://www.westwardbuildingservices.com/door-hardware/front-entrance-doors/tornado-hook-lock.htm

Just your standard three-point lock with hooks. Put a 16mm Euro groove in the door stile, mortice for the lockboxes, drill the cylinder and handle holes and plonk it in.

You can get fancier/more expensive alternatives but these work very well and aren't too expensive.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 03 Oct 2021, 20:21

I just used the Siegenia KVH AS 2750 on our front door. In the hook boxes it has an extra catch so the door is engaged at three points when its on the latch, hooks engage with the lock like normal. Its also driven with the key rather than the handle to lock. Inside its got a thumbturn which I used some gun blue on to match it to the pewter finish handles.

https://www.siegenia.com/gb/products/do ... latch-lock
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby HOJ » 04 Oct 2021, 08:16

Trevanion wrote:I use a lot of these:

I seem to remember that you told me about these before, elsewhere, I spoke to them the other day and I'm confused even more now, one of my doors is 2199mm tall, (I know, bit precise, its going into the barn conversion gable I'm working on) they couldn't confirm the length of the lock, the drawings show them being 2250 long, so presumably you can crop them to length, the others will be 1981mm tall.

Any chance of you could confirm these would work?

MJ80 wrote:I just used the Siegenia KVH AS 2750

Thank you for the info, my only concern with using a key to activate is that these are going into homes with kids who are heavy handed.
HOJ
Sapling

Name: Paul

Postby MJ80 » 04 Oct 2021, 10:44

There is a lift lever option to engage the lock and hook as well. I prefer driving it off the key.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 06 Oct 2021, 18:52

HOJ wrote:
Trevanion wrote:I use a lot of these:

I seem to remember that you told me about these before, elsewhere, I spoke to them the other day and I'm confused even more now, one of my doors is 2199mm tall, (I know, bit precise, its going into the barn conversion gable I'm working on) they couldn't confirm the length of the lock, the drawings show them being 2250 long, so presumably you can crop them to length, the others will be 1981mm tall.

Any chance of you could confirm these would work?

Yes, I haven't checked what the length is (2250mm sounds right) but you do just cut them to length, the door handle centre is 1050mm up from the bottom of the door so that you leave the bottom flush and cut the excess off the top with a hacksaw.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking